cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AX11000 as media bridge - performance WAY below link rate

Ignitionnet
Level 7
Using a pair of GT-AX11000s, one as router, the other media bridge.

The media bridge is running on radio 5G-2 and is the only device connected to it.

The link rate is constantly changing between 2.4 Gbit/s and 2.8 Gbit/s.

The throughput, however, is about 1/10th that, varying from 220 Mbit/s to 290 Mbit/s.

The wireless performance of other devices, whether AX-compatible or running on AC, is slower than it was for my previous router

Reading the posts on here it seems I'm not the only person enjoying being a beta tester for the wireless chipset.

Any thoughts other than returning these two devices?

Stupid me thinking that 2 devices with the same chipset, providing 160 MHz of 4x4 MiMo 802.11ax to the bridge, would deliver more capacity than a 1x1 80 MHz 802.11ac link can. 😞
3 REPLIES 3

e38BimmerFN
Level 7
Have you taken in to account:
Mbps : Megabit per second (Mbit/s or Mb/s) vs MB/s : Megabyte per second
1 byte = 8 bits
1 bit = (1/8) bytes
1 bit = 0.125 bytes
1 megabyte = 10002 bytes
1 megabit = 10002 bits
1 megabit = 0.125 megabytes
1 megabit/second = 0.125 megabytes/second
1 Mbps = 0.125 MB/s

Also Thruput speeds will not be the same as connection rates. These are two different things. Connection rates is only the connection between the two AX devices. Thruput speeds will differ.

Converting 290Mbits to MB shows 290 Mbps = 36.25 MB/s. You would think that this would be way higher though.
You are using 1Gb connected wired devices at the end of the Media Bridge?
Test different wired PCs to compare.
What is the distance between the two? 25 feet should be starting distance. Line of site if possible. Building materials will impact 5Ghz signals.

What version of FW are you using? Some say that most current isn't good. I downgraded mine to prior version.

I this was just posted this past week:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117094-New-Firmware-ROG-Rapture-GT-AX11000
Might try this if you haven't. I may on mine.

Try using 5ghz-1 band. 5ghz-2 seems a bit buggy on the ax11000 especially if trying to get 160hz. I'm sure you all ready know this but make sure you manually set the channel on the main router and depending on your location, maybe go with a non-dfs channel. To avoid future issues, make sure the bridge has a static ip assigned. Gotta be honest, bridge mode with Asus has been hit or miss in my experience for the last few years, especially with the ROG routers and the rt-ax88u with the main issue being that the bridge would lose connection after a day or 2 and then revert back to the factory ip address even when a static ip had been put in and of course, the speed issues. I did find that 5ghz-1 tended to be the faster, more stable connection for some reason. I have also found that using AC instead of AX was more stable and faster as well. For now, I've given up on bridge mode and currently have 2 ax11000's in a mesh system which has surprisingly been very stable and fast. However, do to the above mentioned issues with 5ghz-2, the backbone is running at 80hz.

Do you see the GTs connect at 4800Mbps at all? Just curious. I only have 1 GT unit in wireless bridge mode and trying to check to see if these actually see anything near 4800Mpbs on 5Ghz. I know it depends on settings on the host router as well. I heard using the lower 5Ghz channels is preferred.