Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Ram issues I believe?

Hi guys,

I hope all is well with everyone.

I have a few issues to raise if someone can help me out, really confused to be honest.

I have a Strix X370-F Gaming motherboard and Ryzen 5 1600, 16gb Vengence LED 3000MHZ...

I have had this computer for about 2 years now and all has been working fine to be fair although only recently I have discovered that my ram was running at 2133mhz. Checked this with CPU-Z, says its running at 1064.1mhz, I know the Double rata rate so should be at basically 1500mhz and it isnt.

I recently updated my Bios through the motherboard to latest one which is 5220 and it worked fine, updated fine, pc feeling fine... until I change these values of the ram in bios via the DOCP as this is basically XMP I imagine for Asus boards. it automatically set the correct settings of 15-17-17-35 and it seemed fine again, rebooted, in windows 10, all perfect. Until I shutdown and started up again the next day. System hanged, Red light on mobo which is CPU but frankly I knew it was the settings of the ram so restarted a few times and it came back on, displayed I had bad settings apparently so changed a few things again with ram, slightly lower and still same thing. Cut a long story short, its always the same, hangs each time on second reboot unless I set it all back to default which means I lose the speed its supposed to be at which is frustrating, saying that I didn't even know before but now I do it seems like I am only getting half arsed ram.

My question is for all the genius's here, I am not one of them sadly, could anyone shed some light as to why this keeps happening? Is it a compatibility issue with Ryzen? Would really appreciate some knowledge bombs on this one as I am stumped.

Will provide pictures or anything that is needed.

Thanks guys.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Is the system shutting down or is it waking from sleep?...i.e. is fast startup enabled in windows?

Check what BIOS/DOCP is setting for soc voltage...maybe set that to 1.1v or 1.2v

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Is the system shutting down or is it waking from sleep?...i.e. is fast startup enabled in windows?

Check what BIOS/DOCP is setting for soc voltage...maybe set that to 1.1v or 1.2v
    Man, I am even getting it now when I shut down on default optimised settings, im guessing its the new bios update, maybe drop it down a few levels? Thoughts?

Literally from shutting down, powering back up doesnt work, have to turn it off again and back on until it comes alive. Never happened before, must be because of the new bios surely?

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Maybe download a fresh BIOS file and reflash the bios...

But clear CMOS before and after the flash

If the problem persists use a single stick of memory in the recommended slot and swap sticks...just to make sure the DIMMs are working OK.

Or try setting SOC voltage and see if ti clears up....make sure dram voltage is 1.35 too

Some Hynix memory on first gen Ryzen CPUs was/is an absolute recipe for headaches of this type
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 03-11-2020 at 08:21 PM.

ROG Member Array

If the problem persistes use a single stick of memory in the recommended slot and swap sticks...just to make sure the DIMMs are working OK.

Or try setting SOC voltage and see if ti clears up....make sure dram voltage is 1.35 too

Some Hynix memory on first gen Ryzen CPUs was/is an absolute recipe for headaches of this type
    Ok cool i'll have a look, just all so weird its happening after the bios upgrade! Grrrr lol thanks for the help i'll report back soon.

ROG Member Array

Angry

If the problem persists use a single stick of memory in the recommended slot and swap sticks...just to make sure the DIMMs are working OK.

Ok, so checked the DOCP settings, voltage set to 1.35, still same thing, boots sometimes and hangs others, im confident its this bios update but I cant remember fore the life of me which it was before, I know it was some 2017 one but cannot remember, this is so frustrating. Also you said clear the bios first before flashing, how does one do this? Only option is to flash it not clear in the bios? Unless there is a windows one? I am not sure here, if you need pictures mate do let me know i'll do my best, this is beyond frustrating.

Also to note, when actually in windows, nothing wrong at all, perfect etc running smooth all apart from ram reading in system properties as 15.9gb with this bios setting when is actually 16gb and I have not touched CPU, Windows properties report it as default 3200mhz but in CPU-Z it reports as 3391.9mhz Its all very confusing! :<

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

OK I understand your BIOS concerns but if I understand rightly from your first post your RAM was never running at rated speeds just at defaults?

What is BIOS setting for SOC voltage?..that is an important voltage...

You could try running 1.4 for dram voltage...perfectly safe...

Clear cmos maybe a button or a jumper on the board...you'd have to dig out the manual

Maybe post up the memory and spd tabs of CPUz

Edit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	84255
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 03-12-2020 at 09:27 PM. Reason: pic

ROG Member Array

OK I understand your BIOS concerns but if I understand rightly from your first post your RAM was never running at rated speeds just at defaults?

What is BIOS setting for SOC voltage?..that is an important voltage...

You could try running 1.4 for dram voltage...perfectly safe...

Clear cmos maybe a button or a jumper on the board...you'd have to dig out the manual

Maybe post up the memory and spd tabs of CPUz

Edit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	84255
    You are correct mate, the ram was never running at proper speed from the beginning although at least it booted first time every time, then I did this bios update and its gone to pot! I will do as you suggested and will take pictures and post all here to see if you can spot anything out of the ordinary.

Many thanks for your help with this.

I will tell you that this build was built by Asus ROG as I was the first winner of the youtube show rog your rig uk. Its been fantastic and I am forever grateful for what they gave me but realistically it has never been right since I got it home, small issues here and there but hopefully you can help me solve this mystery!

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array davemon50 PC Specs
    davemon50 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY-DH72 (17") and Asus G752VT-DH74 (17")
    MotherboardAsus ROG LGA2011-v3 Rampage V Edition 10, x99 EATX
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6950X Extreme 10-core 25MB Cache 3.0 GHz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX Red DDR4 DRAM 64GB-4x16 3333 (CMK64GX4M4B3333C16R)
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury 4GB HBM Backplate
    Graphics Card #2Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury 4GB HBM Backplate
    Sound CardAsus SupremeFX Hi-Fi Audio DAC
    Monitor(2) Dell UltraSharp U2515H 25-inch monitors
    Storage #1(4) SSD's - Samsung 960 & 970 1TB M.2, Intel 535 480G, Intel 510 250G
    Storage #2(3) HDD's - Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5-in SATA III 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H80
    CaseCorsair Obsidian Series 650D Black, ATX, Mid Tower
    Power SupplyCorsair Digital AXi-Series AX1200i (1200W) 80+ Platinum Rating
    Keyboard Logitech Wireless K360
    Mouse Logitech Wireless MX Anywhere 2
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Quote Originally Posted by bliv25 View Post
    ...as I was the first winner of the youtube show rog your rig uk. Its been fantastic and I am forever grateful for what they gave me...

I have nothing that will help you with your RAM issue, but just wanted to say congratulations on your win, that's awesome.
    Davemon50

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by davemon50 View Post
    I have nothing that will help you with your RAM issue, but just wanted to say congratulations on your win, that's awesome.
    Hi mate,

Thanks so much, I am still in awe with it as I have never won anything previously, and that was 2 years ago now! From the show I looked so moody to be honest lol I was definitely not, just totally overwhelmed with the whole experience. Appreciate the message mate still

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast