cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GS Audio problem

mintsoup
Level 7
I found a few threads on this topic, but none of the solutions offered there helped me, so I'm writing a new one.
I have this audio issue where it after a few seconds of playing audio, the volume will go automatically go low. The volume in windows stays the same and I have found no way to bring it back. Here's the interesting part: I have solved this problem before, but I don't remember how. After resetting windows, the issue has come back. Here is what I have tried:
Reinstalling drivers from Asus's official page.
Installing drivers from Intel.
Using software like drivermax to have them install the drivers for me.
Disable audio enhancements, communication settings to lower all other sounds when I get a call.

I am sure this is a software problem as I have had this before and fixed it somehow, although it was over a year back and I don't exactly remember how I did it. If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know as I have been struggling with this for a few days already.
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

If you haven't seen it, some GL504GM customers seem to be discussing a similar issue at the thread below, but not sure how much it can help.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107024-GL504GM-built-in-speaker-volume-fluctuating-loud-so...

If you are interested though, new bios versions have been released yesterday (the ASUS download site will include the date when the files were posted) for both the GL504GM and GL504GS that we are hoping can help with this, but I always prefer to wait for customer feedback to be sure, so basically, no guarantee that it can help.
If you can live with the issue a bit longer, you may want to wait to see if others can provide more feedback about those bios versions since it's also possible there could be some bugs if you're a worrier like me or don't want to take any chances.

Anyway, just something to consider or keep an eye on and below is the link for the ASUS U.S. GL504GS download page.

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/GL504GS/HelpDesk_Download/

I updated the BIOS to 308 and now it seems ok. I hope it doesn't come back, will report if it does.
It's really interesting though, how could the BIOS mess up the audio? I realized it wasn't a driver problem a little after I posted this (tried ubuntu on LiveUSB, still had the same issue). What could be causing this?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Thanks for the update.
Unfortunately, not very familiar with what bios engineers can do these days, but the bios communicates with your notebook hardware and is involved with determining at which temperature your fans turn on and at what rpms among other things, so guessing it is possible the bios may also be able to control some things related to the audio and maybe speakers (by the way Windows is able to control or affect your notebook hardware more and more through the bios these days if you haven't noticed and you can even update your bios through the device manager sometimes).

Anyway, don't know a whole lot about it, so we may want to get more feedback or opinions from others.