cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Armoury Crate and Undervolting

firzen46
Level 7
I am currently using the Asus G531 Laptop with i5 and I was looking to undervolting the CPU.
However, as it had armoury crate installed I found that it is interfering with intel XTU.
Most apparently is that whenever I open or close the armoury crate window it will start of stop the XTU monitoring.
I’ve done some research on this forum and I know it's because armoury crate is also based on the XTU structure and the two can clash, hence the two should not be used together.
But there are also cases where using throttlestop also breaks armoury crate’s monitoring process.
(I suspect its Throttlestop is somehow interfering with the XTU part of armoury crate)
So does this mean I can’t undervolt the system without causing some issue?
3 REPLIES 3

Void_Nemesis
Level 7
That's something I've been wondering as well. I have a GL504GV (i7-8750H/RTX 2060) and when I tried messing around with undervolts a few months ago, I had the same behaviour - starting armoury crate would mess with XTU/Throttlestop settings (tried both), and vice versa. I've also noticed that changing the fan preset in Armoury Crate (Silent/Balanced/Turbo etc.) changes the power limit of the CPU.
I haven't found a good answer to this question, and at this point I think the only way would be to either permanently disable armoury crate (which might cause issues with RBG and Asus drivers) or for Asus to add the ability to customize voltages and power limits inside Armoury Crate itself.
Main machine: Asus ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR - Ryzen 9 5900HS, 16GB DDR4-3200, RTX 3070
Server: Fractal Design Node 804 - Asus TUF B550M-PLUS, Ryzen 9 3900X, 48GB DDR4-3000, Radeon HD 5670, 6TB storage

Old machines: Asus ROG Strix Hero II GL504GV - i7-8750H, RTX 2060; Asus ROG G750JM - i7-4700HQ, GTX 860m.

i was thinking the same thing and just posted a thread about this
one thing that I keep asking in my mind is "Can I set up my fan speed without Armoury Crate?"
Im using a Throttlestop but kinda curious about XTU and found out the Armoury Crate also running the XTU services wich is that makes my XTU software unable to start.

the reason why i trying to use the XTU is I think the Throttlestop is not working very well or is it conflicted with the Armoury Crate but if I uninstalled the Armoury Crate I cannot setting my fan speed and my laptop temprature is higher than the Armoury Crate installed you know the fan speed features is help alot on keeping the tempratures for a laptop

my laptop is ROG Strix G531GV by the way

Void_Nemesis
Level 7
Yes, Armoury Crate is the utility that's supposed to fine-tune the fans in the laptop to manage the heat. It also controls RGB, is linked to the Realtek audio software, and a few other things (touchpad, windows key toggle, laptop screen switching between 60Hz/144Hz etc.) that are pretty important for the laptop. As it is, I'd recommend against removing it. The best bet is to ask Asus for an undervolting feature (I think Armoury Crate already works in concert with Asus GPU Tweak II, but I haven't been able to confirm that - does anyone know?) at some point down the line.
Main machine: Asus ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR - Ryzen 9 5900HS, 16GB DDR4-3200, RTX 3070
Server: Fractal Design Node 804 - Asus TUF B550M-PLUS, Ryzen 9 3900X, 48GB DDR4-3000, Radeon HD 5670, 6TB storage

Old machines: Asus ROG Strix Hero II GL504GV - i7-8750H, RTX 2060; Asus ROG G750JM - i7-4700HQ, GTX 860m.