cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith II Extreme - Disable memory training

xOperator
Level 7
How do you disable the memory training on boot up?

I've had my motherboard now for almost 3 months now and its super annoying to get these random reboots on post for the memory training.
It varies between no reboot, to sometimes 10-11 reboots.

I have Fast Boot enabled.
Where is MRC Fast Boot option in AI Tweaker to disable memory training?
I checked all the memory timing settings.

Was it removed?
9 REPLIES 9

micboule
Level 8
I have random reboots too here with:

Asus Zenith II Extreme
3970x
G.Skill Trident Z Neo (for AMD Ryzen) F4-3600C18D-32GTZN (not in QVL list)

I'm wondering why it does that.

anyone have any ideas?

I think my USB sound card died because of these constant on/off reboot cycles during post
(I cant remember the options but I have it set so all my USB and motherboard LEDs are powered off)

xOperator wrote:
anyone have any ideas?

I think my USB sound card died because of these constant on/off reboot cycles during post
(I cant remember the options but I have it set so all my USB and motherboard LEDs are powered off)

The constant on/off reboot cycles seems to be a symptom of the non alpha I had the same issues with the non alpha, but now with the Alpha it no longer does that. If I had to guess Asus really messed up on the memory on the non alpha and realized they should probably fix it but instead of replacing all the defective boards they released the Alpha. I am sure they didn't sell a ton of non alphas it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal to replace them all, but thats Asus for you.

chemcup
Level 7
Try to run the memory at default voltage 1.2v and overclock the memory just using higher timing, see if that will disable memory training.

ASUS have messed auto timings in latest bios updates, you need to use earlier bios, like 02xx-05xx, and see how it will perform. Since it have double bios, you should have one old, if you haven't updated all two. And if it will be okay on old bios, just copy and paste memory timings from old to latest bios, that's all.

Try turning off Fast Boot. Seems to cause issues with important things on bootup these days.

hitman60 wrote:
ASUS have messed auto timings in latest bios updates, you need to use earlier bios, like 02xx-05xx, and see how it will perform. Since it have double bios, you should have one old, if you haven't updated all two. And if it will be okay on old bios, just copy and paste memory timings from old to latest bios, that's all.

Turns out, this was the issue.
I was on Bios 0702 (070x something)

If I reset to factory defaults, make no changes, I would still get constant reboots. In fact, I've been on factory settings for about 2 weeks now.

Anyways, flash forward to last night, I flashed my bios to 0902, did the first reboot and the memory training cycle.
Powered off completely, then booted up, and rebooted 5 more times, and it worked perfectly, no reboot cycles during the memory check.

Then enabled DOCP, after the first initial reboot cycle, rebooted 5 more times, still working perfectly.
Now I have a good baseline to tweak from.

So it seems that Bios 0702 was buggy.

martine-dee
Level 12
Hey there.

I am curious, what is the name of the memory part? E.g., mine is CMK32GX4M4A3200C16 .

Also, are the reboots happening in a loop on restart, or in the middle of your work, while the system is up and running?
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
xOperator wrote:
How do you disable the memory training on boot up?

I've had my motherboard now for almost 3 months now and its super annoying to get these random reboots on post for the memory training.
It varies between no reboot, to sometimes 10-11 reboots.

I have Fast Boot enabled.
Where is MRC Fast Boot option in AI Tweaker to disable memory training?
I checked all the memory timing settings.

Was it removed?

The feature you are referring to is needed, or else your system wouldn't POST at all. If the system is retraining that many times, the memory overclock isn't stable enough to pass POST stress tests. If that's the case, you need to reevaluate your memory settings.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090