cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix x99 shuts down immediately on power

gatorNic
Level 7
So I have a 3 years Asus strix x99 board. Been running solid since I got it. Turned off on it's own and when I powered on again, It powers for maybe 1 second or less and shuts back off no beeps. LEDs are on. At most you might see see codes 00, 14 then off super fast.

So far I have done the following:
Pulled power supply and tested every pin - all seems good
Pulled everything besides the CPU and board
I was able to do a Flashback bios update with the back panel, blinked appropriately while doing it.
New CMOS battery, also shorted pins.

Any ideas?

Edit Update: I pulled the CPU and fans. Turning on the motherboard by itself, it stays on atleast! But with a 00 code. Which I think is normal with no CPU? Does that really tell me anything though? I don't have another CPU or motherboard to test them individually.

Board - Asus ROG Strix x99
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 64GB
Power - EVGA Superova 850 G2
Video - Asus Strix 1080GT
CPU - Intel i7-6800K
3 REPLIES 3

xkm121
Level 7
gatorNic wrote:
So I have a 3 years Asus strix x99 board. Been running solid since I got it. Turned off on it's own and when I powered on again, It powers for maybe 1 second or less and shuts back off no beeps. LEDs are on. At most you might see see codes 00, 14 then off super fast.

So far I have done the following:
Pulled power supply and tested every pin - all seems good
Pulled everything besides the CPU and board
I was able to do a Flashback bios update with the back panel, blinked appropriately while doing it.
New CMOS battery, also shorted pins.

Any ideas?

Edit Update: I pulled the CPU and fans. Turning on the motherboard by itself, it stays on atleast! But with a 00 code. Which I think is normal with no CPU? Does that really tell me anything though? I don't have another CPU or motherboard to test them individually.

Board - Asus ROG Strix x99
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 64GB
Power - EVGA Superova 850 G2
Video - Asus Strix 1080GT
CPU - Intel i7-6800K

Hate to break it to you. QCode 00 usually means either your CPU or Mobo has gone Bye~bye. It is a fairly common problem for X99 systems: X99 sudden death syndrome.

Did you overclock your CPU cache? What was the voltage you set for your overclocking?

xkm121 wrote:
Hate to break it to you. QCode 00 usually means either your CPU or Mobo has gone Bye~bye. It is a fairly common problem for X99 systems: X99 sudden death syndrome.

So I finally got it working again. After I had pulled the CPU, checked the pins, it still wasn't working. I was already researching replacement parts.

The next day on a whim I ended up pulling the battery again, leaving it out for 30 mins, and flashing the bios a second time. This time it booted! Best I can guess is the bios was corrupted and the first flash just didn't take, even though it blinked appropriately on flash. The crazy thing is flashing a new bios was the first thing I tried to do to remedy it.

Hard to say why it became corrupted in the first place. Computer was just running, has a battery backup so no power cut offs. Only have a slight overclock, but it's had the same settings running for 3 years. Who knows, just glad to have it back.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Could just be a simple bad connection.
Recheck cpu power line if it ever happens again 00 is really no cpu detected.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]