Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Enthusiast Array

I talked with David at Mainframe Custons and it's a PCIE 6-pin cable wired for EPS12V. Getting the custom cable today. I triple checked with him and this is a cable he's built for this board multiple times. You don't really need it as I'm currently running dual 2080tis GPU rendering fine without it but I wanted to plug it in still.

Seems like a regular PCIe works as others have stated but I wanted it to match what I currently have, cable-wise. It would be crappy to think Asus expects us to get a custom cable for this 6-pin so I'd think a regular PCIe would work.

EDIT: That custom eps12v 6-pin was misinformation, when I tried the one they made for me, no boot. PCIe only.
    Last edited by kcmcc; 03-30-2020 at 08:43 PM. Reason: correcting info

New ROGer Array

Funny enough Asus recently (april 10 according to ASUS, but for me it came visible on there website yesterday) published an updated R6EE User Manual named: E16039 v2, BUT back dated to November 2019!

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...lpDesk_Manual/

Anyway, on page 1-27 we find an updated 6-pin plug with the polarities reversed to be identical to a PCIe 6 pin connector (not like in the old manual, the rare 6-pin EPS12v connector)

Again November 2019! Really! They have been sitting on this information since November having us spinning our wheels on what cable to use - @#$@#%.
    Some of us even wasted money on a custom EPS12V cable which does not work (board does not boot)!

Besides that, there were few cosmetic changes but no real functional changes that I could find:
    inserting "USB" in front of "BIOS Flash back" on page 2-17
    and splitting up the memory spec on page ix for core i9 1000X vs core i9 7000x/9000x but the spec are the same so there is no differentiation anyway...
    Last edited by Int8bldr; 04-24-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Int8bldr View Post
    yep the PCIe cable fits and works as I said. Potentially the documentation is wrong or the ASUS board may sense and reverse polarity if a PCI cable is inserted instead of a 6-pin EPS12V cable and either automatically reverse currents or simply shuts down the cable (so it is not used).
    I just know the PCIe cable I use works or at least it does not cause any harm - so far (famous last words).
    I know this thread is no longer in active discussion, but for others with the same question I'd like to confirm the OP's conclusion.

The R6EE manual shows pin 1 as ground, while, as others have shown above, 6-pin PCIe connector put 12V on this pin. Arnie Saknussemm accurately stated "No ifs no buts...the 6pin is for a PCIe cable to supply extra EPS power...full stop." Getting a custom cable made following the R6EE EATX-12_3 pinout in the R6EE manual would be a very bad idea(tm) .
    Last edited by rosefire; 05-03-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Fixed punk to ation

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by rosefire View Post
    I know this thread is no longer in active discussion, but for others with the same question I'd like to confirm the OP's conclusion.

The R6EE manual shows pin 1 as ground, while, as others have shown above, 6-pin PCIe connector put 12V on this pin. Arnie Saknussemm accurately stated "No ifs no buts...the 6pin is for a PCIe cable to supply extra EPS power...full stop." Getting a custom cable made following the R6EE EATX-12_3 pinout in the R6EE manual would be a very bad idea(tm) .
    Confirmed: It is a standard 6-pin PCIe power connector - the same as is used for a graphics card.
    Also, look in the updated manual posted just recently on ASUS site (not in the paper version). They have fixed the manual so that it 6-pin PCIe power connector is now drawn correctly.

I can also confirm that a 6-pin EPS 12 power cable does not work. The system refuses to boot. Will not fry your board or CPU, but it won't boot.
    Last edited by Int8bldr; 05-05-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2