cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Z390-E Won't Boot After BIOS Update

PlasmaWaffle
Level 7
Hey all,

I just tried to update my BIOS on my ASUS Z390-E motherboard, and now can't boot back into Windows. I tried resetting my BIOS settings back to default and cleared CMOS (left battery out ~15 minutes.)

When I initially try to boot up, it appears to detect my drives, but possibly thinks there's a RAID array (which there is not). It lists them off (2 SATA drives & 2 M.2 drives) and says:

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting.
After setting up Intel(R) Optane Memory or the RAID configuration was built, SATA Mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues.
Press F1 to Run SETUP

When I look at my boot options in the BIOS, the only option listed isn't an actual hard drive. I have an ASUS RYUO AIO CPU Cooler which has a screen on it, so the device technically has 4 MB of storage, and it shows that as a boot option. My only 2 listed options are the RYUO, and "Disabled".

I downloaded the BIOS update again on a different flash drive, from a different computer (in case of the off-chance that the initial update I tried was somehow corrupted), and ran that again - still getting the same problem.

I checked the SATA mode & it's in AHCI

Does anybody have any ideas of anything else I can try/check? This is driving me nuts! Thanks so much in advanced for taking the time to read this and for any suggestions.
4 REPLIES 4

PlasmaWaffle
Level 7
Update: Fixed! For anyone else who runs into the issue, I had to turn on "Launch CSM" in the BIOS settings
Just hit F9 and search for CSM

Yes
Watch this on all Z390 boards ,I first came across this a year ago when I had no boot options to boot from dvd to install Windows 10, on the same board.
Ridiculous that this
is not enabled by default, as on previous Asus boards !
Also the default version 1 Bios loaded was a problem anyway

sireric
Level 8
Is this the CSM submenu in the boot bios settings? *I've tried going in there and enabling/disabling it, and I still can't see the drive in the boot menu. *Or is this CSM setting elsewhere in the bios?

sireric
Level 8
Ok, got the drive back on the menu. But now it says GST header corruption detected. *Any ideas?