cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS offers me a downgrade as a replacement.

JL0989
Level 7
I sent in my 2070 Super for fan repair because it was rattling, I got this Email today.

'We are contacting you in regards to your RMA that is currently being serviced by our repair center. However at this time, we would like to offer a replacement to a different model as your original model is not available at this time. The replacement is a fully-tested recertified unit that meets ASUS quality standard. The manufacturer’s warranty will transfer to the replacement product from your original unit. Please keep in mind that receiving a replacement will not extend your warranty.

Problem found with original unit: Parts Shortage

Replacement Model Specifications: Please see attached specifications of your original model for comparison and upgraded model side by side you can choose as replacement and let us know if you accept by replying back to this e-mail.

However, if part(s) become available while a replacement product is being processed, your original unit may be repaired and shipped instead of the replacement. This replacement is final, it is not a loaner and data will not be transferred to the replacement unit. If you wish to accept, please reply back to this email to accept or decline the offer. Please note that if you decline this offer and you wish for us to complete the repairs necessary on your unit, there could be longer wait times to receive the needed parts and make the necessary repairs.'

I opened the the PNG they attached to the Email and seen they are trying to replace my Super with a 2070. Do they think their customers are stupid? They dare call this an upgrade.
3 REPLIES 3

YamNo
Level 7
ASUS is atrocious when it comes to replacements and fixing broken things. I had a MB from them where one of the RAM slots stopped working. I RMA'd it, sent it in and they sent it back saying they weren't going to fix it because there was external damage to the board. It was literally a tiny scratch on the metal audio housing. Not a deep gouge or bent metal, but a tiny scratch. They seem to look for every excuse not to fix things. That's why when I'm buying a GPU, I'll go with EVGA; I've never had any problems RMA'ing something with them.

LOL

ASUS would assume (A$$-U-ME) so! It depends on how long you want to wait.

ASUS 2070 SUPER probably made in China, parts shortage = longer wait (coronavirus).

I don't know what your country of residency is, but in compliance with for instance the EU laws or in my specific case the Dutch law, this is illegal.
A replacement means that the product did not comply with the reasonable expectations that one may have of the product when the purchase agreement was made.
The Dutch law specifically states that an equal or greater product must be send as a replacement or you have the right to nullify the agreement and get a full refund.
This should be done with the original seller or in case the original seller no longer exists with the manufacturer.

So if Asus offers you a replacement that is worse, and in this case it definitely is because it is a matter of hardware with lower specs and performance, you are allowed to demand your money back to be able to buy a new one.

I had this same issue with Asus in the past with my 3 months old G73 that got returned three times in an even worse state from my RMA request. I quoted the law in my response to them and they turned around and send me a newer model.