cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

erratic fan behavior

andlaw
Level 10
Hello, was hoping someone could better explain what was needed to be changed in BIOS, or elsewhere, to prevent this from happening. This is the first time I have used a fan hub in a build, the included fan extension that came with my ROG Encore motherboard. On desktop I use AI Suite 3 fan expert to control the fans (PWM @ 1400 RPM) and have no issues, but after a reboot. .. my fans begin to spin erratically. I have never used BIOS fan Q control or whatever it is, so my question is What is needed to be changed.... thanks in advance!

here is a quick video showing exactly what is happening~
https://youtu.be/rEXYkCYFgXU
4 REPLIES 4

idahosurge
Level 7
The first thing I would do is uninstall AIS3. Go to the top of the software forum and get the tool and use that to remove AIS3.

Look in your manual for the section in BIOS for fan control and setup up your fans. The settings are pretty straightforward.

idahosurge wrote:
The first thing I would do is uninstall AIS3. Go to the top of the software forum and get the tool and use that to remove AIS3.

Look in your manual for the section in BIOS for fan control and setup up your fans. The settings are pretty straightforward.

thanks for the suggestion, but I shouldn't have to uninstall Asus AI suite. I've used this program on my last 3 builds and have never had an issue running the program all while using Fan Xpert to tune the fans. I choose to run this software for the ability to manually set the fans at 1400 and setup profiles for higher RPM when I actually need it, and removing the software and setting them in BIOS, I will lose this ability (yes I know I can setup the fans to speed up more as temps rise but that isn't what I am looking for). I figured it had to do something along the lines of BIOS having a temp threshold in place and after a reboot the temp is higher and its causing the fans to act erratic. I guess I will just create a profile in BIOS and start some trial and error with tuning the fans in there and hoping to still have control once windows loads.

This has only been an issue during a reboot, once windows loads and AIS3 is loaded the fans begin to operate normally. This is the first time I have ever used a fan hub though, I have always used fan extension and splitters and plugged directly into the headers of the motherboard.. which I am almost thinking of doing again if there isn't a better solution~

andlaw wrote:
thanks for the suggestion, but I shouldn't have to uninstall Asus AI suite. I've used this program on my last 3 builds and have never had an issue running the program all while using Fan Xpert to tune the fans...

I tend to agree with you on all that. Can you say what hub you are using and how you are hooking it up? Your symptoms sound like a shortage of electrical power on startup, that's why I'm wondering about the hookup.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
I tend to agree with you on all that. Can you say what hub you are using and how you are hooking it up? Your symptoms sound like a shortage of electrical power on startup, that's why I'm wondering about the hookup.

as stated in the OP, I am using the included fan hub that came with the ROG Encore motherboard. .. using the plug that it came with it and it's connected to the motherboard via node. again, this isnt an issue when its running, only during a reboot~