cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6EO 9980xe and New BIOS 3006

Super_Gnome
Level 11
At least since installing the week old 3006 BIOS (but maybe before that, I'm not absolutely certain it's only since 3006 but think so) with my rig Windows power setting set at Power Saver and the BIOS settings all at default (no overclocking at all) the CPU clock speeds (and also temperatures) are very high. At idle the cores are flying at 4100 MHz with no windows or apps open with the CPU core temperatures very high and reaching in the 90s plus range with very basic tasks. At idle unless the fans are blasting at full (because I adjusted this manually) the temperatures are nuts. There is no dust at all in the system, and it runs a water cooler, a Ryujin in fact. A virus scan done by a pro company found no virus, nor did any other virus scans. Task Manager shows nothing is using the CPU in any way a lot at all.

Can anyone help with this issue? I have powered the rig down until I know how to tackle this. This kind of thing can cook your components.

Edit: I have shot an email to Asus Support and will report on the issue when a reply is out.

Edit 2: In case you'd like more info, I posted this at Tom's Hardware, and it relates to this problem. I am reposting it here as copied from what I wrote there instead of retyping it all:

My rig is less than a year old, and the CPU cores of my i9 processor are all stuck at 4100 MHz. These numbers are very high at idle. I have changed the Windows power settings from Balanced to Power saver and this had no effect. Since the system is Asus, I have uninstalled AI Suite III thinking I maybe had accidentally changed something when adjusting the fan speeds recently.

The system has never been overclocked and the BIOS settings have all always been set to default.

A few things about the system's recent history may relate. In the past month or so the system crashed three times and got a blue screen while playing Wow (never having crashed before). The error message was: DRIVER_IRLQ _NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. What failed: afd.sys

Also, a few days ago, thinking something was up with my system because of the blue screens, I discovered that three days earlier a new BIOS had become available on the motherboard support page. I promptly got my hands on it and installed it.

Last night, while looking at HWMonitor, I noticed that the high clock speeds, which coincidentally are occurring with high CPU core temperatures, maxing in the range of 92 or so degrees, with idle temperatures of around 70 or so. I have also since maxed out the case fan speeds, having them blast at full speed which does lower the temperatures to 60 or so. However, this is freaking me out, so I have since stopped using this rig altogether.

The motherboard is an ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega, the CPU is a 9980xe, and the CPU cooler is an Asus Ryujin water cooler.
11 REPLIES 11

boscacci
Level 8
Same issue with an Apex and a 7980xe

Reverted back to bios 2002 and everything is fine again.

boscacci wrote:

Interesting. I have been tempted to do that, but don't want to do that for a few reasons. When updating to 3006 I rushed to do it thinking some blue screens my system had recently witnessed were because of a bug or instability issues that 3006 addressed. If the system is switched back maybe the crashes will come back. Second, changing the BIOS can be risky. If Asus has a fix in the form of another BIOS update soon, then all the switching back and forth will mean heightened risks. Third, I can't be bothered. What a nuisance, and more bother with this will chew through even another chunk of time. I spent five hours alone trying to see if there was some kind of virus on the system--playing chat tag with a security software maker, doing scans, and feeling like a zombie doing this late into the night and even more so now, the next day.

Anyhow, bravo for the info. I had been worried the problem started before the BIOS switch--possibly months ago, and the CPU, which was insanely expensive, could have suffered undue wear and tear with the crazy temperatures. I am on my rig day and night and have been for a while now. Anyhow, that not the case, i can rest easier.

boscacci wrote:

I posted about this issue at Tom's Hardware, and a moderator commented saying that some motherboards default to overclocking!!! Is that the case here?

boscacci wrote:

I have an X299e + 7820x and updated to 3006.
Problems encountered:
1: When OC'd with the same settings as 2002, computer would not wake from sleep. I tested and found that to restore wake capability, I had to downgrade RAM speed in BIOS from 3200 (native) to 3000.
2: The setting to "turn off Q-Code when OS running" is missing
3: Aura utility no longer sees the motherboard LEDs, but does see my LED RAM.

I then tried reverting back to 2002 and EZ Flash said the bios file wasn't valid (yes - FAT32) so I used the Flashback button/usb slot and was able to flash back to 2002. Everything seems to be working OK (after repairing my boot menu) but ASUS Aura still does not see the MB LEDs, just the RAM.

EaglezRock wrote:
I have an X299e + 7820x and updated to 3006.
Problems encountered:
1: When OC'd with the same settings as 2002, computer would not wake from sleep. I tested and found that to restore wake capability, I had to downgrade RAM speed in BIOS from 3200 (native) to 3000.
2: The setting to "turn off Q-Code when OS running" is missing
3: Aura utility no longer sees the motherboard LEDs, but does see my LED RAM.

I then tried reverting back to 2002 and EZ Flash said the bios file wasn't valid (yes - FAT32) so I used the Flashback button/usb slot and was able to flash back to 2002. Everything seems to be working OK (after repairing my boot menu) but ASUS Aura still does not see the MB LEDs, just the RAM.

Glad to hear you reverted back to 2002. Have you installed the couple week old chipset driver too (not sure if your system has one though--but if not watch for it). My rig was suddenly restarting once or twice a day till installing that. So basically the older chipset driver was problematic.

Regarding Asus Aura: For me it worked nicely for a few months. Then it stopped working and nothing I did got it working the way I wanted it. I then spent half a day installing and unistalling Asus software until it seemed to be okay. Then my rig started getting blue screens, so I reinstalled Windows using the Windows "Refresh Tool." I then could not be bothered to work through all the bull spit again, so I now have the rig parked out of sight. The CPU cooler temperature on the display is not correct though anyhow--it displays the temperature of a probe behind the CPU--which can be off as much as thirty degrees vs the CPU core temperatures--this I have witnessed first hand. Hence there is no point to it really anyhow--it's just fancy lights with no practical value really. I guess it will be nice if you park it near your Christmas tree come December, but otherwise it's just a source of frustration and a constant reminder Asus software needs a lot of fixing.

Sorry if my comments have nothing to offer except to advise watching for a new chipset driver. Also, the support page for your motherboard should have info regarding Aura. On my motherboard page there is info about what to install in driver descriptions in the list of drivers you can download.

Good luck, and please keep posting regarding your progress.

restsugavan
Level 13
Yes if you’re choosing F5 load optimized default then XMP Profile.
W11CANARY 26100.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.12 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

I contacted Asus support via email about this and got this response:

lPease perform the following troubleshooting steps I have outlined below to try to fix the issue:

Check CPU fan is connected to the CPU Fan header properly.
Check is heatsink/fan and CPU has proper contact by checking thermal paste.
Possible that the thermal paste have dried up and not overheating.
Suggest installing a pea size thermal paste to the processor die and make sure to put good contact with the heatsink/fan. it should cool it down a bit
If 1-4 steps do not work, Turn off the system, check bent pins on the socket; if not bent pins, replace processor

After reading this bogus reply, I contacted Asus support via chat and got a hello from a customer service rep and then got immediately disconnected. Lol.

High fives Asus.

I tried, multiple times, a CMOS reset via the physical button on the mobo. In one attempt, I resetted the CMOS and left everything on default. In any single case, Windows 10 responded with stuck clocks on all the cores.

I have tried all my usual and well tested settings and nothing changed, again and again.

At the end, reverted back to bios 2002 and everything went back to normality.

Asus support is shameful...

boscacci wrote:

Asus support is shameful...

It's not only that. This new BIOS evidently has not been properly designed or tested.

And another thing. With the clocks speeds so high, the CPU cores were reaching temperatures in the nineties and the fans and the Ryujin water cooler were doing nothing to counter these high temperatures. Zero. The core temperatures only dropped when I manually moved the AI Suite III fan settings to full. Honestly, it is wrong to think you will audibly be alerted that something is up. That is, if you are expecting your fans to kick in and cool down an overheating CPU, then you are wrong. Had I not checked HWMonitor, and a few days after installing this new flawed BIOS, it is not unreasonable to wonder if the motherboard might not have burst into flames.

Hence, the problems here go way deeper than support. The problems reach deeper and into design too. Honestly, I doubt I am going to foot out top dollars or any dollars at all for Asus hardware after this. I have been under the false impression that the hardware is good. I mean, if the software is not doing its job, then the hardware, even if it is the best in the world, is not going to last long at all (and will possibly cook itself, and maybe even burst into flames). And what's the point of forking out top dollars for a premium, well designed product, when clearly that is not the case at all.

So what?! Will Asus fix this BIOS issue? It has the money for all the fancy cosmetic design looks and marketing. Is that where it spends its money? And the more important critical question that this whole sham is indicating... This motherboard, that is supposed to be a premium item, is not doing its cooling job properly at all. And if you want proper cooling you have to manually monitor your CPU core temperatures and manually move your fan speeds yourself.

What a joke. And if you think this is an overreaction then look up the price of an Intel 9980xe processor and ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega motherboard.