cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always booting back to the BIOS?

rsweeko
Level 9
Full shutdown or reset. Can't get past the bios now. I was trying to solve the issue of having the BIOS see the third SSD drive as "Present"' in the bios and shown in the device manager. I had two NVMe drives working well and wanted to add in a third SATA SSD. It was not being seen either by BIOS or the device manager in win10. The NVMe drives are shown in the device manager. I decided to reset to defaults, do a save and reset and now cannot get out of the bios in booting. Always comes back to the bios window now.
So I thought of clearing the CMOS. The crosshair viii hero manual says to use the clear cmos button "only when the system hangs due to overclocking". Where do I go from here? Will clearing the CMOS work and if so, power down, pull the plug, and hit the CMOS button after a minute or so, and boot back up?
My PC was previously working very nicely on the two NVMe drives. This darn SATA third drive "not present" issue is hair pulling.
I have been communicating with Asus support on this issue. Case number N200253701 if that helps any.
Ron
2 REPLIES 2

rsweeko
Level 9
Second ASUS build. Just learning this new PC and how the BIOS works.
My mobo would not recognize a third SSD plugged in so I was working with the help of the ASUS tech group who, by all means, is very consistent and helpful with this build. Anyway, the solution was to simply just reset the BIOS. I held down the CMOS button a few seconds. The BIOS was now clean and new. It recognized the third drive which I enabled and made a few other adjustments. I created a clone. Seems like the PC is running OK now.

davemon50
Level 11
Hmm, maybe I should've tried that same thing with my own board. When I tried to install a PCIe card with a second NVMe M.2 on it I got that same boot loop to BIOS and never got it recognized. I gave up and used USB instead in an enclosure.
Davemon50