cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default for BIOS 3006

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Does this new BIOS default to overclocking the CPU? Anyone?
6 REPLIES 6

restsugavan
Level 13
Yes! If you’re use F5 Load Optimized Default then choose XMP Profile.

W11CANARY 26090.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Sorry but I dont understand. Are you saying I should switch from default to something else? I have not changed the settings in any way after installing.

Do you mean I should switch to Optimized Default and then choose XMP? Sorry I dont understand anything but simple language.

Just asking because my CPU is stuck with all cores running at around 4100 MHz while idling with this new BIOS. The setting is default and auto, not XMP. I don't like it at all because my cores are running at idle at 70 degrees unless the fans are blasting at full speed. The fans are commercial server grade fans too.

Frankly speaking, I am worried I have already half cooked my CPU at this point without knowing it having it at default.

Super Gnome wrote:
Sorry but I dont understand. Are you saying I should switch from default to something else? I have not changed the settings in any way after installing.

Do you mean I should switch to Optimized Default and then choose XMP? Sorry I dont understand anything but simple language.

Just asking because my CPU is stuck with all cores running at around 4100 MHz while idling with this new BIOS. The setting is default and auto, not XMP. I don't like it at all because my cores are running at idle at 70 degrees unless the fans are blasting at full speed. The fans are commercial server grade fans too.

Frankly speaking, I am worried I have already half cooked my CPU at this point without knowing it having it at default.

Optimized settings are charged when flashing a new bios, so if u enter the bios after flashing and press optimized settings, u are doing nothing.

The cpu stuck at 4100 could be caused by intel speedshift. This parameter was introduced to enhance classic speedstep and tries to modify the cpu clock to turbo as fast as possible in order to speed up the processes and it's hardware controlled. So if u use CPU-Z or another monitoring APP, u'll see your cpu continously going up to turbo clock. If u want to have the classic speedstep, just disable speedshift in Bios, along with autonomous C states.

I also found Microcode 68 combined with Bios 3006 could cause Bad Pool Header GSOD's in Windows 10 (non Insider Version).
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED

vmanuelgm wrote:
Optimized settings are charged when flashing a new bios, so if u enter the bios after flashing and press optimized settings, u are doing nothing.

The cpu stuck at 4100 could be caused by intel speedshift. This parameter was introduced to enhance classic speedstep and tries to modify the cpu clock to turbo as fast as possible in order to speed up the processes and it's hardware controlled. So if u use CPU-Z or another monitoring APP, u'll see your cpu continously going up to turbo clock. If u want to have the classic speedstep, just disable speedshift in Bios, along with autonomous C states.

I also found Microcode 68 combined with Bios 3006 could cause Bad Pool Header GSOD's in Windows 10 (non Insider Version).

Thanks for the info. Maybe you are right, but I think there is some kind of bug or kink at play. I am simply not going to do anything for the time being because I am already worried that my $2000 CPU could have already suffered damage because it was probably running at these crazy clock speeds with the core temperatures in the nineties for maybe thirty or forty hours while this machine was in use after installing an obviously untested and not quality assured 3006.

As for Asus and their horrible support and perpetually flawed software... Enough said. I won't be making any more builds with any Asus hardware ever again.

restsugavan
Level 13
Checking your Cooling Kit first, maybe It was not installed properly.*
9980XE was STIM packager normally it will be cooler than my CPU when idle.

The F5 Load Optimized setting default from ASUS BIOS setting was better than
default setting a little bit. it will overclock L3 cache and IMC of Skylake X to 2.7GHz
from 2.4GHz default. These help reduce latency on DDR4/L3 cache access.

The XMP setting may help IMC and high speed DDR4 kit working *smoothly.

W11CANARY 26090.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Croxy
Level 9
I've just upgraded to the new 3006 release and the system won't boot. It hangs with an error code of 00 (which is strange because this is not used). Once the system hangs, if I turn off the power and then turn the system back on, it boots...?

Had a look at the various bios settings and found if I turn off XMP (which I've run since day one), the system boots.

Anyone else experiencing this?

PS: Using ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming mobo