Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NvME as Boot device

keithdib
Level 7
Hi

I have asus rog strix b450-f board.

I have added 2 x NvME Drives.

neither of these seem to be able to be set as the BOOT Device, i have also tried the 2 NvME as a RAID again cannot boot from this.

is this normal?

if so what is the point of adding NvME on a motherboard if its not possible to boot from them?

thanks
7 REPLIES 7

UltraNEO_
Level 11
keithdib wrote:
Hi

neither of these seem to be able to be set as the BOOT Device, i have also tried the 2 NvME as a RAID again cannot boot from this.

is this normal?

if so what is the point of adding NvME on a motherboard if its not possible to boot from them?

thanks

I don't have this board but googling the details... Looks like this guy was experiencing similar issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/bbvacf/about_to_throw_my_b450f_in_the_trash/

I would have "NVMe Support" enabled in BIOS, even if your not using it as RAID.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

so now I try to RAID SATA Drives..

Only to find out if I use RAID on SATA ALL SATA posts become RADI, no long have an option to use an optical drive

also the BIOS menu's are like a maze, you need 2 separate documents to configure a simple RAID,

Republic of Gamers, should be republic of ****ing idiots..

I WILL NEVER buy any ASUS product again, especially an ROG item

I am off to buy a MOBO that actually works

keithdib wrote:
so now I try to RAID SATA Drives..

Only to find out if I use RAID on SATA ALL SATA posts become RADI, no long have an option to use an optical drive

also the BIOS menu's are like a maze, you need 2 separate documents to configure a simple RAID,

Republic of Gamers, should be republic of ****ing idiots..

I WILL NEVER buy any ASUS product again, especially an ROG item

I am off to buy a MOBO that actually works

Tell us how you really feel?

Im sure there is a BIOS setting you are missing. I dont have this board so cant offer up any advice. I do however own a few other ROG boards that will boot from NVME no problems.

raju2529
Level 7
boot device must contain windows boot manager file in the nvme disk otherwise it wont boot.

dont set as raid . functions of configuring RAID is different .

reser the bios setttings to default , then try to set nvme disk
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

G75rog
Level 10
The Storage section Specifications in the User Manual describes NVME setup depending on CPU and GPU installed.
Page 3-16 lists M.2 setup.

YaFan
Level 7
keithdib wrote:
Hi

is this normal?

thanks

I switched motherboards from an Asrock b450 gaming K4 to an Asus ROG b550-f (non-wifi) and the M.2 was my OS drive. I encountered the same issue, on this motherboard it would not boot.
Now to note: the Bios WAS LISTING my NVME and SSD, but when I selected boot options it just said "no bootable drive found". So if the system doesn't even see the drives period, then double-check wires connected.

I first tried to disable fast boot. That didn't work, but I kept it as disabled (i'm following my exact steps).
Then I went to CSM (Compatibility Support Module) in the Boot tab.
I selected Launch CSM Enabled
I selected UEFI and Legacy OPROM
left everything else alone

Upon saving and restart windows loading showed up. It loaded, then restarted, then loaded again - finally into the login screen. (it must have updated, so don't shut your computer off at first, let it run through its process)

So now when I go into Bios, it finally sees my drives AS bootable drives.

Not sure if this might help anyone, but it seems to have fixed itself by starting it once in CSM mode.

you can download technical article from AMD and read it

https://www.amd.com/en/support/tech-docs?keyword=NVMe+raid
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754