cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from 3970x to 3990x and now memory doesn't clock higher than 2133

betaman10
Level 9
I just upgraded my 3970x to a 3990x. I put the cpu in my Z2E, but I cannot get the memory to work any higher than 2133. I keep getting a post error saying the bios booted into safe mode. Does anyone know how to resolve this? The memory was working fine on the 3970x at 3600 so I am not sure what the problem is.
20 REPLIES 20

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
ASUS only support stock RAM settings on that board with the 3990X unfortunately :rolleyes:

Umm so it should run at 3200 and not 2133 right? How is this acceptable? Do other motherboards have this issue or only the Z2E? Is Asus going to give me my money back so I can purchase a board that should be compatible with the 3990x?

Call support...they will tell you to go and buy their expensive Alpha board. That's the only board from ASSUS that will allow RAM to run at it's rated XMP or above specs. ASSUS is screwing people with all other boards again.

Which is why most people I know in this tech arena will no longer buy ASSUS anymore. If they don't support their customers with proper product support, then why should we support them and their business.

betaman10 wrote:
Umm so it should run at 3200 and not 2133 right? How is this acceptable? Do other motherboards have this issue or only the Z2E? Is Asus going to give me my money back so I can purchase a board that should be compatible with the 3990x?

All the other boards from MSI , gigabyte and asrock support the 3990x without any limit, ASUS Handicapped the bios for the non alpha board to force the people to buy the Alpha

chemcup wrote:
All the other boards from MSI , gigabyte and asrock support the 3990x without any limit, ASUS Handicapped the bios for the non alpha board to force the people to buy the Alpha

Thank you everyone I have an Alpha coming Monday unfortunately I need 10gb and eatx size and all the usb ports it provides so yeah I had to go Asus. Amazon accepted the return of what I will say is a flawed board that should be recalled. Please Asus don't pull this crop again all it does is make customers not want to buy your products.

Got the alpha up and running memory is now at 3600 and everything seems to be working great. Also one thing I noticed on the 3970x with pbo under full load I would average around 3.9mhz and CPU temps would be 95c. Using the same cooler on the 3990x with pbo all 64 cores stress test I get 3.7mhz and 85c temps. So yeah IDK if I got a a golden chip or if you really get what you pay for with your 4k but wow 200mhz loss for double the cores is amazing.

Screw ASUS, you should have bought a different brand motherboard instead of giving in to their dishonest tactics of crippling the BIOS.

bluestang wrote:
Screw ASUS, you should have bought a different brand motherboard instead of giving in to their dishonest tactics of crippling the BIOS.

You are absolutely right and I would have if I didn't love my caselabs sma8 so much and could fit the auros extreme in it. Unfortunately all trx40 boards have downsides and just so happens that the Asus ones had the least for my config and demands I needed. I am not condoning what Asus has done at all and I firmly believe a recall is needed if they can't fix the bios. Hopefully the only reason they are being so quiet about it is because of the virus going around. Only time will tell I guess.

betaman10 wrote:
Thank you everyone I have an Alpha coming Monday unfortunately I need 10gb and eatx size and all the usb ports it provides so yeah I had to go Asus. Amazon accepted the return of what I will say is a flawed board that should be recalled. Please Asus don't pull this crop again all it does is make customers not want to buy your products.

All high-end motherboards from MSI Asrock Gigabyte have 10 GB LAN and many USBs. If this is not enough, you can use a USB hub. The Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme has two 10GB LANs.