Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You did it !!

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

We're changing servers at the end of next week. I didn't actually do anything but poke the webteam, who are right now propping it up hour by hour. Hopefully by the last week of this month everything is strawberries and waffles.

Shut Up Stupid! Array DaemonCantor's Avatar

I could imagine that happening but...I also see another side to it as well, vB software is CRAP! almost as bad as AI Suite II...But that's for the Masters to work out! My only hope is that one day Asus will wake from it's slumber and really start supporting R. O. G. It's not just the people that own it but all things that go with it as well, Like this Forum, the Drivers, Tech Support and so on. I hate to say it But maybe they should look at EVGA and take a hint or two. They have world Class Tech support, an Exclusive section on the Forums for Black Edition Owners, Exclusive Merchandise, and all kinds of other little Doo hickies and things for their Customers that pay the BIG DOLLAR for the BEST they have to OFFER!

BTW Marshall Thank to for getting this back up! I was sure that your staff was in the KILL mode and almost had given up on the ROG forums.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Area 66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    We're changing servers at the end of next week. I didn't actually do anything but poke the webteam, who are right now propping it up hour by hour. .

Good one!...ROFL!

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    . Hopefully by the last week of this month everything is strawberries and waffles.
    You need Canadian Mapple Syrop too..... ( this tread make me eat more )

Last edited by Area 66; 03-14-2012 at 01:38 PM.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonCantor View Post
    vB software is CRAP!
    You keep saying this but I've seen plenty of vb forums that were stable. Whatever has been happening to our forum isn't as a result of a software bug in the stock release.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

I'm still experiencing the same error, time to time for a short period

Yes I do, considering that I could go through a list of about 100 forums that switched including my own and yes I was paying for the software just as this forum is vB isn't free as you know, you do have to pay for it. I myself prefer to have Open Source written in php or C++ but there are very few of those around and because of that they do tend to be a LOT better and have a lot more support from a community. I thought you would have know all of this xero considering your expertise. I'll give you one thing, the locations using vB are mostly larger businesses and number in only the hundreds where as the Open Sources Forums number in the Thousands.

xeromist, no I'm not trying to put you down or anything but please quit trying to treat me like a n00b considering like yourself I'm also an experienced Tech and I do respect you and your comments.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

No, you're not a noob and that's not what I'm saying. You're an experienced guy who has an especially noticeable grudge against vb. People in IS/IT(myself included) often have the mentality to tear things out when they are perceived less than optimal but often the best _business_ descision is to make the existing system work better. The point I'm making is that vb works fine when installed and configured properly so the problems we're having aren't due to any inherent software bug. I'd rather see ASUS get the existing forum working than to tear it out and start over. We've been there and it's no fun.

------------------------------
    Incidentally I saw the exact opposite of your experiences happen so it's not completely cut & dry. I was part of a community (no longer exists) who had an older PHPbb that was getting long in the tooth. We considered upgrading but decided to also review other options as well. One guy was hot for SMF so he set up a test box. It was ugly and several things didn't work. That's not to say that it can't be made streamlined or that recent versions aren't better, but it's not magic. We looked at a few other free options but saw some of the existing modules available for vb, support from a business interested in keeping customers happy, and since it really didn't cost that much we decided to give it a try. It worked...out of the box. People were happy (except for the guy that wanted SMF).
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

True, I see your point, I'm not all that happy with most of them but PHPbb was pretty good except when it came to security and also the reason I supported smF. As you say none of them are really great and yes it would be a major undertaking to change. I can see the future isn't too bright for these forums unless someone takes up the Programming challenge and fixes whatever bugs do exist whether it's in the Software or the Database doesn't matter it just needs to be addressed and taken care of. My grudge is that I spent around $4000 over the period of 2 years on vB only to switch to a Free base that actually worked. Yes I was understandably upset trying to run a forum for my customers that cost me an arm and a leg just to find out that a free solution was better than a Paid Contract. Eventually with help from some of my customers I did get a totally custom forum built and it lasted for almost 5 years without hardly any problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast