cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove full size GPU from ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10?

Level 7
i am currently livid. how am i supposed to press down on pcie release tab to lift and remove card? i can't get to it at all. (look at linked picture to see what i am forced to work with) i tried pushing gently on the little exposed bit with a screwdriver end (on the plastic tab) but it didn't budge and i will not use force. wow, what a great board design for a super expensive board. either i'm stupid or this board design is. but i wonder how others take out gpus? holding the gpu and just "lifting", obviously doesn't budge it. you're supposed to just push down on pcie release tab and that should lift the corner up so you can then lift "wiggle" it out.

this is pure insanity.. i never had such issues before.

https://i.imgur.com/tBZiHSs.png

here, look everyone.. look at the proper space a good mb has.. (also an asus rog one, so not even using other brand)

go to 1:27 for relevant part;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqnYWsHNGaI

again, what a joke this most expensive rampage is... how to press down on pcie release tab?
16 REPLIES 16

BigJohnny
Level 13
Well the lock in tabs brought this about. PITA to get to. I generally reach back there with a long skinny flat blade screw driver. ITs the locking "safe slot" along with the cover that makes it a beotch.

davemon50
Level 11
It is a pain. But it is not impossible. If you have one of those plastic flat-tip tools that come in computer toolkits that works okay. Also, you are going to have to use force, usually no other way to get it out of there.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
It is a pain. But it is not impossible. If you have one of those plastic flat-tip tools that come in computer toolkits that works okay. Also, you are going to have to use force, usually no other way to get it out of there.

unbelievable!! so this is how they designed it? how is that possible? how is it all the raving lunatics who gave this board 10/10 and every award under the sun over the years, didn't bring this serious issue up? not a big deal? (all corrupt, that's why). i mean you have an 87% chance of seriously damaging your motherboard, a $500 one, just taking out a gpu. it should be a simple click and pull up, but here this is insanity. are there any videos of someone doing this and not having an issue? i'd like to watch someone do this. after trying with what i consider reasonable force, it now seems the "answer" is to use brute force..

davemon50
Level 11
I do like the board, and I agree with you too, having had to remove the cards on several occasions (I have two). There were a couple times I thought I had broken the slot, but the board has been pretty resilient. I actually found it harder to snap it in and get a firm seating than to remove it. Try one fo those plastic tools I mentioned. If you get contact with the edge of the tool you can use enough direct force to get it to snap out.
Davemon50

i decided to do it and got it out without any damage.. i tapped on the plastic tab with a flat head screwdriver instead of a constant push and that did it. having done it, i now understand better how it works in this mb, and will be able to repeat the procedure. all in all, this design is pure insanity for asus. you'd expect this from maybe some no name brand, not the world's "#1".

ps: that this site keeps wanting a recaptcha verification also makes me sick. i could understand it for "anon" posting if it allowed that, not for members. anyway, i'm now content and am bouncing....

48547595 wrote:
ps: that this site keeps wanting a recaptcha verification also makes me sick. i could understand it for "anon" posting if it allowed that, not for members. anyway, i'm now content and am bouncing....

Shouldn't be necessary after you pass the new user hurdle. In the past this board has had massive problems with spam. We still do have some but we try to delete quickly.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

actually, one more question. this mb requires two cpu plugs? i assumed it would need only the 8 pin one. the cpu is a i7 6850K. does it need both the 8pin and 4pin ones? (as bonus, if both, can you link to some official place from asus or intel that shows that? i want to save it for future.)

about captcha. are you guy making money using it? like, me solving it, is it giving you a few cents? if not money, am i helping make the world better by teaching ai?

48547595 wrote:
actually, one more question. this mb requires two cpu plugs? i assumed it would need only the 8 pin one. the cpu is a i7 6850K. does it need both the 8pin and 4pin ones? (as bonus, if both, can you link to some official place from asus or intel that shows that? i want to save it for future.)

about captcha. are you guy making money using it? like, me solving it, is it giving you a few cents? if not money, am i helping make the world better by teaching ai?

I have both plugged in and I'm running the same CPU and I haven't had any issues. Based on the manual it shows a / between the 4 pin and 8 pin, so based on context it could mean "and or"

48547595 wrote:

I don't work for ASUS so I wouldn't be making any money. Google offers captcha for free but yes I understand they use the information for machine learning projects.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…