cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Boot Issues with ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore and Prime 30th Anniversary

K01D57331
Level 9
I originally started off with the Prime 30th Anniversary board but it had an issue where during POST it would stop at CPU00 and Memory Detect. It would freeze there so I would hold down power button to restart system. On next boot it would POST to BIOS Safe Mode and I would have to get into BIOS and then exit out of BIOS to boot up. It would boot up fine from there until the next cold start up.

I called tech support and what a joke it was. I have been waiting for a real Asus tech to call me but no one ever did.

I returned that board and got the ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore.

It is behaving the same since I got the board and upgraded the BIOS. I have switched out every component and still the same.

I switched over to the BIOS slot 2 and I did not have the cold start up issue. I was having some stability problems under BIOS 2 so I updated the BIOS and the cold start issue has returned.

This is ruining what is a FANTASTIC board. I love it but for this one flaw so far. When I call support they have me do the basic support which is of no help. I want someone to be aware of this issue so it gets sorted out.

I am able to get my 10940X up to 51.Ghz on the board and have scored the 92nd place on 3DMark TimeSpy.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/44185564

https://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/timespy+3dmark+score+performance+preset/version+1.0

Please someone at Asus get in touch with me so we can go over this issue. I want this board to be a keeper and not return it.

Thank you!
11 REPLIES 11

Jahmen
Level 7
K01D57331 wrote:
I originally started off with the Prime 30th Anniversary board but it had an issue where during POST it would stop at CPU00 and Memory Detect. It would freeze there so I would hold down power button to restart system. On next boot it would POST to BIOS Safe Mode and I would have to get into BIOS and then exit out of BIOS to boot up. It would boot up fine from there until the next cold start up.

I called tech support and what a joke it was. I have been waiting for a real Asus tech to call me but no one ever did.

I returned that board and got the ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore.

It is behaving the same since I got the board and upgraded the BIOS. I have switched out every component and still the same.

I switched over to the BIOS slot 2 and I did not have the cold start up issue. I was having some stability problems under BIOS 2 so I updated the BIOS and the cold start issue has returned.

This is ruining what is a FANTASTIC board. I love it but for this one flaw so far. When I call support they have me do the basic support which is of no help. I want someone to be aware of this issue so it gets sorted out.

I am able to get my 10940X up to 51.Ghz on the board and have scored the 92nd place on 3DMark TimeSpy.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/44185564

https://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/timespy+3dmark+score+performance+preset/version+1.0

Please someone at Asus get in touch with me so we can go over this issue. I want this board to be a keeper and not return it.

Thank you!

Mine went something like this.
I can't call to to mind as to what or how my inability to boot to BIOS happened.
Best guess was after I installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS.
In the UEFI BIOS Utility: Advanced\ PHC Storage Configuration
SATA Controller(s) >Enabled<
SATA Mode Selection >AHCI< this needed to be reset per some message after I had updated the BIOS using the downloaded UEFI BIOS 0504 version R6EE.Cap file on a USB.

With ASUS Support agent's phone help we managed to restore the BIOS to boot.
However, by the time we had removed all of the hardware but a single RAM stick, we had already tried Clear CMOS a couple times along with so many switched switches pushed buttons, jumped the jumper, and Cleared the CMOS again so many different ways and times that I lost track of it all.
Yeah I know

I still had the R6EE.Cap file Version 0504 on the USB, So we stuck it in the designated Slot for Flashback , cleared CMOS and tried the Flashback button.
Like I said, we switched things back and forth and around so many times during the Flashback tries, I can't say with any certainty what it was we had done that fixed it.
Go do crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here!

Jahmen
Level 7
AND HERE WE Go AGAIN!

Using my USB 8GB stick with downloaded BIOS R6EE.cap file versions to restore the BIOS back.
Here is a help to share link. . .
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...pDesk_Download

It takes you to the ASUS Driver & Tools or BIOS & Firmware Download choices, specifically for the ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore x299 motherboard model.
You will need to Click on the: Please select OS and chose the WINDOWS 10 64bit.
BIOS VERSIONS: 2019/11/04 Ver, 0401 9.62 MB | 2019/12/13/ Ver, 0504 10.03 MB | 2020/1/22 Ver. 0505 10.03 MB

UEFI BIOS Fails to Boot past POST back into BIOS.
REASON: Uncertain
CIRCUMSTANCES: During the steps using the ASUS Motherboard RAID Configuration Guide 1.1.4. for a UEFI BIOS bootable VROC HD Key module RAID 10 on CPU setup.

The CPU RAID functions of RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10 requires the MoBo HD Key module and Intel VROC(RSTe) driver & software file to be enabled.

Step1: Enter the BIOS Setup during POST. Check !

Step2: Go to the Boot menu > CSM (Compatibility Support Module) > Launch CSM, then set the item to [Disabled]
Check !
The RAID Configuration Guide steps do not include anything about the NOTICE message that comes up when you change the CSM from enabled to disabled.
Notice
Due to Microsoft Secure Boot regulations, ensure the Microsoft signed UEFI driver is contained in the plugged PCI-E based storages including M.2 SSD before set the Launch CSM to [Disabled].
Otherwise, the PCI-E based storages will be only available for the data drive usage. Contact the PCI-E storage vendor for the UEFI driver availability details.

Because the Notice message says to ensure the Microsoft signed UEFI driver is contained in the plugged PCI-E based storages including M.2 SSD. (Hyper M.2 X16 Card SSDs)
Should we not then look where that is and see if the driver is installed there or not?

PROBLEM: I have no idea where to look to see if the driver is there or not. or how find the driver to install it.
SUPPORT QUESTION: How do we check to ensure the Microsoft signed UEFI driver is contained in the plugged PCI-E based storages including M.2 SSD?
Step3: Go to Advanced menu > CPU Storage Configuration, then set the PCIE slots that you have installed the Hyper M.2 X 16 Cards or PCIE X 4 SSD Cards to Hyper M.2 X16 or PCIE X 4 SSD Card correspondingly.
Check !
Step4: Save your changes and exit the BIOS Setup, then enter the BIOS Setup again.
Check !

PROBLEM: I cannot enter the BIOS setup again after I F10 exit to Save changes in the BIOS I made in the first 4 steps.
The MoBo hangs up in the reboot POST.
And I do not have any way to know if the paused reboot POST is related to the Notice message.

So, I removed all the hardware but for a single RAM stick again and successfully like before reloaded the BIOS.
But here was the catch. I couldn't get the updated 0504 version to load. So, I went back and got the original 0401 version the board came with.

Yep! It loaded successfully! I put back all the RAM and tried to boot, But the BIOS still hung in POST on a Memory.
Checked my memory sticks we seated in place right. Yep! Added the Graphics Card, still hung in POST on a Mem.
Put back the Motherboard SSD's with OS. Still booted into hung POST.
So, I decided to updated to the 0504 version, USB BIOS successfully. Still hanging in POST. Yep I'm stumped!

After a few switches and what not, I eventually got a new hung POST message to Check CPU after several failed tries to boot to BIOS.
Yep! the CPU Cooler head was HOTTER than usual.
So, with the Cooler CPU head Light going out weeks before and now a Check CPU and finding it hotter than ever before, I figured the CPU COOLER pump stopped working.

I have been using ASUS Support agent help for over 8 weeks now. The ASUS Support Services Senior Team has been working on my problems for weeks. ASUS is not without some very good agents that do actually know some things. I believe the ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega & Encore x299 Motherboards are to new to the market with little to none technical support created for them.

Intel makes it all extremely difficult, because everything online Intel has for supporting their Products with ASUS x299 MoBo, lacks any crossover compatibility information for the board or the drivers & software.

If Intel's NVMe UEFI BIOS bootable VROC key RAIDS on CPU work, then why can't any examples for it be found?
YouTube-nothing! Forums? Nothing!
Well unless we count the forum posts about those who couldn't get the VROC Key RAID to work, citing virtually no support help.

Sooner or later I will get the Intel's NVMe UEFI BIOS bootable VROC key RAIDS on CPU work, or I will eventually know that the tech was a fraud!
Never worked. Time will tell.
Go do crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here!

Call Intel directly and follow the voice prompts for VROC. I was surprised how helpful they are. Their tech support has all different equipment on hand. The tech I got worked with me with my VROC issue and actually put a similar system together like mine to replicate issue.

Are all your NVME drivers certified to work with VROC? VROC only works with a few NVME drives. Mostly Intel and Samsung OEM drives.

Jahmen wrote:
AND HERE WE Go AGAIN!

xeromist
K01D57331 wrote:

Just so you don't keep waiting, ASUS doesn't really read this forum. It's here for customer discussion and they provide support via phone and email, which I know you've tried.

Some cold boot issues are due to aggressive overclocks but it should not happen with stock settings. If you still have issues with stock settings you may consider an RMA of the board.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Just so you don't keep waiting, ASUS doesn't really read this forum. It's here for customer discussion and they provide support via phone and email, which I know you've tried.

Some cold boot issues are due to aggressive overclocks but it should not happen with stock settings. If you still have issues with stock settings you may consider an RMA of the board.

An RMA will not help since it is a BIOS issue so if they have some special BIOS that will fix it then they should release it. I would return the board anyways instead of RMA since I am still in my return period.

Asus tech support is a joke. I tried contacting them many times, they want to do the same troubleshooting over and over. When I ask to speak to a manager or someone directly at Asus I get told I will receive a call back but no one every calls back.

BigJohnny
Level 13
VROC is intel drives only. I installed it to two 900P AIC versions. The trick is to have the F6 drivers. You don’t make the array for boot from the BIOS. Two F6 drivers are required at the F6 prompt. Once they are installed and drives chosen windows will install and boot from it. VROC will not work on any drive but Intel. Unless you have a high$$ enterprise MOBO and pay $500 for a key. This is a deterrent to keep the enterprise users from buying up HEDT boards. You can put Other drives on the M2x16 board and make a software only raid that you cannot boot from. 900Ps 905P work. Can’t speak for any others as none of the others are worth the bother. You can put 4 of the M2 905P drives on the M2x16 card and boot from it. That’s why the only key that works is the Intel only key. I’ve power the model number a few times. You don’t need a key for raid0. Win raid has the drivers. *I just put them in a folder by themselves on the win install USB.*

MrTOOSHORT
Level 7
I have the same problem as the OP, but less frequently now because of a temporary fix. I have my VCCSA at the lowest setting, 0.7v. I used to have it at 0.9-1v, but found I'm still stable in my 4000MHz ram oc with 0.7v. IO is 1.125v. I'd have to say maybe out of 20 boot ups, it does it once now. This is on an Rampage Apex, two sets of 3600MHZ Cl15 2x8gb kits in quad. 9980xe cpu.
9980XE • APEX VI • 360016 • KPE 2080TI • 905P AIC • 1600T2 • 800D

MrTOOSHORT wrote:
I have the same problem as the OP, but less frequently now because of a temporary fix. I have my VCCSA at the lowest setting, 0.7v. I used to have it at 0.9-1v, but found I'm still stable in my 4000MHz ram oc with 0.7v. IO is 1.125v. I'd have to say maybe out of 20 boot ups, it does it once now. This is on an Rampage Apex, two sets of 3600MHZ Cl15 2x8gb kits in quad. 9980xe cpu.

Hi,
Which bios ?
I use primarily 1705 haven't had any issues on 9940x
I have 1902 on bios 2 it wasn't all that great so I just switched back to 1705 and leave it.
No 10980xe yet so no need for newer bios can't remember which bios is minimum for 10 series ?
I've got 2002 and 3006 if 10980xe ever show up locally bestbuy or micro center.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Which bios ?
I use primarily 1705 haven't had any issues on 9940x
I have 1902 on bios 2 it wasn't all that great so I just switched back to 1705 and leave it.
No 10980xe yet so no need for newer bios can't remember which bios is minimum for 10 series ?
I've got 2002 and 3006 if 10980xe ever show up locally bestbuy or micro center.

What board are you speaking of. There is no 1902 or 1705 on the R6EE, They just recently put up 1003 from 902.