cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG43UQ Driver Release?

MNiceGuy
Level 7
Just picked up a PG43UQ and am getting some wicked backlight flicker in some games. Nvidia claims that the driver required for G-Sync Compatibilty is "Coming Soon". I checked the release notes of 442.19 and while some monitors were added, the big Asus was not on the list. This lends to the idea that the "Coming Soon" part is current as of today.

1. Does anyone else have this monitor yet and are you experiencing any flickering when G-Sync is active?

2. Does anyone know if the PG43UQ will be addressed in the next driver release?
32 REPLIES 32

ncook06
Level 7
Configuration: 2080Ti, 144Hz, 10 bpc, G-Sync enabled for windowed and full screen modes.

On 442.19: Haven’t noticed backlight flickering on my PG43UQ, per se. But if I’m in a game and alt-tab out, the display starts cutting out for a few seconds every thirty-ish seconds. It is possible that it’s just the backlight, as I haven’t looked closely enough to see if the image is still on the LCD. FWIW, I tried an XG438Q for a few weeks before this and did not experience any problems (besides mediocre contrast).

I tried using 60Hz and 8 bpc (thinking it was maybe DSC, since the XG438Q was fine) and using another 8K DisplayPort cable (thinking I had just gotten a bad cable), but the issue remained. I was able to circumvent the issue by using an HDMI cable, which effectively disables any reason to own the PG43UQ. Typing this reply made me realize that the issue is probably G-Sync. I never tried 144Hz, 10 bpc, and no G-Sync, because the tearing would be insane, but I am curious if that would have resolved it.

Either way, this morning I installed 442.50, which adds G-Sync compatibility for the PG43UQ (confirmed this in settings). I’ll follow up if I see the issue return on 442.50.

ncook06 wrote:
*this morning I installed 442.50, which adds G-Sync compatibility for the PG43UQ (confirmed this in settings). I’ll follow up if I see the issue return on 442.50.

This is indeed still an issue on Nvidia driver 442.50

Still on 442.50, but it actually appears that this is related to playing in HDR. I am curious if the PG43UQ needs a firmware update, or if the issue is the Nvidia 442.50 driver misbehaving with HDR and DSC.

Watching a video and paused for a moment. Flashing black and flicks breifly to the image then black again for awhile. Pattern repeats until I turn on my second screen and turn Play games and apps in HDR of in Windows display settings. This was constant. First time it happened it did it 3-4times and when I turned HDR Off then on again it was fine.

Did have to return my GPU the day after as I'd be getting crashes related to it. Myy old GT710 couldn't handle the 4k or HDR so wasn't an issue till I got a replacement GPU today. Even updated to the latest drivers. It's worse now. Least before I could get HDR to work again. Right now with HDR on I can't watch anything. Strange as it's been fine for over an hour just on desktop/web browser.

Kept box as GPU was beck for testing so couldn't really test the display. I'd be tempted to return it but I'm not sure how that'd go ass we're on lock down and I don't know if the store is even open.............:(

Just stopped it flashing at me. Temporary till next time.

1. Make sure video isn't fullscreen...Possible same for game.
2. Turned Play HDR in games and apps off in Windows Display settings
3. Lowered Refresh rate to 50hz
4. Re-enabled Play HDR in games and apps off in Windows Display settings
5. If flashing starts immediately turn ir off again and fullscreen then unfullscrreen video/game....Only had to do it once for me.
6. Once Play HDR doesn't cause the flashing turn refresh back up to 144hz
7 Hopefully that solves it.....least till tomorrow or a Firmware/Nvidia update

Update*** Ok that didn't work. Happened again last night on step 4. Only thing that worked after turning HDR off was to unfullscreen video and turn HDR nits down to 600 then I could fullscreen video again without issues. Will see how it behaves being on 600 nits

Some steps may not have been needed thats just what I did. Thankfully it worked or I would have installed older Nvidia driver.

raju2529
Level 7
nvidia released geforce dch standard based whql driver 445.75 on 24th march 2020
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
nvidia released geforce dch standard based whql driver 445.75 on 24th march 2020

That's the one I'm using and the issue still persists

For laptops display monitor uses processor graphics driver. I am suspected driver caused flickering

. Intel already 7870 dch based driver.
But iam using advanced 7988 driver . No flickering.
R542uq_dm153 laptop
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
For laptops display monitor uses processor graphics driver. I am suspected driver caused flickering

. Intel already 7870 dch based driver.
But iam using advanced 7988 driver . No flickering.
R542uq_dm153 laptop

Do you have an ROG PG43UQ monitor? I'm struggling to understand what your setup has to do with this thread.