cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did clean install of Windows 7, lost as to what drivers to get.

Lazer77
Level 7
I have been having an absurd amount of problems with my G74SX over the past few months that I figured a clean install would be my best route. So I did that, and now I have my computer up and running, but I realized that I do not have the ASUS resource disc with me (can't even remember if it came with one). I saw the stickies and searched around, but I just have no idea which drivers I actually need.

I guess for starters, I can't connect to the internet, and the shortcuts on the keys (FN+F2 to activate the internet connection) does not work.

Is there any way that I can download a packet or collection of files that will get my laptop to the way it was when it came out of the box? Basically an image of the startup disc that I would need, that would be the easiest for me because of my limited knowledge on computers. Otherwise, I can do the individual drivers, I just need some guidance.

Thank you so much.

EDIT: Upon further searching, I found this thread with the "disc" that I was looking for. Since I already made the thread, and the damage is done, I just want to verify this is all that I will need to have my computer back in out-of-box condition?
This thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference&high...
8 REPLIES 8

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Would you like to pursue your issue in this thread, or th other one you started?

It sounds to me like you just want a factory restore. If you did not delete the recovery partition, you can use the F9 method to perform the restore, which will restore your computer to the exact, out-of-the-box condition it was in when you first got it.

I would like to do it in this one, since those other issues are no longer a problem after clean install. I apologize for having the two, just trying to figure out how to get my computer back up and running so I can take care of my school work, so I'm frantically searching for answers!

Unfortunately, I deleted the recovery partition. I had a virus problem (which I believe caused my computer to crash), so I figured deleting every single partition would be my safest bet.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
And I assume you didn't make a set of recovery DVDs? (If you did, you can still do a factory restore with those.)

If you simply want to add the necessary drivers now, this is the basic list:

Check the hardware IDs for your WLAN and touchpad devices to confirm their manufacturers. Make sure that you are installing the appropriate drivers.

• Intel chipset 9.3.0.1019
  • Intel RST (without Intel Control Center)
  • Intel MEI 7.0.4.1197
  • nVidia graphics driver 295.73 (without unneeded components, like updater)
  • Fresco USB3.0 3.5.24.0 (plus the AsPatch)
  • Realtek HD audio 2.67
  • Touchpad (Sentelic or Synaptics, as appropriate)
  • Realtek LAN 7.050
  • Realtek Multi-card Reader 6.1.7600.10001
  • WLAN driver (Intel or Atheros, as appropriate)
  • ATK Package 1.0.0014

If you have a Driver's Disk that came with the computer, you can use that instead, but many of the drivers on it are old and/or obsolete.

Perfect, I will look into those right now, going to run a few searches.

As far as what you mentioned in the other thread, the "bloatware", I used a few of those utilities, so I am guessing that all comes from the file located in the thread from my original post?

Lazer77 wrote:
As far as what you mentioned in the other thread, the "bloatware", I used a few of those utilities, so I am guessing that all comes from the file located in the thread from my original post?

Most of them are available in the Downloads section of the G74 support page. Be careful to add those slowly and sparingly....one or more of them may well have been causing the issues you had before.

I'll send you some links to the basic drivers.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Most of them are available in the Downloads section of the G74 support page. Be careful to add those slowly and sparingly....one or more of them may well have been causing the issues you had before.

I'll send you some links to the basic drivers.

You're amazing man! I really appreciate this, I get a little hesitant when downloading these things because I am never positive if I am downloading the correct thing. So after these "basic drivers", do I need to install anything else so that it is perfect working condition, and I am free to use it how I normally would?

After the basic drivers, it'll be in perfect "clean" condition. It won't have any of the Asus add-on stuff.

Use it a bit, add a few basic things like Windows updates, your browser of choice, email client (if you use one). When you're satisfied that the installation is stable and functioning well, go ahead and start installing your other programs. Again, add Asus programs sparingly.....most just mimic Windows utilties, so they're unnecessary and they can be glitchy and poorly-written. Two are especially bad: Don't install Asus Live Update or WinFlash.

dstrakele
Level 14
Also consider making a backup of your new, clean, issue-free Windows System Image, so you can restore it if problems occur in the future that cannot be easily fixed with Windows System Restore.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT