cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several problems with my G74SX. (Not shutting down, random colors, freezing)

Lazer77
Level 7
I have had my G74SX since about August of last year, and as much as I love this computer, it has had several problems since I bought it. Before this I owned a G51VX-R05 and never had any major problems like this before. So here is a short summary of the problems I have:

1) It freezes a LOT, and mostly during really simple tasks (never really during games or anything more intensive). Most of the time, I am just browsing on Firefox, nothing demanding at all and nothing demanding running in the background. Most of the time the computer completely locks up, CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work, letting it sit there doesn't work, it just stays frozen. So I have to again, force shut down by holding the power button. This has been going on basically since I got it, about 2 weeks in I started noticing it. This happens approximately 1-2 times a week, one of those times are when I cannot recover it.

2) Whenever I turn my computer on from hibernate, usually the entire screen flashes one solid shade of color (75% of the time its red, the other 25% is yellow) for about 1-2 seconds before showing the user login screen. I am not sure if this is a problem, but it definitely doesn't seem normal at all.

3) Whenever I use a certain DVD burning software, when it is at then of the process, and the process says its "finalizing", my computer gets a blue screen of death just as the DVD pops out, every single time. But the DVD turns out fine. So once again, I have to do a force shut down. When I use another program to burn the DVD (less preferable because of less features), it does not give me the blue screen. I noticed this immediately when I bought it.

I love this computer to death, and I have been taking great care of it, but these little problems have been really concerning me. Especially since the previous ASUS laptop I owned was a display model which worked flawlessly for years, and this one had several problems right out of the box. Does anyone know what could be causing any of these, and how I can fix them?
17 REPLIES 17

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Sounds to me like the kind of constant, glitchy behavior not uncommon to a bloated OEM installation. Did you ever go through and uninstall any of the Asus bloatware, or is it all still running? Getting rid of as much of that as possible, and updating critical drivers, would be the first step I'd take.

More "aggressively," I think a fresh installation would probably help a lot. There are a couple options:

• Do a factory restore (using the recovery partition on the hard drive). Then, update things and add you own programs slowly, so you can assess the impact of the changes before adding more software.
  • Do a clean Windows install. This guarantees that you'll be completely rid of the bloatware, or at least you'll only be running that which you actually choose to install.

Lazer77
Level 7
Hey Brodyboy, I appreciate your help, I actually responded to you in the other thread.

If a mod can delete this thread, please do so. I apologize for having the two.

I did the clean WIndows install, and deleted all partitions in the process. Now I have my computer up and running, but the drivers are missing. Most importantly, the driver which allows me to access the internet.

I replied in the other thread, if you would like (and I would prefer) to just abandon this one and post in the other one, and have a mod delete it if at all possible.

Giako
Level 7
Hi,
I encountered the same problem ...
Can you tell me how it was solved?
I can not find the other threads that talk about it ...
Thank you!
Asus G74sx-91328v 3D ~ GTX560M 3GB ~ 16GB Ram ~ 750GB 7200rpm ~ SSD Intel 520s 120GB ~

ColonelS
Level 9
Hi Giako,

Try the recovery method yet? Hit the F9 when you reboot your laptop. Everything will be back to factory setting. Let us know the outcome
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

Giako
Level 7
Ok thanks ... I also try to reinstall the OS I'll know the outcome ... as soon as possible ...
You've solved in this way?
Asus G74sx-91328v 3D ~ GTX560M 3GB ~ 16GB Ram ~ 750GB 7200rpm ~ SSD Intel 520s 120GB ~

HavokD
Level 9
Hi,

I had the same behaviour on my stock, new G73sw-xt1. I fixed it by downloading a bunch of different nvidia drivers and checking them one by one. Each one gave me a different issue, the stock one gave me a lot of freezes, sluggish mouse cursor, sudden weird sounds coming out of the speakers; then others gave me a long black screen after the Starting Windows splash image; others broke up my hibernate and sleep (couldnt resume from them), and a long etc. But I found the right ones, currently using 275.33 WHQL and they turned my pc into a damn beast.

This fixed my stuff (also a friend had a similar problem with an Alienware M15x, and he fixed it with other set of drivers), you just need patience.

Yeah, I would go ahead and do a clean install using a bare bones windows 7 disk and then install the latest drivers one by one. Here what i did to clean up some issues i was having (credit to brodyboy)

Download and burn your own windows 7 disk, download all the driver before hand and put on a usb (makes install quicker, and its a bitch trying to download drivers w/o your wifi card installed lol) theres links to download and latest drivers here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

1. Go into BIOS Setup and load optimized defaults
2. Windows OEM fresh install
3. Check the hardware IDs for your WLAN and touchpad devices to confirm their manufacturers. Make sure that you are installing the appropriate drivers.
4. Intel chipset 9.3.0.1019
5. Intel RST (without Intel Control Center)
6. Intel MEI 7.0.4.1197
7. nVidia graphics driver 295.73 (without unneeded components, like updater)
8. Fresco USB3.0 3.5.24.0 (plus the AsPatch)
9. Realtek HD audio 2.67
10. Touchpad (Sentelic or Synaptics, as appropriate) If Sentelic stick to 9.1.3.5 drivers (less problems)
11. Realtek LAN 7.050
12. Realtek Multi-card Reader 6.1.7600.10001
13. WLAN driver (Intel or Atheros, as appropriate)
14. ATK Package 1.0.0015
G75
-i7-3610QM -16GB DDR3
-256GB Patriot SSD -Nvidia GTX 670M 3GB
-1TB HHD Storage

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Hmmm....a lot of that sure looks familiar.... 😉

Just or the record, when I list the essential drivers that I recommend, I do not consider that a guide or set of instructions for a clean install. I think there is a lot more to ensuring a successful clean install than a simple list.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Just or the record, when I list the essential drivers that I recommend, I do not consider that a guide or set of instructions for a clean install. I think there is a lot more to ensuring a successful clean install than a simple list.

That's right! A blood sacrifice is usually required for these ASUS laptops... ;>{)>
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT