cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQ black screen @ 144hz

TobesEtc
Level 7
I have an ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQ connected to an Asus GeForce RTX 2070 ROG STRIX OC 8GB Graphics Card by a 4m long VESA Certified Club3D CAC-1069 DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 Cable DP 1.4 8K 60Hz, 24AWG cable. Drivers up to date in GEForce Experience. Updated GPU driver in Device Manager (Uninstalled & Reinstalled).

Previously, with a LINDY 36304 DisplayPort 1.4 Cable Cromo Line 5m it used to "black screen" quite regularly. Lindy tell me that's because, at that length, the cable is actually a 1.2, not 1.4. So, switched to the VESA cable (better cable, 1m shorter and 1.4 certified) and now it only does it when set to 144hz and switching from playing the new Control Foundation DLC in DLSS 2.0 (2560x1440) to the Windows Desktop (in 4K). Doesn't do it when playing, or on the desktop - just as you switch for a couple of secs. Doesn't crash. DLSS doesn't allow above 1440, for me anyway.

Drop the Refresh to 120hz and it's fine. Does this indicate that the DSC isn't functioning (which should lift a DP 1.4 max refresh up to the 144hz mark) or is it indicative that, despite the VESA Certification, 4m is just too long for DP1.4? (Physically, the pc is that length from the screen... don't ask!)

NVidea Control Panel shows 3840x2160 (native) @ 120Hz (works) or 144Hz (black screens). Is there somewhere to turn on DSC? G-Sync (Compatible) enabled for Windowed & Full Screen. All this config done with no other monitor connected.

W10-64 up to date. Asus Prime Z390-A (latest bios), i9-9900K, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB, M.2 970 Evo.

I bet I missed the one bit of info you need....?

Ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

DataGuy665
Level 7
I'm experiencing the exact same issue, have searched high and low looking for a solution and nothing. Anyone have any insight?

Ok. First try connecting your monitor with the display port cable that is 1 metre in length and 1.4 specification. I figured that your case is far away but you will need to test it this way to find out because of these stupid cables they make nowadays. Yes it's true what you say in terms of length. I heard that also applies to ethernet cables.
If this doesn't work then I read somewhere on Acer's website that you might need to connect both display ports to the video card. It works like that for their monitors and 4K setup as well. Test it out. Other than that, I don't know why it's acting like that. In the manual at the last page, Asus is asking the user to contact the graphics card manufacture directly if the DSC isn't working. Maybe Nvidia will know? Possibly a fix or something? Anyhow, I hope that minimizing the length of the display port will make a huge difference for you.

Have tried all of that. Even bought short / best quality cable possible as well as the stock one that came with it. Have even tried setting it to 120hz, same thing. This is a new monitor, yet a lot of people seem to be having the same issue.

​Ok dude, I have recently purchased an MSi monitor. I was having minor problems while setting up the connection with DP. First, I plugged in my DP cable to the monitor and then to the video card. No signal, blank screen. I thought that maybe I have to adjust the input source while using HDMI, so I changed it and still the same outcome. I decided to plug in my HDMI cable and then DP cable. I got a signal through the HDMI port and Windows loaded. Inside Nvidia Control Panel now I noticed 2 options. I can change the monitor's input source. Finally, I got my DP connection going.

Still the exact same issue. I have a 1080ti, so hoping a 3-series card will help, but not holding my breath. Is it normal for no one from ROG to respond to these issues? It seems a bunch of people have the same problem if you Google it, but nothing even hinting at a solution.

Any help at all on this?

Hey, I'm having this exact same issue with a brand new XG279Q 27". I also note it will come back if I turn the screen off and back on, and if I tap one of the menu buttons on the side of the screen the image comes back immediately. It's like monitor has decided the image is dark, and doesn't refresh it until it gets new input. I'd really prefer to stop this from happening, though.

omarras
Level 7
Having the same issues but only when i load into a game. not in the menus, not on the interwebs, just while gaming. tried new cables, no help with dropping to 120hz.

EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra, xg27uq, 750watt corsair vengeance psu. It was happening in heroes of the storm when V-sync was turned on, turned off v-sync and the random flickering went away (g-sync on at 144hz). Now I only get the black screen for a few seconds when alt-tabbing, doesn't matter if g-sync is on or off and all problems are resolved when I put it into 120hz.

Is this a problem with DSC?