cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AC5300 (FW 3.0.0.4_384_81686) drops off 2.4 GHz band frequently

mfliorko
Level 7
My GT-AC5300 emits unstable 2.4 GHz signals. I cannot say whether it's a hardware defect or an issue with firmware (I've updated to the latest one: 3.0.0.4_384_81686). The signal from the router looks like at the following picture:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p3hNbQq_j_hX3N4tUzmy2kPdSKeWc87X/view?usp=sharing

- ZubraHome^et2 - from GT-AC5300 within one-meter distance to a computer (the original network name at the router is ZubraHomeNet2),
- ZubraHomeNet - from old and cheap TP-Link located two floors below.

There is just few routers nearby with very low signals. Hence, the problem cannot be caused by wave interference.

I've read router documentation, different forums, tried different settings, reset to factory default etc. nothing helped. No devices can establish connections with the router at 2.4 GHz.

And 5.1 band works good.

As the device is bought in China, Asus Global Support replied: "This problem is the reason for transferring the router to a service center. But your device does not have a warranty in Ukraine and an authorized service will not accept it for repair." The reseller at AliExpress has not replied to my messages for a while.

Hence, I need a solution to fix the expensive router by myself.

I have very positive experience with RT-AC86U which works perfectly well. So, I can compare performance and internal settings of both routers.
RT-AC86U seems unbeatable whereas GT-AC5300 does not work with any configurations...

If someone here can help me, I'll really appreciate. If you need more information (sys log, screenshots etc.) just reply to this post and I'll provide them.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
10 REPLIES 10

Jesseinsf
Level 10
mfliorko wrote:
My GT-AC5300 emits unstable 2.4 GHz signals. I cannot say whether it's a hardware defect or an issue with firmware (I've updated to the latest one: 3.0.0.4_384_81686). The signal from the router looks like at the following picture:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p3h...ew?usp=sharing

- ZubraHome^et2 - from GT-AC5300 within one-meter distance to a computer (the original network name at the router is ZubraHomeNet2),

There is just few routers nearby with very low signals. Hence, the problem cannot be caused by wave interference.

I've read router documentation, different forums, tried different settings, reset to factory default etc. nothing helped. No devices can establish connections with the router at 2.4 GHz.

And 5.1 band works good.

As the device is bought in China, Asus Global Support replied: "This problem is the reason for transferring the router to a service center. But your device does not have a warranty in Ukraine and an authorized service will not accept it for repair." The reseller at AliExpress has not replied to my messages for a while.

I have very positive experience with RT-AC86U which works perfectly well. So, I can compare performance and internal settings of both routers.
RT-AC86U seems unbeatable whereas GT-AC5300 does not work with any configurations...

If someone here can help me, I'll really appreciate. If you need more information (sys log, screenshots etc.) just reply to this post and I'll provide them.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

I have the same issue with my ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 that I purchased from Amazon.com a year ago. I live in a single floor 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment. No need for a Mesh setup.

Hi,
I have problem with wi-fi connection, the signal is fine but is tell me Authentification Problems on wifi android device.
This is happens form the begin. I'm very sad, my family is againt me because the mobile devices can't work well on wifi.
Can someone help me to decide what to do, sent the router to the service? Of is a software problem.

There are known issues with the wireless on these devices. It is not your hardware it is a firmware issue and something that ASUS need to fix. If they look at the RT-AC5300 Merlin 384.15 firmware that works flawlessly for wireless (later versions are flakey) I suspect this is an issue with the base ASUS code.

At the moment my GT-AC5300 is back to being an expensive paperweight and the RT-AC5300 with Merlin 384.15 is rock solid.

Jesseinsf
Level 10
It's not just the 2.4Ghz radio, it's everything. I believe it's the firmware. My neighbors have stronger signal than me (even when I am close to the router). And the device dropouts and disappearing SSIDs/and sometimes the router prevents devices from connecting. When this happens I have to reboot the router. I have a ROG Rapture GT-AC5300.

I continue chatting with Asus Global Support about my case. You can follow our correspondence here:
https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/MailDetail/E2005061372?lang=en-us&isblack=

If you experience the same issue, you can provide more details that I'll add to the support ticket:
- where and when did you buy your device,
- in what country do you use the device,
- which version of the firmware do you use,
- any other issue evidence that can be helpful.

Regards,
Michael

UPDATE:

After posting the issue on the forum Asus released a new version of the firmware for GT-AC5300.

The latest version today is 3.0.0.4.384.81686.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/GT-AC5300/FW_GT_AC5300_300438481695.zip

It did not fix the issue. Signals continue dropping off frequently.

Asus Support team replies to my ticket but rejects to provide any support in Ukraine.
I could not believe that the big company, that sells goods in Ukraine and has service centers here, declines to fix the factory defect of its product bought in another country.

v3.0.0.4.384.81695 has been available since March 26, 2020. And you are correct, it doesn't fix anything.

wilsondenq
Level 10
mfliorko wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p3hNbQq_j_hX3N4tUzmy2kPdSKeWc87X/view?usp=sharing

And 5.1 band works good.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Hi

Could you kindly use feedback in web gui for RD team, let's check if its a defected HW, if you have done this, please PM message and share email to me, we can trace the log from server.
Thanks.

I also had problems with this device.
The wifi failed completely from time to time. Maybe 1-2 times a day for a certain time.
I took advantage of the warranty and received a new replacement device from Amazon.

There may be a contact problem with a BGA chip.
This defect could occur due to the operating heat.
The new device is now permanently on a notebook cooling pad in the laundry room, which is cold all year round.