cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AX11000 speed is 1/3 what I pay for, no issues with my Linksys, any ideas?

rianquinn
Level 7
Ok, so I just got this $400 wireless router thinking it would be a upgrade, only to find out that its slower than my Linksys AC router. This is my setup:
- Comcast with 200 down (i usually see 250)
- Line coming in is connected to a modem
- Modem is connected to my Linksys. Wireless on the Linksys is disabled, I simply use it as a router with NAT, DHCP, etc...
- AX11000 is connected to the Linksys (via the ethernet ports, not the WAN or 2.5 ports)
- The AX11000 is setup in AP mode, so it only provide wireless access.

As for device connections, my main system (I run the Zenith II Extreme Alpha with an AMD 3990X) is connected to the Linksys directly (i.e. it is not connected to the AX11000) and I see 250 down when I do a speed test. My XBox and Apple TV are connected to the AX11000 directly, as well as all of my wireless devices. When I do a speed test from both wired and wireless devices, I see 60 down at best (sometimes it is as low as 20). I also see a lot of signal degridation. For example, my brand new laptop, sitting 2 feet from the router sometimes only sees 80% signal strength, and my iPhone cannot get a good signal downstairs which was never a problem with the Linksys when it was providing wireless.

I have the latest firmware, and I reset all of the factory settings. I have no idea what to do to get this thing working. I don't think it has anything to do with the wireless radio settings as I see this issue on wired as well.

Any ideas?
Do I just return this thing and never get an ASUS router again?
4 REPLIES 4

dadmi
Level 7
Connect WAN of AX11000 to the LAN of Linksys.

rianquinn wrote:
Ok, so I just got this $400 wireless router thinking it would be a upgrade, only to find out that its slower than my Linksys AC router. This is my setup:
- Modem is connected to my Linksys. Wireless on the Linksys is disabled, I simply use it as a router with NAT, DHCP, etc...
- AX11000 is connected to the Linksys (via the ethernet ports, not the WAN or 2.5 ports)

As for device connections, my main system (I run the Zenith II Extreme Alpha with an AMD 3990X) is connected to the Linksys directly (i.e. it is not connected to the AX11000) and I see 250 down when I do a speed test. My XBox and Apple TV are connected to the AX11000 directly, as well as all of my wireless devices. When I do a speed test from both wired and wireless devices, I see 60 down at best (sometimes it is as low as 20). I also see a lot of signal degridation. For example, my brand new laptop, sitting 2 feet from the router sometimes only sees 80% signal strength, and my iPhone cannot get a good signal downstairs which was never a problem with the Linksys when it was providing wireless.

I have the latest firmware, and I reset all of the factory settings. I have no idea what to do to get this thing working. I don't think it has anything to do with the wireless radio settings as I see this issue on wired as well.

Any ideas?

QUOTE=dadmi;800246]Connect WAN of AX11000 to the LAN of Linksys.

Connecting to WAN didn't seem to change much. I ended up changing out the cables, and now I get the speeds I am looking for on my wired connections. Wireless is still a problem. Specifically, as soon as I would go upstairs the signal was pretty much gone (the wireless range on this thing is terrible). Assuming that I simply need some additional APs for the house I grabed the AX6100 pair and put them in AiMesh mode, and now I can get WiFi throughout the house. I don't 200 down everywhere, even if I am standing 2 feet from an AP, but things do seem to be working better from a signal strength point of view.

The problem I am having now is some of my wireless devices seem to have "blips" in the stream. You wouldn't notice this if all you were doing was using buffered media like video, etc... but I use GeForce Experience + Moonlight to play games on my laptop that are actually running on my computer downstairs and that is no longer working. The GT-AX11000 in AP mode with the Linksys ran this just fine once I replaced the cables (finished Doom Eternal in 1440p Ultra Nightmare at 60 FPS with not a single issue), but as soon as I added the 6100 APs and but the AX11000 into AiMesh mode, I cannot play for more than 30 seconds before the screen locks up.

I will likely start another thread so that the title is specific to the problem.

Is there a reason you still have the Linksys in operation?
Try connecting the GT directly to your modem and put it in router mode and run your speed tests again.
Are you seeing issues on all 3 bands?
Do you have smart connect enabled?
Do you have AX enabled? If so, try turning it off.
Also try turning of Airtime Fairness and IGMP Snooping under professional settings.

Vangry
Level 7
rianquinn wrote:

Any ideas?

Don't bother asking for help this forum is dead.

My old AC5300 asus router is faster than this "Wifi 6" router. Asus clearly doesn't care about it's flagship routers i suggest you return it and look for something else.