cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why PCIe 16_1 is only 8x with Dimm2_1 SSD

XYchromosone
Level 10
I have a GTX 1080ti installed in my PCIe 16_1 slot and a Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB installed in the Dimm2_1 card. However the PCIe 16_1 is only running at 8x [see screenshot]. Is there a way to run the vga at 16x? Maybe I have to install the SSD in the M.2 port? instead of the Dimm2?
I keep forgetting which ports share which resource in regards to M.2 or Dimm2. I think though that Dimm2 shares with PCIe16_1 while M.2 is linked directly to the CPU? I must find a place where this info is shared online. Maybe someone could start a thread with this info for member's benefit. TIA for any help guys.
4 REPLIES 4

pndiode
Level 11
Using the DDR4 DIMM.2_Slot. ROG MAXIMUS XI Extreme BIOS Manual User’s Manual (English).

Try using the M.2_1 (Socket 3) on the motherboard to see if that makes a difference.

XYchromosone
Level 10
thank you pndiode, i initially installed the SSD in t he M.2_1 port and if I recall PCIe 16_1 ran at 16 x. I wonder which gives best SSD performance? M.2 or Dimm.2?

If I recall one of the ports runs from the PCM and the other to the CPU, but I'm not sure which port or slot runs with what device? thanks again.

I might be wrong, but the DDR4 DIMM.2 will give better performance with a M.2 SSD. Due to the DDR4 DIMM.2, being tied to the CPU (can move data faster). Whereas, the chipset (PCM/PCH) is crying I have to take care of all these! I do not care (CPU) and I require more lanes to process this data, therefore, I am going to take 8 PCIe lanes from you (chipset) to increase my data flow. Chipset (PCM/PCH) blew a gasket (I am going to get hot/pissed), I have to take care of all these with an additional loss of 8 PCIe lanes.

Now try going from Chipset (PCM/PCH) to CPU using M.2 (Socket 3).

XYchromosone
Level 10
well since I'm connected to DIMM.2_1 I will leave it. however I'm not certain why the PCIe16_1 is running at 8 x if DIMM.2 is connected directly to the CPU? I guess it means it takes 8 PCIe lanes for CPU connection by DIMM.2_1?