cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liquid cooling the CPU

mboogie
Level 9
I'm just wondering what folks think about the benefits of going from AIO to custom loop (and it's associated cost) when cooling the Threadripper.

There are a number of suitable CPU blocks out there and, interestingly, there are two new blocks about to be released that offer greater CPU fin coverage (one block specific for the Asus Zenith II board):

Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+ (this is still to be released)
https://optimuspc.com/products/absolute-cpu-block-threadripper-3

EK-Quantum Momentum ROG Zenith II Extreme (available to buy now)
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-momentum-rog-zenith-ii-extreme-d-rgb-plexi

1. In general, should someone coming from a currently available AIO to a custom block expect a significant (say...5oC or greater) CPU temperature reduction?
2. Do you think the above two new options (with larger fin coverage) should reduce that temperature further (I realise difficult to answer without reviews).

While playing about with fan curves in AI Suite 3, in a number of fan curves I see a box called "Critical Temperature (75oC default)" which is ticked by default. I think this only turns the temp reading to red when 75oC is hit? I also see in Ryzen Master in the top left dial ("Processor Temperature", in Home tab) - "Limit 95oC". With these, is it ok (in AI Suite fan curves) to drag to max temp slider point to the right to, say, 90oC (or 95oC, these points default to around 80oC). In doing this we can effectively reduce fan speeds/noise at corresponding temps since the temp ramp continues higher to the right.

For my own situation, after running Aida64 stress test for 15 mins I see (in AI Suite)
Temperature: CPU (78), CPU Package (89), Motherboard (39), Chipset (68), VRM (49), CPU Core Voltage (1.265), CPU Frequency (4000 MHz). Ryzen Master pretty much follows this. I've adjusted the fan curves maximums to the right and see the fans are not maxing out (70-75% for the Noctua case fans), though there is the odd ramp up/down (I could further adjust curves to hopefully control this better).
3 REPLIES 3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Threadripper is crying out for custom loop cooling.

I haven't seen an AIO solution I would even consider for Threadripper so far...

Have Optimus coming for testing.

XSPC my favourite so far...

VRay benchmark completing at 4.3GHz all core on 64 core is not possible on AIO I don't think....

Swiso
Level 9
Hi Arne,
have you tested the Optimus ?
what can you say about it ?

Just bought Zenith II Extreme Alpha and 3960X, what's the best cooling solution (more efficient) that you can suggest ?
Thanks !

A custom loop is just more efficient.
At first it is more expensive sure but it is highly adaptable and the costs will go down in the long run.

Also for threadripper there a no good closed loops.