cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH8 (WI-FI) issue with NVMe disk and video card on PCIe slots

snegir8881
Level 7
Hello , Guys.
Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

Question: why does the motherboard not allow connection at the declared speeds of these devices (video card and M2 drive)? What could be the problem - in the BIOS settings in the motherboard, or is it a issue of the motherboard itself ? What to do, why the declared device speeds on the board are not respected? The disk and video card were checked on another PC, the disk gave the declared speed of 3500 Mb / s, the video card worked on PCIe 3.0 x16 8GBit/s

1) in the programs Crystal disk info and Samsung Magician, the Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1tb disk is displayed as PCI-E 1.0x4 and in the CrystalDiskMark program the read / write speed is about 900 MB/s, which is almost 3 times less than the one declared by the manufacturer of the disk.
2) in the SiSoftware Sandra Lite program and in TechPowerUp GPU-Z, the MSI Geforce GTX-1080TI GAMING X 11G graphics card is displayed as
PCIe x16 1.1 @ 16 1.1.
In BIOS settings: in Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration PCIE16_2 Bandwidth = X8 Mode; PCIEX16_1 Mode = Auto; PCIEX16_2 Mode = Auto;
PCIEX16_3 Mode = Auto; M2_1 Link Mode = Auto; M2_2 Link Mode = Auto; SB Link = Auto.
Also under Boot / CMS (comaptible Support Module) Launch CSM = Disable.
LN2 Mode jumpers on the motherboard are rearranged in 2-3 pin with default settings.
The video card is installed in the PCIE X16 in the first upper slot, the Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1tb drive is installed in the m2_1 slot next to the processor, there are no sata disks and other devices in the system.
Seasonic TX-1000 Titanium power supply (connected to the motherboard with 2 wires 8 + 4 pin);

System Features:
Amd Ryzen 9 3950x
MSI Geforce GTX-1080TI GAMING X 11G (Driver Version 26.21.14.4274 (NVIDIA 442.74) DCH
G.skill F-3600C16D-32GTNC (CL16-19-19-39, 2 * 16GB, DDR4, 3600MHz)
NVME M2 Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1Tb;
Windows 10 64 bit,
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI)
EC Version MBEC-X570-0218,
BIOS- updated to 1302 (originally 0901).
Power supply Seasonic TX-1000 Titanium
Kraken X-62.

Thanks everyone for any help.
10 REPLIES 10

RedSector73
Level 12
(1) Sounds like you are not set up correctly. run HWinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/ and post system summary.
(2) Check your using Nvme driver from Samsung for your nvme drives https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
(3) Check your running the latest AMD chipset drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570
(4) Can you also run https://www.userbenchmark.com/ and post the url link to the results.
example https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25789765 (which is my system)

edit...
Here is the normal procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

HWinfo can check to see if done correctly, on the bottom right of the system summary, Operating System UEFI Boot (in green) & Secure Boot (in green)

3) I can't upload latest file amd chipset from official site amd because installer show 0% status of load
4) https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25821125

In BIOS setting was is: in Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration PCIE16_2 Bandwidth = X8 Mode; PCIEX16_1 Mode = Auto; PCIEX16_2 Mode = Auto; PCIEX16_3 Mode = Auto; M2_1 Link Mode = Auto; M2_2 Link Mode = Auto; SB Link = Auto.

when i've changed BIOS setting: Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration PCIEX16_1 Mode = GEN3; M2_1 Link Mode = GEN3
Crystal disk mark show 3500MB/S READ/WRITE and PCI 3x4
Video card in Sandra Lite show as PCIE 3.0 x 16

but i think it must be work properly in Auto Mode

Maybe problem in that i not correctly install windows ?

Yeah leave in AUTO mode (don't fix what is not broken).

In the BIOS you can change SB Clock Spread Spectrum in Extreme Tweaker and set to Disabled. This will get you neat 100 mhz instead of 99.98 etc.
https://imgur.com/AkwmkCh

Secure boot is the only thing missing and your score is very good in userbench. Your nvme is functioning correctly. You could just skip to step (8) and follow through (which will start secure boot). If you can't get secure boot working then might be worth reinstalling windows using the procedure.

see if this helps with amd chipset issue (has alternative download links as well)
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-chipset-driver-not-installing-fix

Hope you find this of help.

I reinstalled Windows according to the instructions above. BIOS settings: in Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration PCIE16_2 Bandwidth = X8 Mode; PCIEX16_1 Mode = Auto; PCIEX16_2 Mode = Auto; PCIEX16_3 Mode = Auto; M2_1 Link Mode = Auto; M2_2 Link Mode = Auto; SB Link = Auto.
However, in Auto mode the GPU runs on the Gen1 settings, the Samsung M.2 disk runs also on the Gen1 settings, instead of the Gen3 i need.
Reinstalling Windows did not help.

in the test programs the Samsung disk is displayed as PCI-E 1.0x4 and the read / write speed is about 900 MB/s (not 3500 MB/s)
the GPU (MSI Geforce GTX-1080TI GAMING) is displayed as PCIe x16 1.1 @ 16 1.1. (not PCIe x16 3.0. ).

The photos in the previous post were in the Gen3 manual selection mode, not Auto.

I can’t understand why the motherboard in automatic mode does not produce the necessary settings for the video card and the disk (Gen3)? so that they will work on in automatic mode in Gen3, not in Gen1? Is it really issue of the the motherboard itself? or incorrect operation of the automatic mode of BIOS? or can it be fixed somehow or is it allowed? what to do next? I'm racking my brains.

From what you wrote I can't figure out which PCIe slots are you using.
The manual is not so clear (as often happens) about PCIe sharing:

In the M2 section:

I own a CH7WF but it sounds to me the 2 boards are not so different... if you have installed your Nvme unit in the upper slot (M.2_1) try to move it to the bottom one.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Hello,
1) GPU install in PCIe x16_1 slot and display in Sandra Lite as PCIe 1.1 x16 not PCIe 3.0 x16
2) NVMe I'm install before in bottom slot m2_2 the speed was about 835Mb/s not 3500Mb/s in Crystal Disk Mark and show in Samsung Magician as PCI-E 1.0x4

Only when i've changed BIOS setting: Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration PCIEX16_1 Mode = GEN3; M2_1 Link Mode = GEN3
Crystal disk mark for NVMe show 3500MB/S READ/WRITE and PCI-E 3.0x4
GPU in Sandra Lite show as PCIE 3.0 x 16

But i don't know it's correct to set up BIOS settings manually like as(BIOS setting: Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration PCIEX16_1 Mode = GEN3; M2_1 Link Mode = GEN3) or it's must work in Auto Mode(but it's not work for me).

snegir8881 wrote:
But i don't know it's correct to set up BIOS settings manually like as(BIOS setting: Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration PCIEX16_1 Mode = GEN3; M2_1 Link Mode = GEN3) or it's must work in Auto Mode(but it's not work for me).

If you have to do this to get GEN3 then do it.
Auto should work correctly in AUTO mode and is not.
I would log this as a problem with ASUS Support and see what they come back with.
(Just remember Human malware issue will make longer than normal before for reply / fix / comment)

M2_1 is controlled by CPU x4 (CPU ZEN Generation determines GEN Pcie) (2 series cpu to GEN3, 3 series CPU to GEN4 Pcie)
M2_2 is controlled by PCH x4 (X570 Chipset supports to GEN4 Pcie)

RedSector73 wrote:
If you have to do this to get GEN3 then do it.
Auto should work correctly in AUTO mode and is not.
I would log this as a problem with ASUS Support and see what they come back with.
(Just remember Human malware issue will make longer than normal before for reply / fix / comment)

M2_1 is controlled by CPU x4 (CPU ZEN Generation determines GEN Pcie) (2 series cpu to GEN3, 3 series CPU to GEN4 Pcie)
M2_2 is controlled by PCH x4 (X570 Chipset supports to GEN4 Pcie)

So according to your experience, in CH8 motherboards it's the same using upper o lower M2 slot?
It's better to have the M2 drive controlled by the CPU or by the chipset?
With CH7 it was not the same... I'ma asking as I'm gonna move to a VIII Formula in a few days.

Last question.. in this picture:

What's the difference between "X4 (PCIe 4.0)" and "Support"?

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Top one has to be boot drive, unless array. (recent thread for that - not confirmed this myself but have no reason to doubt. I use the top one)
There the same for speed to my knowledge, unless you have say 2700x and GEN 4 M2 Nvme device, then you would want to use bottom one and then you find out can't be the boot drive... lol. Guessing this would never happen anyway, not like you buy x570 board for older CPU ZEN chip and latest tech nvme.

sata mode is supported, specifically it means if you used sata mode M2 and it takes one of the SATA drives. off memory older boards did not always support this in both slots. Most of us use M2 Nvme drive(s) so this does not matter.

Formula is the same setup. x370 was the same, your x470 is opposite (correct) for pch and cpu control which is why your asking.

Then micro boards throw this in the air and other brands as well.
Recent run with my setup https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25789765

Hope you find this of help.