cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

front usb 2 ports will NOT work but only during post

klepp0906
Level 7
ok, ive spent no joke, 6 hours plus today thinking I had an issue with the formatting on my bootable usb drives.

turns out, my front usb 2.0 ports dont work during post (yet they work fine during windows)

my front usb 3.0 ports DO work during post.

unfortunately, my 2.0 ports are closer & i dont like things not working - so i have to resort to begging
cumulative brainpower.

Any ideas what would cause that behavior? its a high end Z370 board fwiw.
3 REPLIES 3

davemon50
Level 11
Your USB 3's are on your Asmedia controller and your 2's are on your chipset, so I wonder if you need a chipset driver update? The other thing maybe is enabling BIOS startup options like legacy USB devices which should be under your CSM options if you have that enabled. If you don't have CSM enabled, try using it and seeing if it solves your conflict. Just for clarity, this is a different motherboard than is in your PC specs listing?
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Your USB 3's are on your Asmedia controller and your 2's are on your chipset, so I wonder if you need a chipset driver update? The other thing maybe is enabling BIOS startup options like legacy USB devices which should be under your CSM options if you have that enabled. If you don't have CSM enabled, try using it and seeing if it solves your conflict. Just for clarity, this is a different motherboard than is in your PC specs listing?

thank you for the reply. and yes, correct motherboard.

turns out my problem was a bit more simple/direct than that lol.

I have a usb splitter connect to the mobo's only onboard header. it splits that single header into 2. Those 2 headers then each go to 2 usb 2.0 ports each on my front panel.

the splitter is unpowered so i imagine it just doesnt have the juice at that point during the post or some such.

I tried disabling fastboot, because you would think it would have power the same as anything else at the same time, however it doesnt seem to be the case.

that or it has power but the splitting poses a problem until windows itself untangles it.

no idea - above my paygrade 😛

davemon50
Level 11
I use this one in my machine:

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Internal-Controller-Black-AC-IUSBH-M1/dp/B01IFGFTJ2

I have my wireless mouse and wireless KB plugged into it, and one other thing, and when I boot the machine the KB and mouse start up with it, no waiting. I use them in BIOS. Maybe that will work better than what you have?
Davemon50