Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram issues I believe?

bliv25
Level 7
Hi guys,

I hope all is well with everyone.

I have a few issues to raise if someone can help me out, really confused to be honest.

I have a Strix X370-F Gaming motherboard and Ryzen 5 1600, 16gb Vengence LED 3000MHZ...

I have had this computer for about 2 years now and all has been working fine to be fair although only recently I have discovered that my ram was running at 2133mhz. Checked this with CPU-Z, says its running at 1064.1mhz, I know the Double rata rate so should be at basically 1500mhz and it isnt.

I recently updated my Bios through the motherboard to latest one which is 5220 and it worked fine, updated fine, pc feeling fine... until I change these values of the ram in bios via the DOCP as this is basically XMP I imagine for Asus boards. it automatically set the correct settings of 15-17-17-35 and it seemed fine again, rebooted, in windows 10, all perfect. Until I shutdown and started up again the next day. System hanged, Red light on mobo which is CPU but frankly I knew it was the settings of the ram so restarted a few times and it came back on, displayed I had bad settings apparently so changed a few things again with ram, slightly lower and still same thing. Cut a long story short, its always the same, hangs each time on second reboot unless I set it all back to default which means I lose the speed its supposed to be at which is frustrating, saying that I didn't even know before but now I do it seems like I am only getting half arsed ram.

My question is for all the genius's here, I am not one of them sadly, could anyone shed some light as to why this keeps happening? Is it a compatibility issue with Ryzen? Would really appreciate some knowledge bombs on this one as I am stumped.

Will provide pictures or anything that is needed.

Thanks guys.
22 REPLIES 22

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Is the system shutting down or is it waking from sleep?...i.e. is fast startup enabled in windows?

Check what BIOS/DOCP is setting for soc voltage...maybe set that to 1.1v or 1.2v

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Is the system shutting down or is it waking from sleep?...i.e. is fast startup enabled in windows?

Check what BIOS/DOCP is setting for soc voltage...maybe set that to 1.1v or 1.2v

Man, I am even getting it now when I shut down on default optimised settings, im guessing its the new bios update, maybe drop it down a few levels? Thoughts?

Literally from shutting down, powering back up doesnt work, have to turn it off again and back on until it comes alive. Never happened before, must be because of the new bios surely?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

I was going to state that it could been possible that he needed to make sure to enable XMP and set the appropriate settings in his Bios. This is what I had discovered when I had that same issue.

tech1187 wrote:
I was going to state that it could been possible that he needed to make sure to enable XMP and set the appropriate settings in his Bios. This is what I had discovered when I had that same issue.

Hi mate,

These Asus strix boards do not use XMP its basically the same thing but called DOCP and I enabled all the correct settings there, only thing I did not do with the SOC voltage setting that I was now told to change, I have and it seems to be stable... We shall see during the week and see what happens! Thanks though

bliv25 wrote:
Hi mate,

These Asus strix boards do not use XMP its basically the same thing but called DOCP and I enabled all the correct settings there, only thing I did not do with the SOC voltage setting that I was now told to change, I have and it seems to be stable... We shall see during the week and see what happens! Thanks though

Good you are aware of what is going on. DOCP (Direct Over Clock Profile) used for AMD boards where XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) is used for Intel (such as mine which is an Asus strix) but is used for the same concept.

tech1187 wrote:
Good you are aware of what is going on. DOCP (Direct Over Clock Profile) used for AMD boards where XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) is used for Intel (such as mine which is an Asus strix) but is used for the same concept.

To some extent I am, lol not like you guys though, still its good to keep learning. Thanks mate

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Maybe download a fresh BIOS file and reflash the bios...

But clear CMOS before and after the flash

If the problem persists use a single stick of memory in the recommended slot and swap sticks...just to make sure the DIMMs are working OK.

Or try setting SOC voltage and see if ti clears up....make sure dram voltage is 1.35 too

Some Hynix memory on first gen Ryzen CPUs was/is an absolute recipe for headaches of this type

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

If the problem persistes use a single stick of memory in the recommended slot and swap sticks...just to make sure the DIMMs are working OK.

Or try setting SOC voltage and see if ti clears up....make sure dram voltage is 1.35 too

Some Hynix memory on first gen Ryzen CPUs was/is an absolute recipe for headaches of this type

Ok cool i'll have a look, just all so weird its happening after the bios upgrade! Grrrr lol thanks for the help i'll report back soon.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

If the problem persists use a single stick of memory in the recommended slot and swap sticks...just to make sure the DIMMs are working OK.

Ok, so checked the DOCP settings, voltage set to 1.35, still same thing, boots sometimes and hangs others, im confident its this bios update but I cant remember fore the life of me which it was before, I know it was some 2017 one but cannot remember, this is so frustrating. Also you said clear the bios first before flashing, how does one do this? Only option is to flash it not clear in the bios? Unless there is a windows one? I am not sure here, if you need pictures mate do let me know i'll do my best, this is beyond frustrating.

Also to note, when actually in windows, nothing wrong at all, perfect etc running smooth all apart from ram reading in system properties as 15.9gb with this bios setting when is actually 16gb and I have not touched CPU, Windows properties report it as default 3200mhz but in CPU-Z it reports as 3391.9mhz Its all very confusing! :<