cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703VM Keyboard Stopped Working

tmarszal
Level 7
Hi all,
I have a GL703VM. About a week ago the keyboard and back light stopped working. The only button that works is the power button. I am able to plug in a USB keyboard and it works just fine. Also, the power indicator light is on all the time now, even after I turn the laptop off. It didn't do that before. For an FYI, I am not well versed in computer software so I am hesitant to make some changes without knowing exactly what I'm doing. Here is what I have done (most of this is done through online research suggestions).

What works on the laptop:
1. Power Button
2. USB Keyboard
3. Mouse touchpad and buttons

What I have tried:
1. Update (or reinstall) drivers in device manager, but there are no keyboard options in the device manager for drivers. (Keyboard shows up with the USB keyboard plugged in and disappears when I unplug it).
2. Downloaded Driver Booster hoping it would find the appropriate drivers for the keyboard. It didn't.
3. Uninstalled ATK package and reinstalled it from ASUS driver website.
4. Can't access the bios with the laptop keyboard, but can with the usb keyboard. (I could type with the usb keyboard and not the laptop keyboard in bios. I didn't make any changes in the bios. I believe the bios driver is up to date.)
5. Tried the filter keys on/off in the settings. No luck.
6. Called ASUS support. Since I couldn't access the bios with the laptop keyboard, they wanted me to do a factory reset on it. I asked if there are some drivers (or something) I could download to get the keyboard to work again. They said doing a factory reset would force the computer to find and download the appropriate drivers. I have not done this yet.

I have backed up everything on my computer to an external hard drive, but would like to use the factory reset as a last resort option.

Any extra help would be greatly appreciated!
18 REPLIES 18

hexaae
Level 12
Interesteing... very similar: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117069-GL703GS-keyboard-dead-apparently-after-some-Windows...
Possibly a MAJOR bug in Windows Updates VS ASUS software (or BIOS)...
GL703GS here...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

Yes it does seem like we have very similar issues. From some of my other research, others have had this same problem with other models too. I agree, I think it is a problem with Windows and ASUS software as well.

Check this thread out. This one is a GL503GE, but it has exactly the same issues as mine. They were able to use a driver from ASUS listed as "Hotfix" which seems like fixed their issue. Except the keyboard stops working and they just reinstall the "Hotfix" again and everything works again.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104550-Asus-ROG-Strix-GL503GE-laptop-keyboard-is-not-worki...

I tried the "Hotfix" for mine, but it didn't work. However, when you have to select the OS on ASUS's website, it isn't listed under Windows 10. I had to select "Other" under the OS drop down menu to show the "Hotfix". This other user's thread I attached here had the "Hotfix" actually listed under their OS. Maybe look to see if yours has the "Hotfix" listed on your OS and give that a try.

hexaae
Level 12
I've found also ROG Aura Core Component 1.0.14 on https://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/ and tried to reinstall everything from scratch (Aura Core from MS Store, Aura Core Component 1.0.14, Aura Service* 3.03.38 hotfix). I've also tested without Aura Core Component as suggested on https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036500/

*Aura Service == LightingService

Nothing changed for me, still problems...

Also noticed BASIC EFFECTS like Music and Smart do not work anymore and keyboard leds stay off when selected (Customize 1, 2 do work as soon as I select any effect instead):

BASIC EFFECTS:
Music: led colors based on real-time audio play
Smart: led colors based on CPU temp

Gaming Laptop ASUS GL703GS (BIOS 310)
CPU i7-8750H (iGPU unavailable)
GTX 1070 8GB (non-Max-Q, 10DE 1BE1 - 1043 1011, GP104 A1, vbios 86.04.7c.00.24, Samsung VRAM)
Windows 10 Pro 1909 (build 18363.720)
Desktop res: 1080p (1920x1080)
Screen: 144Hz + g-sync AUO B173HAN03.2 [AUO329D]
Audio: Realtek HD Audio (ALC295 chipset)
Hard disks: NVMe Samsung, SSD Crucial
USB Blu-Ray 4K drive: Archgon Star MD-8102P-U3YC-UHDB (Pioneer BDR-UD04)
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae
Level 12
FIXED "BASIC EFFECTS" NOT WORKING ANYMORE

Reinstalled old version. Just found that Aura Core from MS Store + Aura Core Component 1.0.14 + good old Aura Lighting Service 1.00.41 (from C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Win32App\ASUS\Aura Lighting Service\1.00.41\ directory after original out-of-the-box installation) restored at least BASIC EFFECTS: Music and Smart.
Did not solve led (and keyboard) off issue after Shutdown or Hibernation (when this happens, to wake up led + keboard again I have to disconnect power cable and press power button to resume PC from battery).

It's a Russian roulette with these crappy and untested ASUS software and Windows updates...
--

Yeah this is like Russian roulette. This makes me 2nd guess if I would get another ASUS product in the future. At least you are able to get your keyboard working again, it just sounds like a PITA to get it to work. I sure hope we are able to get some assistance in solving this issue. It seems that a lot of people (with other models) have other odd issues that they can't figure out either. It really does point to an issue with ASUS software working with Windows. It seems that some models have updates and fixes and others don't.

I'll keep searching around. I may resort to doing a full factory reset. If I do, I'll let you know how that goes.

hexaae
Level 12
Did you try to put it in Hibernation, unplug power cord and press Power button to resume (try more than once)? For me it temporarily re-enables leds+keyboard, 'till next hibernation/shutdown at least...
--

I did try that as well as other combinations. Nothing has worked.

I tried looking under (C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Win32App\ASUS\Aura Lighting Service\1.00.41) like you had mentioned. I don't even have the "Win32App" in the software folder. I was hoping to find that and be able to get back volume and music controls.

hexaae
Level 12
Strange... that dir is not deleted after pre-installed software deploy.
You can find backup of restore DVDs with all files on https://www.asustreiber.de/downloads/category/60-windows-10?start=30
--

Yeah it is strange. I'm not sure what is going on. Unfortunately, my laptop model isn't listed on that website. I did just see another user post up with very similar issues. Their first post dates back to October of 2018 and it still isn't solved. I didn't see this one before.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105757-GL753VE-Keyboard-not-working