cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth Z77 System Rejuvenation, RAM Dilemma & OC - HELP!

Vaietzi
Level 7
Hi All,
I've built the PC below a while ago now. It's a 7 year old system which I intend to try and keep alive even after such long time. The reason is that I'm on a budget and cannot afford a completely new build. Although I know these components are very much capable of overclocking, I've never attempted it a single time ever since it was first turned on back in 2012.

Here's what I have:
- PSU: Corsair VX550
- MTB: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
- CPU: Intel i5-3570K (@stock clock values)
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8) 2x4GB DDR3 @1600MHz (timing: 8-8-8-24)
- GPU: Gainward GTX 670 Phantom 2GB
- storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD & Maxtor 320GB SATA II HDD

Aim:
My main project for this elderly lady would be a new graphics card for which I know she'll need the following:
- at least a decent CPU-overclocking w/ a new cooler
- switching out / increasing the amount of RAM I currently have
- new PSU (possibly)

I'm aware of the ongoing debates over this, but in case the following GPU's truly won't be bottlenecked by the 3570K (even when overclocked), I'm looking into getting a version of an RTX 2060 (maybe a 2070), in a worse case a GTX 1660 Ti or equivalent to make her last a bit longer. Not really interested in ray tracing, but I'm open-minded to what the future holds.

I play @1080p. The games I'm shooting for are Post Scriptum (hopefully they'll optimize it finally), maybe Hell Let Loose & CoD: Modern Warfare, etc.

Dilemmas:
- keep current 1600MHz CL8 RAM modules & look for additional used ones to reach 16GB? (??and maybe overclock them??)
- buy new modules @higher speed? (mtb handles up to 2400Mhz according to ASUS's supported RAM lists, up to 3200MHz according to pcpartpicker.com)

I desperately need help and guidance on this journey as I'm thoroughly inexperienced especially w/ overclocking. I know this post is long, but I wanted to provide as much technical info as I could.

Thanks for reading all of the above. Your help & advice is much appreciated!
0 REPLIES 0