cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus 5 Gene Preview/Review 8 Pack style

8_Pack
Level 12
Hey all. Over the next few weeks I am gonna be previewing, reviewing and generally having a good time (thrashing) seeing what the new Maximus 5 Gene Z77 chipset board can do. I will be building on this post nearly everyday adding new information and benchmarks as I go. All forum members please do chip in and ask for any tests you want to see. Iniially I will be showing this Z77 chipset based board with current CPU's and as soon as NDA is over with new CPU technology. I am pleaaed to say evan with current CPU's this board has pushed my limits up interms of both mhz and timings on both RAM and CPU. Its amazingly good at clocking 4 DIMM configuations a problem with previous chipset 1155 boards. Most of the testing I have done so far with the board has been with the new gen CPU's and only a couple of hours thus far have been spent on past gen. I will endeavour to add benchmark results for the current generation CPU's namely 2600K / 2700K ASAP. Bios updates by the day are keeping me busy with further testing, but each one is yielding better and better clocking, stability and performance results. Thanks to Shamino for his excellent work with this and the support he has offered me.

Common componnents Used for all testing:
M5G (various Bios)
Antec HCP 1200w PSU
GSkill RAM 16gb (4x4gb) currently 2133mhz 9-11-10-28 2T Kit with higher rated stuff on the way!!!!
2 x ASUS 7970 watercooled with Koolance blocks in Xfire
120gb Corsair GT SSD
EK and Koolance CPU waterblocks (Thanks to Specialtech.co.uk for supplying the watercooling!!!!)
Water Chiller set to 16C so as to give results that others could replicate.
Cascade -125 degrees cooling to come later!!!!! ( When if I break anything I have completed all the other tests I want to do, its been a while) LOL!!!!!!!!

Ok lets start with some pics of the board its self:

Shot at 2012-03-13

IO Panel, USB3, On CPU VGA out, Audio, ROG connect etc etc Standard IO from ASUS!!!!

Chipset Heat SInk, SATA Ports 4 Intel Ports 2 are 6gb, 2 ASmedia both are 6 Gb, 24 Pin Power, Go Button, LN2 Jumper!!! Again familiar but essential ROG stuff!!!

Robust VRM heatsink, that I must say does not get too hot at all evan with high power delivery!!!

ASUS 7970 Crossfire,, Standard 2 slot spacing.

Power and Reset are easy to reach at the base of the board along with standard USB and Audio headers

Comprehensive Pics of the extensive overclocking settings within Bios will be up next!!!!!!! This Bios is a system and memory tweakers heaven!!!

Watch this space!!!
56 REPLIES 56

8_Pack
Level 12
Familiar??? It should be if your a ROG UEFI user of the recent past.

Extensive Voltage Control!!!

Further Voltage tweaks and Essential skew setting for BLK clocking!!! also the BLK recovery setting which means if you push the BLK to far and the system wont boot teh bios automatically recovers the system by returning BLK to 100.0!!!

Digi Power Sub menu.

More memory tweaking options than ever seen before!!! High clocks and high performance its all in here!!!

There is also many more RAM preset timings for different IC's and configurations of RAM. All the popular clockers RAM is covered. I will post this sub menu when I get home from work. Your RAM is covered not only do you have the XMP but a great performance or overclocking profile too!!

8_Pack
Level 12
Here we go then more presets than ever and they are sooooooooo useful I pulled out some old sticks of tight timings stuff for some benchies and the profile worked flawlessly staable and very very fast. Maybe more of this type of presets on R4E please Shamino.

Spathi
Level 9
Thanks for the pics. Looks like they fixed VccIO and VccSA.

8_Pack
Level 12
Fixed??? Well if a past problem existed its not exhibiting it in this board the rails are very stable and Bios settings show correct in any hardware monitoring programme used. This board clocks memory like nothing before it and with low VCCIO.

Spathi
Level 9
Last Gene board used a shared SA/IO. It does not cause problems according to ASUS but it was against Intels design rule.

Gene-Z 4 is OK for me as I can safely set SA/IO to 0.93V with 1.25V memory ;oP, but most people are stuck here.

I don't think it is a big deal though.

With Ivy and its larger cache that V board will cane with fast memory.

Spathi wrote:
Last Gene board used a shared SA/IO. It does not cause problems according to ASUS but it was against Intels design rule.

Gene-Z 4 is OK for me as I can safely set SA/IO to 0.93V with 1.25V memory ;oP, but most people are stuck here.

I don't think it is a big deal though.

With Ivy and its larger cache that V board will cane with fast memory.

Oh OKJ!!!

Well yes the adjustment on here is defo seperate and very stable. The digi power is excellent on all rails of my sample.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Very nice my friend thanks for the share.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

8_Pack
Level 12
I have more results coming very soon guys with this gen CPU's. loving this board.

Area_66
Level 11
Nice to see more infor about this board, keep the good work, It's a i7-2600k in the test ? I can't find it ( aside of the turbo-mode 3800 )