Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy ASUS GU502GV - constant Current/EDP Limit Throttling / low FPS in VR

Hi folks,

I can't seem to find a solution / explanation for the following issues I'm experiencing on my brand-new GU502GV (RTX 2060 / i7-9750H / 16 GB RAM:

- Constant Current / EDP Limit Throttling (according to Intel XTU, no "thermal-limits" reached)
    - Very low FPS in VR (both Oculus Home / Unity / SteamVR)

I've been using the GL502VMK for more than two years, was able to run VR just fine.
    Now that I've spent nearly $2k for an RTX2060-based-system I'm pretty disappointed to say the least...

Is there some sort of a fix / workaround for these issues or am I the only one experiencing these limits on the GU502GV?

Already tried the following (but to no avail):
    - New OS-install / Driver-updates
    - BIOS-Update (307)
    - BIOS-Downgrade (306)
    - Disable Turbo Boost (ThrottleStop)

I'd appreciate any input / feedback.

Best regards & thanks in advance
    Last edited by ATLANTICA_NFS; 03-25-2020 at 08:57 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

In ThrottleStop, try raising the PP0 Current Limit as well as the IccMax current limits. Raise all of these sky high and see if it makes a difference. I would also suggest uninstalling Intel XTU.

Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    In ThrottleStop, try raising the PP0 Current Limit as well as the IccMax current limits. Raise all of these sky high and see if it makes a difference. I would also suggest uninstalling Intel XTU.
    Thank you for the info, unclewebb.

Tried to change PP0 but the "slider" would jump back to "48".
    Rised IccMax to the maximum.

Even though thermals seem to be OK, I'm still getting the following info:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	84385

Anything else I could try?

Thanks again & best regards

I might just have found the actual bottleneck regarding VR-performance...
    As the Rift S comes w/ DisplayPort (MiniDP-Adapter) only, I'm using a USB-C to DP-adapter.

Checked NVIDIA Control Panel a minute ago:

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	84388

I assume the USB-C-port is "hard-wired" to the Intel-Graphics-Chipset, not the RTX 2060, hence the render-lags?
    Would someone know / be able to confirm this?
    Last edited by ATLANTICA_NFS; 03-26-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by ATLANTICA_NFS View Post
    I might just have found the actual bottleneck regarding VR-performance...
    As the Rift S comes w/ DisplayPort (MiniDP-Adapter) only, I'm using a USB-C to DP-adapter.

Checked NVIDIA Control Panel a minute ago:

Views:	59 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	84388

I assume the USB-C-port is "hard-wired" to the Intel-Graphics-Chipset, not the RTX 2060, hence the render-lags?
    Would someone know / be able to confirm this?
    Is your screenshot above showing just the notebook screen with no external monitors connected and can you check or provide another screenshot when the RIft S is connected through the type-C output?

You can also connect an external monitor through the type-C connection and check the information in the Nvidia display properties as well as Intel display properties to see which graphics chip it's connected to.

If you find any of the display outputs are hardwired to Intel graphics and want to go through the trouble of running a benchmark, compare the scores to get more confirmation that different graphics chips are being utilitized, but the screenshot above seems to indicate that both the HDMI output and display port/type-C output are running off the Nvidia graphics, so want to make sure you checked this thoroughly.

===========================

Expecting your HDMI output is hardwired to the Nvidia graphics though (and hopefully your type C display output, but your feedback seems to indicate this is not the case although would like to get more confirmation of this from you), so check this too (you should notice your HDMI monitor doesn't appear under the Intel graphics settings, but appears under the Nvidia display settings).
    Last edited by cl-Albert@ROG; 03-27-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    Is your screenshot above showing just the notebook screen with no external monitors connected and can you check or provide another screenshot when the RIft S is connected through the type-C output?

You can also connect an external monitor through the type-C connection and check the information in the Nvidia display properties as well as Intel display properties to see which graphics chip it's connected to.

If you find any of the display outputs are hardwired to Intel graphics and want to go through the trouble of running a benchmark, compare the scores to get more confirmation that different graphics chips are being utilitized, but the screenshot above seems to indicate that both the HDMI output and display port/type-C output are running off the Nvidia graphics, so want to make sure you checked this thoroughly.

===========================

Expecting your HDMI output is hardwired to the Nvidia graphics though (and hopefully your type C display output, but your feedback seems to indicate this is not the case although would like to get more confirmation of this from you), so check this too (you should notice your HDMI monitor doesn't appear under the Intel graphics settings, but appears under the Nvidia display settings).
    Hi @cl-albert,
    Thanks a lot for your feedback - really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I can't run the proposed screen-test but I did find the following entry in device-manager:

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	84403

I guess this confirms that the USB-C / DP-port is indeed "hard-wired" to the RTX 2060 in some way (so I guess that's good news)...
    EDIT: Disabled both devices - Oculus still working. So I guess those are just "default RTX-onboard-controllers"... :-(

I'm currently trying to update / change the USB-Controller-drivers (transfer-speeds etc.), also tried different ports already (Gen1 / Gen2) but to no avail.

Best regards & thanks again!
    Last edited by ATLANTICA_NFS; 03-28-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Tried to change PP0 but the "slider" would jump back to "48".
    The PP0 Current Limit does not have a slider. What did you try and change? Post a screenshot of the TPL window.

Did you disable the C states in the BIOS? Your idle temps and package power seem very high.

Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    The PP0 Current Limit does not have a slider. What did you try and change? Post a screenshot of the TPL window.

Did you disable the C states in the BIOS? Your idle temps and package power seem very high.
    EDIT: If I set the 'PP0 Current Limit' to '160', the Limit-Alarms do go away (wouldn't notice any performance improvements, though).
    Please pardon my ignorance but I'm just wondering whether this could potentially 'brake' something?
    I assume there's some sort of a hardware-safeguard in place as well?

Hmm must've changed the PP0 Turbo Time Limit instead - apologies for the confusiion.

Haven't changed anything related to C States in the BIOS - no such feature / option available (BIOS 307).

Attached the requested TPL Window-screenshot - default values:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	84412
    Last edited by ATLANTICA_NFS; 03-29-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Good news regarding USB-C -> DP - see screenshot attached.

Views:	0 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	84416

Edit by cl-Albert 3/30/20: Hope you don't mind if I replied inside your post, but looks good and thanks for the update.
    Last edited by cl-Albert@ROG; 03-30-2020 at 04:28 PM.

If I set the 'PP0 Current Limit' to '160', the Limit-Alarms do go away
    Now you know what setting controls those EDP alarms. Most desktop boards set the current limit sky high so it does not interfere with CPU performance, ever. If setting the current limit to 160 is going to give you some sleepless nights then leave it at the default setting.

Just curious about the C states. When your computer is idle, open up the C States window in ThrottleStop. Does it show your CPU using the core C7 state or any of the package C states? On locked CPUs like the 9750H, the core C states need to be enabled so the CPU can achieve maximum performance. They also reduce power consumption and help the CPU run cooler. Many manufacturers have decided to limit the package C states. The core C states should always be available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast