ROG Member Array

Horizontal lines on my ROG GL771JW laptop

Since 2 days, I have Horizontal lines appearing on half or a quarter of my screen. I installed the graphics driver on ASUS web site (an older version that the one that was on my laptop) and there is still the same problem. Today, I connected my laptop to the TV and the display on TV is perfect. Then, I noticed that when I tap on the back of my LCD cover, these lines appear (or disappear).
    This laptop is my only computer and I absolutely need it during this crazy time with coronavirus. What should I do?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

You may have a loose or damaged ribbon cable inside the machine. If you feel comfortable working on it you could open it and check the cable. If not, then I would leave the laptop open and refrain from flexing the hinge as that could worsen the issue.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    You may have a loose or damaged ribbon cable inside the machine. If you feel comfortable working on it you could open it and check the cable. If not, then I would leave the laptop open and refrain from flexing the hinge as that could worsen the issue.
    I would like to open the screen, but when I look at youtube videos of other Asus laptops, I see people unscrewing at the 4 corners of the screen, but on my screen, I don't see any screw there. Does anyone knows how to open the screen?

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

You should look for a teardown of your specific device when attempting something like this. There can be hidden clips and wiring that can be damaged if opened wrong in modern devices. Even though I've opened a number of devices over the years I still find teardowns helpful because I can see exactly where to pry and apply pressure.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    You should look for a teardown of your specific device when attempting something like this. There can be hidden clips and wiring that can be damaged if opened wrong in modern devices. Even though I've opened a number of devices over the years I still find teardowns helpful because I can see exactly where to pry and apply pressure.
    Thank you very much! I located a teardown on left side, right side, and top side. I don't know if there is also a teardown on the bottom side. Can I fix this problem by just using these teardown and accessing the display, or do I have the disassemble first the laptop, in order to access the video cable?

Also, what part do I need to replace? just the video cable or more? Right now, I cannot use the webcam (I saw only the webcam light turning on briefly), and when there are horizontal bars, I have to press behind the lid.

ROG Member Array

I checked a video on youtube with a similar ASUS ROG laptop and I don't have the disassemble the laptop, I can just work on the display panel. Should I order the LCD cable first before starting to disassemble? or is there a chance that I can fix a twisted cable without buying anything? Can a bad LCD cable make these horizontal lines and the webcam not working (except for a few seconds sometimes)?

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

I would not buy any parts before disassembly if you can help it since you don't know exactly what is wrong. You could end up ordering something you don't need. On the other hand, having spare parts gives you something to swap out for testing in the event that there is nothing obviously wrong when you open it. For example, if you don't see a bad kink or damage then having the spare display wire to test with could help. It's just a matter of how cost vs time sensitive you are.

Moderator Array

Hello kitkat,
    Please kindly send your device to service center for proper examination and repair.
    Thank you.