cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme stuck at Ad

Artureld
Level 7
Hello All,

I’ve had this issue which has been annoying to say the least. So my PC was working perfectly fine, went down to make coffee came back and it was stuck on a black screen and what I reckon was some issue going into standby. Fair enough I reboot it and lo and behold it won’t load Windows anymore. Q-code is stuck on Ad and if I reset it goes to Fb and no windows loading or anything.*

The boot process goes as normal and then when the handoff needs to occur where windows 10 pro starts loading and the boot activity diode blinks incessantly. It just flickers twice and nothing happens. I’ve pretty much exhausted all options at this stage.
I’ve tried the following in no particular order:

Bios update to 4104
CMOS reset
Switching BIOS
Disconnecting all the SATA cables to rule out a bad SSD.
Removing the M.2 and reinstalling it.
Removing the M.2 drive entirely
Trying to boot off the media creation USB stick with just the M.2 drive and without it.
Removing all USB cables including those that are apart of the monitor hub.
Disabling CMS.
Toggling Fast Boot to off.
Re-flashing the BIOS*

At this stage I can’t think of anything else. Everything is being detected in the BIOS. The PC starts just fine but it just won’t start loading in Windows, even via USB stick (media creation tool)

I’d really appreciate help, I’ve been holding off upgrading thanks to all this great competition in play from AMD but if this is something hardware related then I might need to bite the bullet and upgrade earlier than I had wanted.

Thought I’d ask the community if they had any tips or suggestions because I couldn’t find anything that rectified the problem.*
12 REPLIES 12

Vox_From_Englan
Level 7
Hi there

I have the Rampage VI Extreme

I had a total of 5 now because I keep doing RMA to Asus, I have had just about every error code u can think of, check Nvram, check CPU, detect mem, load VGA drivers and more, all I can says is that when I get these errors I reluctantly power down and press the cmos button on the rear I/O for 10 seconds and hope it will come back to factory default.
when it does go post then into the bios and change a few things like pice_3 to hyperx16 data disable the cpu fan header as im custom loop cooled

it has driven me crazy for almost a year.

all my other Asus mobos have been fabulous, no issues,worked great but this model I think is flawed.

sorry no real answer for you I wish I could have told you to do x, y z and boom your up and running

P.s try the cmos clear button on the rear I/O

Good luck

BigJohnny
Level 13
Sounds like something USB related. Unplug everything but what is necessary. Maybe even try media creation on a different stick.

Artureld
Level 7
Thanks for the replies, I tried removing all the USB headers on the motherboard, disconnected the second ultrawide, still nothing. I have no idea why its not booting up Windows. I tried the USB Media Creation Tool stick with another laptop and desktop and it works flawlessly. At this stage i'm thinking the motherboard has bit the dust and I might just cough out for the Edition 10 until the summer when I do decide to do a full blown upgrade with a new case, GPUs, and CPU.

BigJohnny
Level 13
If its still under warranty RMA that puppy!

One other thing worth trying is rollback to an earlier BIOS.
Ask a few otehr RVE owners what version they are running. They have pretty much stopped support on that platfrom and you might be able to find a BIOS from a trusted source with an updated microcode as that could also be the cause of your woes. All the Spectre and meltdown patches in the OS not matching whats on the MOBO. Even an earlier version of Win 10 might do the trick then disable updates until you can get it sorted as in when its time to bite the bullet and update. Im running the RVIE with no issues with a modded BIOS with better microcode than what the stock one has and one version back from the newest because too many people reporting issues very similar you yours with RVIE rom 3006.

BigJohnny wrote:
If its still under warranty RMA that puppy!

One other thing worth trying is rollback to an earlier BIOS.
Ask a few otehr RVE owners what version they are running. They have pretty much stopped support on that platfrom and you might be able to find a BIOS from a trusted source with an updated microcode as that could also be the cause of your woes. All the Spectre and meltdown patches in the OS not matching whats on the MOBO. Even an earlier version of Win 10 might do the trick then disable updates until you can get it sorted as in when its time to bite the bullet and update. Im running the RVIE with no issues with a modded BIOS with better microcode than what the stock one has and one version back from the newest because too many people reporting issues very similar you yours with RVIE rom 3006.

Hi BigJohnny,

I tried using the second BIOS which was on a very old version 0603 and unfortunately I've run into the same problem. But I'll have a look on the forums because I've seen some really good updates to the BIOS with newer microcodes and the like and better changes. Worth giving it a shot at this stage since I don't have anything to lose.

davemon50
Level 11
Perhaps you are not getting enough power to motherboard to boot after POST. Have you checked your main connector and your 8-pin too? GPU power connector(s) too.

Also, you might benefit in time and frustration by checking to see if it's the CPU itself. Get ahold of a very cheap CPU that you can test in the socket to see if that is the issue. If it boots you need to buy a new one. If not, you haven't spent that much time or money to test it, and can probably pawn off the cheap one.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Perhaps you are not getting enough power to motherboard to boot after POST. Have you checked your main connector and your 8-pin too? GPU power connector(s) too.

Also, you might benefit in time and frustration by checking to see if it's the CPU itself. Get ahold of a very cheap CPU that you can test in the socket to see if that is the issue. If it boots you need to buy a new one. If not, you haven't spent that much time or money to test it, and can probably pawn off the cheap one.

Just checked the voltages to see if they were fine and rechecked all the cables, everything seems to be in order. I'm just wondering if it could be the CPU, from what I gather CPU error would mean a blank screen with 00 Q-code with a flashing yellow light as some of the other people have experienced with this particular board.

In any case attaching screenshots of the voltages directly from the BIOS so you guys can have a look as well.

i have same problem with you, stuck on loading windows (after bios screen) or restart sometime blue screen,same problem when using usb media creation tool. in post code b1 then A0.
but i can boot into windows normaly with only one core, other disable.
before i have that problem,my pc stuck on shutdown and then i shutdown manualy.
my asus z170 deluxe + i7 6700k
and now i plan to build new pc.

davemon50
Level 11
Athalayogi has a winning idea here. Artureld, are you able to isolate the cores 1 by 1 (in BIOS) to see if you have a problem core? I can do that in my own RVE10 BIOS but I don't know the RVE BIOS.
Davemon50