cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Pre-filled EK-MLC GPU block to use for Asus Posiden 1080 TI?

Jyu_Viole_Grace
Level 7
What Pre-filled EK-MLC GPU block to use for Asus Poseiden 1080 TI?

The temperature on my card is exceeding 80 degree when playing games like destiny 2 and division or World of Warcraft on max setting.

What Pre Filled GPU block can i use on my Asus Poesiden 1080 TI?

I purchased it when it firat came out. I still like the card and dont want to buy anew 2080 ti or 5700 XT.

So what are my choices for EK-MLC blocks which are pre filled?
2 REPLIES 2

Baze_Geo
Level 7
Jyu Viole Grace wrote:
What Pre-filled EK-MLC GPU block to use for Asus Poseiden 1080 TI?

The temperature on my card is exceeding 80 degree when playing games like destiny 2 and division or World of Warcraft on max setting.

What Pre Filled GPU block can i use on my Asus Poesiden 1080 TI?

I purchased it when it firat came out. I still like the card and dont want to buy anew 2080 ti or 5700 XT.

So what are my choices for EK-MLC blocks which are pre filled?

I was in the same boat 🙂 but things got resolved. I purchased the same card in 2017 when it got released, plugged into my CPU liquid loop straight away. Card's performance was a beast, but problems with the temperature started from the very beginning reaching 75-80C on water. while CPU sitting below 50c on demanding game loads.

Had the same thing in mind to go for EK or other third party GPU block and could not find a compliant one so had to do a lot of research and playing around with my setup
1. Disassembled the GPU checked the thermal paste and pad application and reapplied it. It was fine.
2. Added some washers to the holding bolts from the backplate side to make a full proper contact of the cooling part to the PCB of the GPU. Without those washers threading is bit on a short side and contact was not perfect, those small plastic washers press the parts together. This requires removing the warranty sticker btw so, please note this.
3. Eliminated GPU sag (I'm pretty sure you will have if card is in normal/horizontal position) with a GPU bracket, used normal cheapo bracket at start and switched to a vertical GPU mount later with a PCI-E riser.

After the above steps temps dropped down to MAX 55-60 on heavy load and GPU is still working for my daily demands.

Hope this helps,

Another weird thing (that is my case) for you to note this card does not like the frequent updates from Nvidia and current stable GR driver without freezes and stuttering is 441.86 (can be downloaded from Asus Poseidon 1080ti page)

Baze_Geo wrote:
I was in the same boat 🙂 but things got resolved. I purchased the same card in 2017 when it got released, plugged into my CPU liquid loop straight away. Card's performance was a beast, but problems with the temperature started from the very beginning reaching 75-80C on water. while CPU sitting below 50c on demanding game loads.

Had the same thing in mind to go for EK or other third party GPU block and could not find a compliant one so had to do a lot of research and playing around with my setup
1. Disassembled the GPU checked the thermal paste and pad application and reapplied it. It was fine.
2. Added some washers to the holding bolts from the backplate side to make a full proper contact of the cooling part to the PCB of the GPU. Without those washers threading is bit on a short side and contact was not perfect, those small plastic washers press the parts together. This requires removing the warranty sticker btw so, please note this.
3. Eliminated GPU sag (I'm pretty sure you will have if card is in normal/horizontal position) with a GPU bracket, used normal cheapo bracket at start and switched to a vertical GPU mount later with a PCI-E riser.

After the above steps temps dropped down to MAX 55-60 on heavy load and GPU is still working for my daily demands.

Hope this helps,

Another weird thing (that is my case) for you to note this card does not like the frequent updates from Nvidia and current stable GR driver without freezes and stuttering is 441.86 (can be downloaded from Asus Poseidon 1080ti page)

On point with #3. I do have a mounting bracket, since this card is fat and heavy and i do not want the sag on my brand new ryzen mother board.

I am not liquid cooling my CPU since the Wraith cooler in my case is wonders and keeping it cool.

EK does have a pre-filled GPU and CPU block for ryzen and poseidon 1080 ti. i just need to find which one. I dont want to go with the hassle of doing a custom liquid cooling since i dont have space for a Pump in my iCue 465x case. thus the wanting on prefilled EK blocks.