cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GU502GV - constant Current/EDP Limit Throttling / low FPS in VR

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
Hi folks,

I can't seem to find a solution / explanation for the following issues I'm experiencing on my brand-new GU502GV (RTX 2060 / i7-9750H / 16 GB RAM:

- Constant Current / EDP Limit Throttling (according to Intel XTU, no "thermal-limits" reached)
- Very low FPS in VR (both Oculus Home / Unity / SteamVR)

I've been using the GL502VMK for more than two years, was able to run VR just fine.
Now that I've spent nearly $2k for an RTX2060-based-system I'm pretty disappointed to say the least...

Is there some sort of a fix / workaround for these issues or am I the only one experiencing these limits on the GU502GV?

Already tried the following (but to no avail):
- New OS-install / Driver-updates
- BIOS-Update (307)
- BIOS-Downgrade (306)
- Disable Turbo Boost (ThrottleStop)

I'd appreciate any input / feedback.

Best regards & thanks in advance
13 REPLIES 13

unclewebb
Level 10
In ThrottleStop, try raising the PP0 Current Limit as well as the IccMax current limits. Raise all of these sky high and see if it makes a difference. I would also suggest uninstalling Intel XTU.

unclewebb wrote:
In ThrottleStop, try raising the PP0 Current Limit as well as the IccMax current limits. Raise all of these sky high and see if it makes a difference. I would also suggest uninstalling Intel XTU.

Thank you for the info, unclewebb.

Tried to change PP0 but the "slider" would jump back to "48".
Rised IccMax to the maximum.

Even though thermals seem to be OK, I'm still getting the following info:

Anything else I could try?

Thanks again & best regards

ATLANTICA_NFS wrote:
Tried to change PP0 but the "slider" would jump back to "48".

The PP0 Current Limit does not have a slider. What did you try and change? Post a screenshot of the TPL window.

Did you disable the C states in the BIOS? Your idle temps and package power seem very high.

unclewebb wrote:
The PP0 Current Limit does not have a slider. What did you try and change? Post a screenshot of the TPL window.

Did you disable the C states in the BIOS? Your idle temps and package power seem very high.

EDIT: If I set the 'PP0 Current Limit' to '160', the Limit-Alarms do go away (wouldn't notice any performance improvements, though).
Please pardon my ignorance but I'm just wondering whether this could potentially 'brake' something?
I assume there's some sort of a hardware-safeguard in place as well?

Hmm must've changed the PP0 Turbo Time Limit instead - apologies for the confusiion.

Haven't changed anything related to C States in the BIOS - no such feature / option available (BIOS 307).

Attached the requested TPL Window-screenshot - default values:

ATLANTICA_NFS wrote:
If I set the 'PP0 Current Limit' to '160', the Limit-Alarms do go away

Now you know what setting controls those EDP alarms. Most desktop boards set the current limit sky high so it does not interfere with CPU performance, ever. If setting the current limit to 160 is going to give you some sleepless nights then leave it at the default setting.

Just curious about the C states. When your computer is idle, open up the C States window in ThrottleStop. Does it show your CPU using the core C7 state or any of the package C states? On locked CPUs like the 9750H, the core C states need to be enabled so the CPU can achieve maximum performance. They also reduce power consumption and help the CPU run cooler. Many manufacturers have decided to limit the package C states. The core C states should always be available.

unclewebb wrote:
Now you know what setting controls those EDP alarms. Most desktop boards set the current limit sky high so it does not interfere with CPU performance, ever. If setting the current limit to 160 is going to give you some sleepless nights then leave it at the default setting.

Just curious about the C states. When your computer is idle, open up the C States window in ThrottleStop. Does it show your CPU using the core C7 state or any of the package C states? On locked CPUs like the 9750H, the core C states need to be enabled so the CPU can achieve maximum performance. They also reduce power consumption and help the CPU run cooler. Many manufacturers have decided to limit the package C states. The core C states should always be available.

Thanks for the feedback!
See screenshot attached regarding C-States:

Best regards & thanks again!

unclewebb wrote:

Throttlestop works great on these machines IF you enable the undervolting in the BIOS and set it to -80. Throttlestops lets all 6 cores boost to 4ghz forever!

Another thing to check, don't use any USB C /Thunderbolt connections that supply power to your laptop. For some reason, your laptop will ignore the 230w brick and use the 65w USB C port instead. When on USB c power, once the CPU hits a certain temperature, the BIOS uses dynamic current limiting (if that's what it's called) to throttle the CPU.

Unplugging the 230w brick from the laptop is not enough to force the laptop over, you need to unplug it from the wall to reset it. Idk why.

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
I might just have found the actual bottleneck regarding VR-performance...
As the Rift S comes w/ DisplayPort (MiniDP-Adapter) only, I'm using a USB-C to DP-adapter.

Checked NVIDIA Control Panel a minute ago:

I assume the USB-C-port is "hard-wired" to the Intel-Graphics-Chipset, not the RTX 2060, hence the render-lags?
Would someone know / be able to confirm this?