cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another RVIEE 6 pin EPS connector thread

BigJohnny
Level 13
I’ve just ordered one of these boards and want to be prepared for when it gets here

I typically like using all the power connectors.

There is conflicting information over the 6 pin mystery connector all over the net. One thing I am sure of is it’s not for PCIE power. That’s the EZ plug at the bottom of the board.

Another thing I’m sure of is the PCIE 6 pin polarity is reversed.

I’ve looked everywhere and there is no solid reference for this connector but plenty of conflicting information including one that ended with a cooked MOBO

EPS cables come in two varieties, 8 pin and 4+4. *I’ve not seen a single EPS 6 pin, not that I may have missed it.*

Can we get some insight with 100% reliability?

PCIE 6+2 will go in because the socket top center on the board is square however the cable on that connection is rounded at the bottom. Round will fit in the square but not vice versa.

So what’s the real story? The manual makes no mention of using two 8 pins and says don’t use only the 6 pin but the gnd and +12 are backwards on a 6+2 PCIE cable.

14 REPLIES 14

Int8bldr
Level 11
BigJohnny wrote:
I’ve just ordered one of these boards and want to be prepared for when it gets here

I typically like using all the power connectors.

There is conflicting information over the 6 pin mystery connector all over the net. One thing I am sure of is it’s not for PCIE power. That’s the EZ plug at the bottom of the board.

Another thing I’m sure of is the PCIE 6 pin polarity is reversed.

I’ve looked everywhere and there is no solid reference for this connector but plenty of conflicting information including one that ended with a cooked MOBO

EPS cables come in two varieties, 8 pin and 4+4. *I’ve not seen a single EPS 6 pin, not that I may have missed it.*

Can we get some insight with 100% reliability?

PCIE 6+2 will go in because the socket top center on the board is square however the cable on that connection is rounded at the bottom. Round will fit in the square but not vice versa.

So what’s the real story? The manual makes no mention of using two 8 pins and says don’t use only the 6 pin but the gnd and +12 are backwards on a 6+2 PCIE cable.

So I'm using this R6E encore board with all three EPS cables connected.
2 x 8 pin EPS cables and 1 x 6 pin PCI-e cable (same as you use for the graphics card).
the 8 pin connectors are standard EPS (8 or 4+4 EPS) so standard cables work
the 6 pin connector is standard 6 pin PCI-e connector so standard 6 pin PCI-e cables work

And because the way the cable is constructed it is "impossible" to fit a wrong cable in these connector (well if you use excessive force I guess you could overcome the design and force fit a cable the wrong way).

I also use the EZ-plug which is fits a standard molex cable.

I had my cables custom made but it dose not matter they were made to the EPS and PCI-e standard.

Lastly, this board is excellent and a pleasure to work with!

better VRM cooling than the standard R6E - VRM 50c under heavy load. Max I have seen is in the 60c under excessive load and OC (at 5Ghz)

Power delivery is excellent - stability is much easier to achieve at high OC frequencies 5Ghz or so.

I use a core i9 10980.

Large high density RAM is also much easier to get to work at default XMP frequencies/settings - I got the system to run 128GByte G.skill at default 3600 and timing s with without changing anything (no hand tuning needed, no nothing needed. Just set to XMP and next just focus on OC the Cores. i then went back and tightend the XMP further but was already good).
100% stable with AIDA 64 for more that 24+ hours of memory stress test. Running OC at 5GHz with 128G ram 100% stable for days of various stress tests AIDA (cache, RAM, FP, IT etc) and C15,C20, blender Prime 95 etc. AVX and AVX512 offset at -3 and -4 - gets too hot otherwise.

I think that the power delivery system with all 3 EPS/PCI-e cable connected is what makes this board so much easier to work with compared to my stuggles with R6E.

This is the board they should have releases instead of R6E. 2 years late but a great board!

here are the images of the two types of connectors. Notice the square and rounded connections making in impossible to fit the wrong connector:

Int8bldr wrote:
So I'm using this R6E encore board with all three EPS cables connected.
2 x 8 pin EPS cables and 1 x 6 pin PCI-e cable (same as you use for the graphics card).
the 8 pin connectors are standard EPS (8 or 4+4 EPS) so standard cables work
the 6 pin connector is standard 6 pin PCI-e connector so standard 6 pin PCI-e cables work

And because the way the cable is constructed it is "impossible" to fit a wrong cable in these connector (well if you use excessive force I guess you could overcome the design and force fit a cable the wrong way).

I also use the EZ-plug which is fits a standard molex cable.

I had my cables custom made but it dose not matter they were made to the EPS and PCI-e standard.

Lastly, this board is excellent and a pleasure to work with!

better VRM cooling than the standard R6E - VRM 50c under heavy load. Max I have seen is in the 60c under excessive load and OC (at 5Ghz)

Power delivery is excellent - stability is much easier to achieve at high OC frequencies 5Ghz or so.

I use a core i9 10980.

Large high density RAM is also much easier to get to work at default XMP frequencies/settings - I got the system to run 128GByte G.skill at default 3600 and timing s with without changing anything (no hand tuning needed, no nothing needed. Just set to XMP and next just focus on OC the Cores. i then went back and tightend the XMP further but was already good).
100% stable with AIDA 64 for more that 24+ hours of memory stress test. Running OC at 5GHz with 128G ram 100% stable for days of various stress tests AIDA (cache, RAM, FP, IT etc) and C15,C20, blender Prime 95 etc. AVX and AVX512 offset at -3 and -4 - gets too hot otherwise.

I think that the power delivery system with all 3 EPS/PCI-e cable connected is what makes this board so much easier to work with compared to my stuggles with R6E.

This is the board they should have releases instead of R6E. 2 years late but a great board!

here are the images of the two types of connectors. Notice the square and rounded connections making in impossible to fit the wrong connector:

Thanks for your input. See attached photo of 6 pin PCIE cable. The center pin near the latch is not square. It is rounded on the bottom. As stated before the rounded will fit the square hole but not vice versa your image confirms the polarity is backwards. This is why I have the question. The polarity of what’s on the socket and what’s on PCIE is reversed. Your drawing shows the latch side as being 12V yet PCIE cable Pin outs show the latch side as being gnd. There are dozens to choose from in a web search with some saying plug in 6 pins from a PCIE 6+2 connector and the other half saying if you do that you should change the pins polarity at the connector end. I’ve searched everywhere and there isn’t a 6 pin EPS cable and the manual or any AUS literature doesn’t state to use PCIE with one pin being incorrect in that socket. It’s more like taking another 8 pin and cutting of two connectors on one end. * 84324*

BigJohnny
Level 13
Cut off two of the EPS 8 pin and you have a perfect match

84342Â*

BigJohnny
Level 13
This image shows more clearly

84328*

Ok I'll shut down the system tomorrow and take picture of how the MB connector actually looks and how my cable actually looks. Maybe there is an error in the manual or something.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No need for another thread on this...

No ifs no buts...the 6pin is for a PCIe cable to supply extra EPS power...full stop.

BigJohnny
Level 13
No need to shut down. I have the board in hand and will look at the connector. *Like I said there is conflicting information. I don’t want to cook a new MOBO. I put in a support ticket but we all know how that works. The platform will be out dated before I get a response.

Just looked. That center pin in question is very much square and the rounded pin on a PCIE cable will definitely seat in a square hole.*

84343*

BigJohnny wrote:
No need to shut down. I have the board in hand and will look at the connector. *Like I said there is conflicting information. I don’t want to cook a new MOBO. I put in a support ticket but we all know how that works. The platform will be out dated before I get a response.

Just looked. That center pin in question is very much square and the rounded pin on a PCIE cable will definitely seat in a square hole.*

84343*

yep the PCIe cable fits and works as I said. Potentially the documentation is wrong or the ASUS board may sense and reverse polarity if a PCI cable is inserted instead of a 6-pin EPS12V cable and either automatically reverse currents or simply shuts down the cable (so it is not used).
I just know the PCIe cable I use works or at least it does not cause any harm - so far (famous last words).

I talked with David at Mainframe Custons and it's a PCIE 6-pin cable wired for EPS12V. Getting the custom cable today. I triple checked with him and this is a cable he's built for this board multiple times. You don't really need it as I'm currently running dual 2080tis GPU rendering fine without it but I wanted to plug it in still.

Seems like a regular PCIe works as others have stated but I wanted it to match what I currently have, cable-wise. It would be crappy to think Asus expects us to get a custom cable for this 6-pin so I'd think a regular PCIe would work.

EDIT: That custom eps12v 6-pin was misinformation, when I tried the one they made for me, no boot. PCIe only.