cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero: Issues with RAM speeds and boot devices.

Surebrec
Level 7
I have recently upgraded my MB, CPU and RAM.

The parts I have upgraded are:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ATX Motherboard
CPU:AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor
RAM: Corsair CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 64 GB

I'm having a few issues though, namely not being able to get my RAM speed to the 3200 that it's certified for when enabling D.O.C.P (stuck at 2133), and also, not all my drives are listed in the boot order section (I have a 250GB SSD, a 1TB mechanical HDD, a DVD-RW and an old BLU-RAY drive. Only the SSD & DVD-RW are listed (USB is listed as well if I have a bootable USB device connected, though I can't seem to set it to boot from USB. If I have a USB with anything installed on it (including my windows 10 installation USB, when I set it to be the priority boot device, nothing happens, and it still launches into normal boot up from my SSD with the operating system installed.

This is frustrating because I'm trying to run memtest and prime95 from boot to test everything.

Also worth noting, I have already updated bios and tried clearing CMOS, but it didn't help.

Any advice would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

XIIIIX
Level 7
Surebrec wrote:
I have recently upgraded my MB, CPU and RAM.

The parts I have upgraded are:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ATX Motherboard
CPU:AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor
RAM: Corsair CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 64 GB

I'm having a few issues though, namely not being able to get my RAM speed to the 3200 that it's certified for when enabling D.O.C.P (stuck at 2133), and also, not all my drives are listed in the boot order section (I have a 250GB SSD, a 1TB mechanical HDD, a DVD-RW and an old BLU-RAY drive. Only the SSD & DVD-RW are listed (USB is listed as well if I have a bootable USB device connected, though I can't seem to set it to boot from USB. If I have a USB with anything installed on it (including my windows 10 installation USB, when I set it to be the priority boot device, nothing happens, and it still launches into normal boot up from my SSD with the operating system installed.

This is frustrating because I'm trying to run memtest and prime95 from boot to test everything.

Also worth noting, I have already updated bios and tried clearing CMOS, but it didn't help.

64gB @3200 is a ***** when it`s 4 sticks, dual sided.
My best was 3000 @ 14-14-1414-32 1T 1,425V (Sammy B-die)
2933 work fine though @ 1,35V
Higher clocks only with 2 sticks for me.

For the devices, can`t offer you any info there, only M2`s and Sata`s.
XII

XIIIIX wrote:
64gB @3200 is a ***** when it`s 4 sticks, dual sided.
My best was 3000 @ 14-14-1414-32 1T 1,425V (Sammy B-die)
2933 work fine though @ 1,35V
Higher clocks only with 2 sticks for me.

For the devices, can`t offer you any info there, only M2`s and Sata`s.

sorry, didn't see your reply. thanks for the feedback.

RedSector73
Level 12
Surebrec wrote:

Here is the procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

HWinfo can check to see if done correctly, on the bottom right of the system summary, Operating System UEFI Boot (in green) & Secure Boot (in green)

In regard to ram issue, unless the RAM is on the QVL it may not run @ 3200 if x4 - typically you can use anything RAM x2 config but RAM x4 you want to be on the QVL with the speed or going to have trouble hitting it.

Hope you find this of help.

RedSector73 wrote:
Here is the procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

HWinfo can check to see if done correctly, on the bottom right of the system summary, Operating System UEFI Boot (in green) & Secure Boot (in green)

In regard to ram issue, unless the RAM is on the QVL it may not run @ 3200 if x4 - typically you can use anything RAM x2 config but RAM x4 you want to be on the QVL with the speed or going to have trouble hitting it.

Hope you find this of help.

sorry for the late reply, and thanks for responding.

I did do a full install as you suggested, and all the things you mentioned. here's a screenshot of HWI:

https://imgur.com/g1TNU44

I did check whether or not the RAM was on the QVL list before I purchased it, and it was listed, so.

the only thing I didn't do was the install secure boot key step, as I'm not sure how to do that.