Hybrid View

ROG Member Array

ROG Strix x99 shuts down immediately on power

So I have a 3 years Asus strix x99 board. Been running solid since I got it. Turned off on it's own and when I powered on again, It powers for maybe 1 second or less and shuts back off no beeps. LEDs are on. At most you might see see codes 00, 14 then off super fast.

So far I have done the following:
    Pulled power supply and tested every pin - all seems good
    Pulled everything besides the CPU and board
    I was able to do a Flashback bios update with the back panel, blinked appropriately while doing it.
    New CMOS battery, also shorted pins.

Any ideas?

Edit Update: I pulled the CPU and fans. Turning on the motherboard by itself, it stays on atleast! But with a 00 code. Which I think is normal with no CPU? Does that really tell me anything though? I don't have another CPU or motherboard to test them individually.

Board - Asus ROG Strix x99
    Memory - Corsair Vengeance 64GB
    Power - EVGA Superova 850 G2
    Video - Asus Strix 1080GT
    CPU - Intel i7-6800K
    Last edited by gatorNic; 03-29-2020 at 01:07 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array xkm121 PC Specs
    xkm121 PC Specs
    MotherboardSabertooth X99
    Processor5820K
    Memory (part number)ADATA 32GB DDR4-2800
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 FuryX

Quote Originally Posted by gatorNic View Post
    So I have a 3 years Asus strix x99 board. Been running solid since I got it. Turned off on it's own and when I powered on again, It powers for maybe 1 second or less and shuts back off no beeps. LEDs are on. At most you might see see codes 00, 14 then off super fast.

So far I have done the following:
    Pulled power supply and tested every pin - all seems good
    Pulled everything besides the CPU and board
    I was able to do a Flashback bios update with the back panel, blinked appropriately while doing it.
    New CMOS battery, also shorted pins.

Any ideas?

Edit Update: I pulled the CPU and fans. Turning on the motherboard by itself, it stays on atleast! But with a 00 code. Which I think is normal with no CPU? Does that really tell me anything though? I don't have another CPU or motherboard to test them individually.

Board - Asus ROG Strix x99
    Memory - Corsair Vengeance 64GB
    Power - EVGA Superova 850 G2
    Video - Asus Strix 1080GT
    CPU - Intel i7-6800K

Hate to break it to you. QCode 00 usually means either your CPU or Mobo has gone Bye~bye. It is a fairly common problem for X99 systems: X99 sudden death syndrome.

Did you overclock your CPU cache? What was the voltage you set for your overclocking?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by xkm121 View Post
    Hate to break it to you. QCode 00 usually means either your CPU or Mobo has gone Bye~bye. It is a fairly common problem for X99 systems: X99 sudden death syndrome.
    So I finally got it working again. After I had pulled the CPU, checked the pins, it still wasn't working. I was already researching replacement parts.

The next day on a whim I ended up pulling the battery again, leaving it out for 30 mins, and flashing the bios a second time. This time it booted! Best I can guess is the bios was corrupted and the first flash just didn't take, even though it blinked appropriately on flash. The crazy thing is flashing a new bios was the first thing I tried to do to remedy it.

Hard to say why it became corrupted in the first place. Computer was just running, has a battery backup so no power cut offs. Only have a slight overclock, but it's had the same settings running for 3 years. Who knows, just glad to have it back.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ThrashZone PC Specs
    ThrashZone PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS z490 maximus XII Apex 2nd x299 Rampage VI Apex
    Processori9-10900k & i9-9940x
    Memory (part number)Trident-Z 3600c16 2nd Trident-Z 3600C16 both Samsung B-Dies
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1080ti FTW3 water block 2nd Titan Xp copper water block
    MonitorAOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz & ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
    Storage #12-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2 & 2.5" ssd's 850 pro's for os 850 evo for games
    Storage #22-LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
    CPU Cooler2-240GTX with Heatkiller-4-Pro/ vrm water block Both&x299 2-280GTX 2-D5's before and after rads
    Case2- Corsair 450D with second floors for 240GTX & 280GTX rads enclosed and filtered on top
    Power SupplyEVGA 1000P2 2nd EVGA 1200P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum 2nd Logitech G710+
    Mouse 2-Red dragon Perdition
    OS Win-7 & win-10 pro on both systems Win-7 everyday os
    Accessory #1 Optimus Foundation copper plexi 2nd Optimus SigV2
    Accessory #2 ModmyMods clear coolant
    Accessory #3 ModMyMods 3/8-5/8" clear soft tubing/ MORA 360 Pro x2

Hi,
    Could just be a simple bad connection.
    Recheck cpu power line if it ever happens again 00 is really no cpu detected.