cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Extreme, Post Error stuck at A2 Error Code.

Rob_Ainscough
Level 7
I purchased a new Maximus XI Extreme via NewEgg sold by BTE Outlet (https://www.newegg.com/BTE-Outlet/about) which has a "So, So" reputation (wish I had researched them earlier). The MB was purchased for a client build that was going to happen about 30 days later, so I just now got around to the build and I'm just outside of my "refund" period so have to file a claim with NewEgg and "hope" for resolution.

When I open the box for this new MB, I was somewhat surprised to see it NOT wrapped in an anti-static bag. I think all my prior ASUS motherboards came in anti-static bags.

QLED lights that remain ON are White (VGA) and Green (Boot). The boot sequence displays on the MB QCODE display, CPU - all ok, Memory - all ok, HDD - stops at A2 and I get NO video output at all so no BIOS/EFI screen.

Here is what I have tried to resolve the issue:

1. Removed all HDD and M.2.
2. Tried just one M.2.
3. Tried just one HDD.
4. Tried different GPU (verified GPUs work in another PC)
5. Tried different RAM, changed RAM sockets, just one stick, etc.
6. Tried using the extended DIMM.2 slot for mounting my M.2s
7. Removed all other PCIe cards
8. Removed all USB devices plugged-in

I've never before had a failure booting with any ASUS motherboards (that's well over 40 Asus motherboards over the years of me building customer PCs). So I'm stumped that Asus would have a bad new MB?

I can't even get to a BIOS screen, and A2 code = IDE DETECT.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Rob.
17 REPLIES 17

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Hey Rob,

thanks for the mindful way on how you have presented your issue to us. Easy reading.

You have tested almost any combination i can think of.

Have you fiddled with:

- another power source
- the second bios
- removing the battery for a while (have read that one somewhere, but i was not convinced due to CMOS button)

Good Luck !
Rgds Carlyle

ps my maximus x hero (first batch) and my maximus xi apex both didn't arrive in an antistatic bag.

edrickjk
Level 7
did you try switching your bios?

hdtvnut
Level 7
A2 seems to indicate the board is alright, but doesn't see a bootable device. This seems to indicate a BIOS settings problem rather than a board problem, but have you checked that all jumpers and switches are in the default position? There's a bunch.

Have you tried both a 2K and 4k monitor? When I couldn't get a BIOS screen, I switched to a 2K monitor and it was there. Also, have you tried a
GPU in slots other than #1 in case the slot is disabled?

If you get a BIOS screen at some point, but no OS boot, I had this problem with an Extreme I bought from the UK. I had to update the BIOS, go to the boot menu and enable CSM.

hdtvnut
Level 7
Just did a Clear CMOS on my Apex XI and it did the same thing - BIOS did not appear on my 4K monitor, and the white LED stayed on. Had to hook up a 2K, reboot, and after BIOS appeared, was able to switch to the 4K, where it reappeared after maybe 5-10 seconds.

About to give up on this, I just got another brand new XI Extreme, tried yet another CPU and still getting the same error A2.

Why am I not able to get any video output? I even tried the onboard HDMI out and nothing.

I've disconnected all M.2, SSD, HDD still same error. Added them back one at a time still same error.

I've never experienced anything like this in ALL the PC builds I done over the decades.

The only thing I haven't tried is loading the BIOS from a USB stick but don't I need video output for that to be viable? I get nothing, not even onboard.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob_Ainscough
Level 7
Thanks for the responses. FYI, I do NOT get any video output so the no access to the BIOS.

I tried a different PSU, same issue.

Tried 2nd BIOS switch, same issue.

Tried removing the battery, same issue.

I'm going to try yet another CPU (3rd one) and see if I can get to a BIOS screen.

I tried all combinations of M2, SSD, HDD and same issue.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob_Ainscough
Level 7
Tried the BIOS flash using the BIOS flashback port ... M11E.CAP and proceeded and updated to 1401 and everything worked as outlined in the manual, but still will not get past Post Error A2?

I'm about to return both of these "new" motherboards as defective. I've also submitted a ticket with Asus, but doubt they'll contact me, they never have in the past.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Ainscough wrote:
Tried the BIOS flash using the BIOS flashback port ... M11E.CAP and proceeded and updated to 1401 and everything worked as outlined in the manual, but still will not get past Post Error A2?

I'm about to return both of these "new" motherboards as defective. I've also submitted a ticket with Asus, but doubt they'll contact me, they never have in the past.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, my Apex XI and the Extreme XI I had (with 1401 and a 2080ti) are strange about presenting the BIOS; often on my 4K monitor there appears to be no video. I frequently have to go to a 2K monitor, which always works. You didn't say what kind of monitor you're using, but I think this is your problem. Before you declare those boards bad, at least try a 1920x1080 monitor. I also thought for awhile the boards were bad.

hdtvnut wrote:
Rob, my Apex XI and the Extreme XI I had (with 1401 and a 2080ti) are strange about presenting the BIOS; often on my 4K monitor there appears to be no video. I frequently have to go to a 2K monitor, which always works. You didn't say what kind of monitor you're using, but I think this is your problem. Before you declare those boards bad, at least try a 1920x1080 monitor. I also thought for awhile the boards were bad.

I found the problem and you were very close. The monitor I was using (not mine, it's a clients monitor) was an older LG 1920 x 1080 (not a primary display and ultimately was going to be a 4th display - 3 projector surround setup with 4th display just for boot) ... it was going thru DVI port on the monitor, then converted to HDMI adapter ... I was told the monitor was good so didn't question it. Well the monitor was NOT good ... I plugged my laptop HDMI into the monitor in question and got nothing, no signal.

Soooo ... I used the HDMI port on the monitor to HDMI on the GPU (Titan RTX) and viola, the BIOS is displayed along with the expected F1 setup and Fan error, yada, yada. So the CPU's were fine, the GPUs were fine, both MBs were fine, everything was fine just a faulty monitor or "janky" monitor connection via HDMI to DVI.

So problem solved, I swear I was questioning my sanity ... note to self, always test everything connected.

Cheers, Rob.