cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix Scar II GL504GM - Battery to zero 0%

Marioss
Level 7
Hello,

I have Asus Rog Strix Scar II GL504GM, the issue im running into is about the battery. When my battery is below 50% (more or less) and the laptop is off, when i power it on, and it is NOT with charger on, it starts normally and when i see the log in screen, i see the battery on the down right corner on the percentage that it was before i shut it down, and sudenly goes to 0 and shuts down. And when i power it on again (with charger this time), it is 0%.

It is not draining when i shut it off, because this can be happen also if it is 50%, i shut it, and turn it on again after 15 minuts for example, so it is not drainage, also i see the percentage of the battery i had before i shuted, at least for 1 sec, so for a weird reason it remembers the % but then it goes to 0 and shuts it imediately. If it passes this second, and it not turned off, then its is ok, so sometimes it turns off, sometimes it waits for me to login as a normal boot procedure.

I have All latest windows updates, i have latest bios update 310, i am really really carefull with the laptop, not stress it, not force it, etc. I tried the tips i read on internet about fast boot, from computer or from bios or both, unistalled the Intel rapid storrage also that i read is not helping for that, also "delete" the battery from device manager so it installs its drivers again when it boots, still didnt help. The laptop is about 8 months new with extreme careful useage, and good battery charging.

Except this, the battery working fine, and this is happening once every 2-3 boots, sometimes on every boot, this is never happend when my battery was 100% charged on the last shutdown. I dont know i feel it is software issue not hardware/battery issue because it happens only sometimes not always. So guys did anyone had this issue before? can you suggest something to try? Thank tou in advance.
278 REPLIES 278

gieffe22
Level 7
MAn i have the exact same issue on my gl704gw, (even when battery is at about 60-70% sometimes). The culprit is to leave it for some hours (6 to 10) unplugged and when it boots or reboots it does the same things as your.

I sended last month on assistance, they changed me the battery (and i have confirmed that the battery is new because this new battery have just no wear, my old one had 8% of wear) and the problem is not solved.

So, i was suspecting this is a windows problem with some patches or updates of some bioses and driver... and the fact that you have the exact same issue is conforting somehow. Let me know if you send on assistance if you resolve the issue

No i didnt sent to asus service because this period i really need this computer, so i would sent it maybe a month later. Also as you (probablly) confirmed, it seems like is not a hardware (battery) issue, seems like a software issue, although this is just my opinion. But you said you sent it and didnt fix the issue. So if we have the same problem is not gonna fix mine either.

Could be happend for me also on 60%, i can tell that. Also i have the KB4532693 windows 10 latest patch (you can see the latest one if you write "systeminfo" command on windows 10 cmd), and i read a lot of complains for this patch, that it is problematic, so lets hope it is a windows update fix, or a bios fix.

This is really bad because it cant be used a s portable laptop, sudenly became a Desktop that i have to be pluged in all the time. It destroys te portabilitiy (ok the 2,5- 3 hours one because the battery usage is not that long, but still)

I have installed ALL apps and drivers from the official asus website, everything that is in the list, i installed the latest ones. And the issue was there, but now i have removed "MYASUS" necause i see those profiles for battery life etc so i tried to remove and the "intel rapid storage technolgy" because i read that this may be the issue for my problem.

None of them worked. The only software that i update constantly is the graphics card drivers from geforce experience, when a new one comes, i install it, all the others are those that asus propose from the official website

Yes it started to happend from end of 2019, not sure about november but i think yes. At first i thought it was my problem that i forgot the laptop on sleep mode (with just the lid closed, not shut it down) and after a while i thought it was normal for the battery to drain to 0, but then it started to happening more often so i saw that it wasnt my fault.

Also i e-mailed to asus and said me to try to "SHIFT + SHUTDOWN" the laptop, not just SHUTDOWN because they said on windows 10 if you dont SHIFT + SHOTDOWN it goes to hibernate by default!!!! That 1st is crazy if its true, why by default the "shutdown" button, DONT shuts down the laptop? does not make sence, and 2nd i tried it also but no luck. (i think this shuts the laptop without waiting for fast boot but im not sure)

gieffe22
Level 7
For sake of diagnostic... which asus system services you have installed right now? And the problem when notified for the first time? in my case for example it begins to end of november. You too? Just to understand if maybe is some service or apps of asus

(for example you have my asus? asus hotkeys (atk package)? asus system control interface?) yoou can see some of those services on control panel, some other in device manager on system devices section)

gieffe22
Level 7
if you too have the issue since mid november-december is for sure some thing that asus updated... you can give me screenshot of this thing in you device manager please?

and if you have that thing, open proprieties and say to me which version you have... i have the feeling that asus system control interface can be the culprit because i have 2 driver listed here, one of january, and one of november, with a date similar at when start the problem.

Now i don't know if the problem is for sure software or maybe is some fault on motherboard... but for sure is not a battery problem. fortunatly i use this laptop basically like a desktop and if you had to use like on the go charge at 100% so you are sure that the problem will not present (it only appears when your laptop stay OFF with 50-60% charge for 6 to 12 hours unplugged).

I don't know what's happening but this is pure messy thing by asus... they say to me to resend laptop but me like you have a very heavy use of laptop and can't resend and stay another 3 weeks without laptop...

Then I'm in a pretty lucky position because I have a laptop for 1.5 years and no problem with the battery. According to the AIDA64 program, 11% is worn out. What could be a problem with the electronics in the battery. Half a year it should be completely discharged to a level at which the machine no longer turns on at all. Then off fully charge. The battery circuit then calibrates the charge status. Even with today's mobile phones, it's a good idea to do this sometimes.

gieffe22 Ok i will Upload a screenshot of those information on evening when i go back home. Yes this is exactly the issue, 3 weeks (at least), i need this machine for my job and this is the 2nd time i need to sent it, they propose me 5 times to restore to factory settings, no this cant be happening all the time, i cant install all my apps and files etc from start 5 time in a bit more than half a year usage.

And why they sent it back to you if they didnt fix it? they just replace the battery and sent it back to you? if they cant fix it then who can? i am serching on internet and on forums like this one to find a solution, i experiment myself everything i can guess with my experience as a computer/network technician and trying to guess what assus did wrong, sadenly in a day they decided send an update and broke it. And this is the 2nd time i am dealing with an issue what took me so much time searching and waiting, i had a issue with the fans, was 100% when idle, i sent it, the replace me the fans and was fine, i lost 1 month waiting, and another month searching myself.

But this cant be happening all the time, this laptop was so expensice, is not normal to pay so much money and then lossing so much time trying to find a solution or waiting for them to fix it and sent it back after 1 month. Sorry i got frustrated and mad:D haha.

Marioss wrote:
gieffe22 Ok i will Upload a screenshot of those information on evening when i go back home. Yes this is exactly the issue, 3 weeks (at least), i need this machine for my job and this is the 2nd time i need to sent it, they propose me 5 times to restore to factory settings, no this cant be happening all the time, i cant install all my apps and files etc from start 5 time in a bit more than half a year usage.

And why they sent it back to you if they didnt fix it? they just replace the battery and sent it back to you? if they cant fix it then who can? i am serching on internet and on forums like this one to find a solution, i experiment myself everything i can guess with my experience as a computer/network technician and trying to guess what assus did wrong, sadenly in a day they decided send an update and broke it. And this is the 2nd time i am dealing with an issue what took me so much time searching and waiting, i had a issue with the fans, was 100% when idle, i sent it, the replace me the fans and was fine, i lost 1 month waiting, and another month searching myself.

But this cant be happening all the time, this laptop was so expensice, is not normal to pay so much money and then lossing so much time trying to find a solution or waiting for them to fix it and sent it back after 1 month. Sorry i got frustrated and mad:D haha.

you've right... probably this is my last rog. So many problems for a high class machine! I send first time last year for a motherboard replacement (mobo died one moarning fron right do death in just one second), they replaced 2 motherboard before resend laptop to mee (they said that the new motherboard was faulty and orderder another LOL!). After 6 months the battery problem, almost another month without laptop, it come back with this new battery and problem is still here unsolved (for this i assume that is software or again some thing on motherboard). I don't like at all.
I love this machine when it works, but so many many troubles for a 2000 euro's computer.

Anyway, this is not my first rog, 2 years ago i buyed gl503vm, fortunatly i sended back to store 3 times (3!!!!) because every unit was a screen problem that i find it's like this on every gl503vm in europe (and most of the people think that's just a bad display! LOL). I buyed next the 703vm and this one was just perfect for 1 year... then i selled because i want the rtx gpu's, buyed this 704gw and the odissey just begins.

Is incredible such a great laptop can be so bad just because of quality control in asus factory.

So... i'm here waiting for you to update me with those two asus driver, i think that asus system control interface can be the issue here just for the strange timing of the november update (just when starts my problem)...

PowerPein wrote:
Then I'm in a pretty lucky position because I have a laptop for 1.5 years and no problem with the battery. According to the AIDA64 program, 11% is worn out. What could be a problem with the electronics in the battery. Half a year it should be completely discharged to a level at which the machine no longer turns on at all. Then off fully charge. The battery circuit then calibrates the charge status. Even with today's mobile phones, it's a good idea to do this sometimes.

as i said... i just sendend last month laptop on assistance, they changed me the battery with a new one and restored the os. It does nothing, still the same problem.

So, is just some software/service from asus i think (seem's that on linux live distro it does not reproduce the problem), or in the worst case a motherboard fault in the battery readings.