cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just tore my PC apart to install new tubing and coolant and need some help

Mike_Kelly
Level 10
I have not been here for a long time, as Lightning hit the pole and the telephone wires fried some parts on my pc.
I ended up not being able to afford a new Formula VII as they were around 500 bucks used online. I bought a gigabyte
1150 board for my i7-4790K and while my old board could OC to over 5GH, the Gaming 7 board would not do 47
without crashing. After awhile, it stopped going into bios without taking out a ram card and I mailed it back
as it was under warranty. I will sell it when they return it as I hope to get my old VII formula going again.

I hooked up my old Formula VII and it had the cpu in it and no fan or water cooling so it DID go into bios
before the sensor shut it down for being too hot. I installed it back in the Corsair 650D case and am in
the process of cleaning the fans and Rads and setting it up once again.

I cant find the add on thing that would have made figuring out the bottom little plugs that control
power LED + and - reset ,and power buttons there are 5 in total and some seem to go vertical and some horizontal

the 1394 plug, looked at manual and cant figure that out
upper left side has EATX12v-1. and the way one of my wires that says CPU seems to want to go in that spot
but I do not dare do so without knowing its ok.

Thank You for any help You can give Me, I appreciate it very much.
2 REPLIES 2

davemon50
Level 11
Mike Kelly wrote:

I cant find the add on thing that would have made figuring out the bottom little plugs that control
power LED + and - reset ,and power buttons there are 5 in total and some seem to go vertical and some horizontal

the 1394 plug, looked at manual and cant figure that out
upper left side has EATX12v-1. and the way one of my wires that says CPU seems to want to go in that spot
but I do not dare do so without knowing its ok.

Thank You for any help You can give Me, I appreciate it very much.

That connector for the bottom plugs is what Asus calls the Q connector. It's for all your system panel connections. Q probably stands for "quick", it makes it easier for you to connect all those tiny single pin connections to it like a block, and then plug the block onto your motherboard without having to get your fingers in there. I think you can probably order them online on ebay, or maybe even from Asus. Anyway, if you don't have one you don't really need it. You just have to put those tiny single pin connectors in the right locations on the board one by one.

I don't think your motherboard has a 1394 plug, so I don't understand your question. The manual says do NOT plug one into the USB ports, or you'll damage the board. A 1394 is commonly called Firewire, and if you don't have a firewire device then you shouldn't worry about it.

I'm sorry but I don't think I understand your other question about the 12V connector. Are you talking about your power wire from your PSU to power the board? That's an 8 pin wire that's probably labeled as such on your PSU, and the larger PSU's like 1000W or more usually come with two of them. Those wires should be labeled as 12V, and they do plug into the location you mentioned. If you notice on your board you have both an 8-pin and a 4-pin header. If your power supply is one of the larger ones with two 12V 8-pin connectors, you would plug them both in if you plan to continue overclocking. The 8-pin connectors divide into 4+4 pins so you can do that. Hope that answers your question?
Davemon50

Mike_Kelly
Level 10
Hi Dave, I am very sorry I did not get back to you to thank you but My PC was down for a long time.

The top of My case has a port for a SSD card, and the final plug says 1394, and no where on my Formula VII do I show a 1394 port, and the manual
says NOT to plug USB things into a 1394 or it will damage the MB. AND as I read Your middle paragraph, You mentioned it.

So the plug is not for firewire, but for the SSD and it has a double row of 5 with the bottom down right being blank.

I will go look at the Corsair Manual for My case

Thanks Dave