cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot problem on Z390 STRIX-E after BIOS update (1401)

sireric
Level 8
Hi,

With previous bios, I had no issues booting to windows 10 on my Samsung NVME m2 1TB SSD. However, after flashing to the latest 1401 bios, only network and USB show up as bootable disks. The NVME SSD and my regular HD show up in the advance bios settings under NVME and storage devices, but both are missing from the boot list. I've tried both enabling and disabling CSM (boot -> CSM -> Enable/disable), but no change. Any idea of how to restore my M.2 SSD as a bootable device?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

BigJohnny
Level 13
Id guess something in the BIOS isnt set correctly. One little thing off will screw you up. As a rule of thumb before updating any BIOS I write down the setting page by page then prior to flashing new ROM Clear the CMOS or reset to "optomized defaults" prior to the flash. May be worth just trying to reflash it again or even roll back to previous version. Also my other rule is if it isnt broke dont fix it.

Dont have that board but have had similar issues and found a setting off under onboard devices or PCH controllers. Also check that you dont have something set to where that M2 slot is sharing lanes with another device or slot.

Almost bet my left nut that its something simple and stupid.

sireric
Level 8
I got it to boot by doing the following:
1. Enabling CSM and setting UEFI for PCIe component
2. Disabling fast boot
3. unplugging my USB3 backup drive

It seems to be getting confused with the USB3 drive. *When plugged in, I get the "GPT corruption detected" error. Previous bios did not have that problem, so I think this is a potential bug in 1401. *I've tried disabling legacy USB, but cannot disable CSM (since that got it to boot in the first place). *Not sure if anyone has found a fix for this?

Thanks*

BigJohnny
Level 13
On first boot thats a given, Always have everything USB unplugged except mouse and keyboard. The CSM enabled and fast boot should have no effect although I always disable fast boot in both the BIOS and in windows OS. Its not any faster and if you have a problem and do a restart it just reloads the same problem that was resident in memory right back up and can leave you chasing your tale. What it really is should be called hybrid hibernate because it does the same thing. Dump memory and kernel to hiberfil.sys file then loads that back into memory coming back up. That can be a lot of wasted space as it dumps the entire contents of ram and all current operating parameters to the file on the drive. Then when it cant find it coming back up you get what you got. Go to power setting, change what power buttons do (yes stupid place for it) click on change settings that are currently unavailable and get rid of fast start up. This way you get a fresh load every time and not rebooting into the same problems

sireric
Level 8
Thanks. *But does that mean you have to unplug the USB3 device every time you reboot?

gbishtnw
Level 7
After upgrade BIOS 1401 on Z390-F, my PC is rebooting automatically.
Should I downgrade it ?

On older BIOS 1105, I started facing issue when I m starting PC, (not before)
I have to start PC several times to get display or Keyboard/mouse.
Switch off from SMPS, No RGB on board then Turn ON SMPS then Push start button----Working procedure on Bios 1105

Z390 e gaming mobo issue
I have bought z390 e gaming mobo last October and it's works well
But after few months ,
I had an issue... ( issue no 1 )
_ when connect my external hdd its stucks and freezes for a while and the aura LEDs where gonna off and on
Then after 2times of the cycle , then only hdd will ready for working

Now , am having an serious issue I dont even what is the reason and why it's happening...( issue no 2 serious issue)
_ mobos is not giving out properly , sudenly mouse freezes and return to normal I think its mouse issue and replaced it and problems continues In same way
I mean the output is unstable , suddenly the output is gone and my monitor rechecks the signal and give it back
Sometime once output is gone , the output never comes back ...

And I check with my i think it because of my gpu but I check all hdmi and do ports on gpu with different new cables , and then i removed my gpu and connected to my motherboard out ( display port ) . And still the issue us continued very soon ( intervals ) my screen suddenly goes to off . Even I check both hdmi and dp outputs on mobo and even I replaced new cables 

I have tired many ways even reflashed my bios ( 1401 ) but problems still remains

Anybody pls help me out of this ....

And I wanna is if it's a mobo problem ,is they will replace a new one ??
Am from chennai ( india )