cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router upgrade question - GT-AC5300 - SSH

namger3k20
Level 7
Greetings,

I'm looking to upgrade my main router (Buffalo WZR-600HP) and considering the GT-AC5300. Going by the specs on this thing it's obviously a Beast and more power than I really need but I like the idea of being future proof (at least 5 yrs)...and I'm a huge geek :). My current Buffalo router has DD-WRT and I also put it on my Linksys E1200 and configured it as a "Repeater Bridge" and they've both worked great for my needs, but they're now getting a little dated and my mobile devices are AC ready.

My question about the GT-AC5300 is:

Is SSH (secure shell) an available option to administer the GT-AC5300 over a LAN ?

I've only seen a few references to this while researching. I noticed on the Asuswrt-Merlin page that SSH access was first featured in Merlin FW and since added to the main-line firmware but wasn't sure if that included the GT-AC5300 and a few have commented on Amazon about it being available. The manual mentions Telnet but that's old and unsecure.

Other features I'm looking for include:

Connecting to external VPN services
Setting up custom reboot scripts (cron etc.)
Guest Network (appears to be included)
JFFS support (for storing custom scripts)

Anyway, I basically looking for similar customization and configuration options that DD-WRT brings, but concerned about stability and performance issues that others are reporting with routers I was looking at (e.g. Linksys WRT-AC3200). I'm also looking at the RT-AC5300 as an alternative.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Any information provided would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Namger3k20
2 REPLIES 2

raju2529
Level 7
I cant give guarantee router gives performance and stability for five years. But with normal settings you can use for many years but security will be discarded.
Because the technology is developing every day. So updating of protocols and better speed, more powerfull may come in future say in next month might be.
Buying of new router is your decision in this regard.
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529,

Understood. Do you know if SSH works?

Thanks,
Namger3k20