cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 2080 TI OC fans acting wierd

arkantos91
Level 7
Hi, I've bought my Asus Rog Strix 2080TI OC ( https://www.asus.com/it/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING/ ) from Amazon back in July 2019 and so far I didn't have any issues with it.

However last week I'm starting to notice something wierd happening. When I'm playing games like Apex, PUBG or Warzone sometimes the fans ramp up noticeably for a few seconds making A LOT of noise and then go back to their normal speed while usually gaming (around 60% fan speed iirc). This thing here repeats itself very often while gaming.

I'm sure it's the gpu because using hw monitor I've seen that the fans hit over 3000 rpm in these few seconds and then go back to their normal speed around 2000/2500 rpm.

According to my tests with Afterburner, to reach > 3000 rpm fan speed is well over 80% speed!

Now I'm worried there could be some issues since I've never had this gpu showing this behaviour, ESPECIALLY considering room temperature now it's mild at best and this fan behaviour didn't happen AT ALL in summer where in my room temperatures get +10° C of what it is now.

In summer my room temperature reaches over 30° C... I wonder what will the fans do then lol?

Please note I highly doubt it's a dust buildup issue given the card is new (not even 1 year of life) and my case is pretty big and ventilated (Thermaltake X5 with Noctua NF A-20 as intake). Also the case is on my desk so even less dust gets inside.

Also found this thread here with folks complaining about an issue with striking resemblance to mine which is very concerning https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?110627-ROG-Strix-2080-Ti-OC-broken-fan-behavior

What do you think? Should I ask for refund like these guys did? I don't want to find myself with a dead gpu in a few months.
26 REPLIES 26

kai2020
Level 7
I'm having the same problem.

Since a few weeks ago the card started to go 100% on one fan when temps are >74C. That's a problem that bypasses any external fan control including trying to use a fixed value in MSI afterburner. The problem is recent, it wasn't present last summer where I certainly got temps on the 75C-80C range while on heavy load

I have read that it could be related to thermal paste not being applied homogeneously over the chip, and that the fan speed increase is hardcoded in the BIOS for temps > 85C, so people having this problem at 72,75,78, etc.. could be having problems with part of the chip having a higher temp that recorded.

Some people got rid of the problem reapplying the thermal paste, but I don't want to void the warranty (And I'm quite clumsy at those kind of things TBH)

On top of that I've started to have problems with coil whine, something that didn't happen before

In this forums it was suggested that the best solution was RMA-ing the card:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?110627-ROG-Strix-2080-Ti-OC-broken-fan-behavior/page2

But I wanted to know if there's another solution, considering that I'm not even sure when it woill be possilbe for me to send the card due to the pandemic restrictions, much less when I will get the new card back.

Any help would be appreciated.

I highly doubt we'll get any help at this point since my original post is 10 days old by now.

A bunch of people seems to have solved the issue by re applying thermal paste.

If there are no seals then it should mean we're able to do that without voiding warranty.

It seems like often very cheap thermal paste is used by manufacturers.

Probably it's so low quality it already dried off in less than a year.

Can anyone please confirm we can do that without voiding warranty? Otherwise I'll do rma right away!

EDIT: I checked on my gpu and it has a white sticker on one of the screws... so this means we cannot change thermal paste without removing it. Now, those stickers have been declared ILLEGAL in the US, but I'm in Europe so I need to know if I can remove it or if doing so will result in my warranty being invalidated by Asus

kai2020 wrote:
I'm having the same problem.

Since a few weeks ago the card started to go 100% on one fan when temps are >74C. That's a problem that bypasses any external fan control including trying to use a fixed value in MSI afterburner. The problem is recent, it wasn't present last summer where I certainly got temps on the 75C-80C range while on heavy load

I have read that it could be related to thermal paste not being applied homogeneously over the chip, and that the fan speed increase is hardcoded in the BIOS for temps > 85C, so people having this problem at 72,75,78, etc.. could be having problems with part of the chip having a higher temp that recorded.

Some people got rid of the problem reapplying the thermal paste, but I don't want to void the warranty (And I'm quite clumsy at those kind of things TBH)

On top of that I've started to have problems with coil whine, something that didn't happen before

In this forums it was suggested that the best solution was RMA-ing the card:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?110627-ROG-Strix-2080-Ti-OC-broken-fan-behavior/page2

But I wanted to know if there's another solution, considering that I'm not even sure when it woill be possilbe for me to send the card due to the pandemic restrictions, much less when I will get the new card back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sell your stuff dude... I bought a nASUS gaming laptop 4 month ago... the product came damaged and since the day 1 it got error CODE 43 on the GPU yes the card is fried... besides that the mic port and Hdmi port arent working so I cant even talk to my boss or have online classes properly... The store told me that they would help me after this covid 19 problem so I decided to talk to ASUS it self... guess what? I never had a warranty... their warrranty is fake... its indeed a scam... I wish I have more money so i can sue them but I dont. The laptop costed me $1600... ASUS told me that I will have to pay for the repairs... i have to pay for the damaged **** that they sold me? WTF! WTF! WTF! This **** ass laptop cant even run photoshop properly without the the GPU.. this $1600 laptop is worth less than $800 and I will be lucky If i able to sell it so i can get some of my money back... ASUS are scammers!! **** them!! I hope the they go to prison and die because they deserve to pay for this ****!

porrado wrote:
Sell your stuff dude... I bought a nASUS gaming laptop 4 month ago... the product came damaged and since the day 1 it got error CODE 43 on the GPU yes the card is fried... besides that the mic port and Hdmi port arent working so I cant even talk to my boss or have online classes properly... The store told me that they would help me after this covid 19 problem so I decided to talk to ASUS it self... guess what? I never had a warranty... their warrranty is fake... its indeed a scam... I wish I have more money so i can sue them but I dont. The laptop costed me $1600... ASUS told me that I will have to pay for the repairs... i have to pay for the damaged **** that they sold me? WTF! WTF! WTF! This **** ass laptop cant even run photoshop properly without the the GPU.. this $1600 laptop is worth less than $800 and I will be lucky If i able to sell it so i can get some of my money back... ASUS are scammers!! **** them!! I hope the they go to prison and die because they deserve to pay for this ****!

So you're saying Asus are scammers but then at the sime time you're suggesting him to sell his faulty gpu to others.... that's also a scam you know that right?

Sydneyblue
Level 7
What are the temps in game when this happens ? I have 2080ti non oc version and using MSI afterburner i max out the power limit and temp limit so i get more stable clock plus i use a custom fan curve. This card dumps all kinds of heat i cant even have my side panel open. The only card i knew to dump this kind of heat is 980ti EVGA Classy

Sydneyblue wrote:
What are the temps in game when this happens ? I have 2080ti non oc version and using MSI afterburner i max out the power limit and temp limit so i get more stable clock plus i use a custom fan curve. This card dumps all kinds of heat i cant even have my side panel open. The only card i knew to dump this kind of heat is 980ti EVGA Classy

Thanks for answering.

As I said as soon as gpu temps are over 70/71° the fans go crazy with bursts in speed WELL over 3000 rpm.

I'm not doing any kind of OC nor I use a custom fan curve.

I'm not sure I understood what you said about having the side panel open, but that's not something that should be considered normal and acceptable if you ask me.

For me it was 75C, and it ignored custom fan curves or fixed speeds set on MSI Afterburner

However I've had some succes with pushing the card up. It seems that the problem in my case might not be that the thermal paste dried, it seems more like the weight is separating the cooler from the board a little, maybe the thermal paste layer is thinner on some part and that's enough to cause problems. Pushing it up with my hand let me go to 78 before fans went crazy.

After that, I used some spare case parts to keep pushing the card up, set a low fan speed to force temps up, fired up furmark and took it to 84C without incidents so it's OK for now.

You could try if that's your case too, it's a huge card, even by custom cooler card stardards, and it seems to haave some problems keeping itself together

kai2020 wrote:
You could try if that's your case too, it's a huge card, even by custom cooler card stardards, and it seems to haave some problems keeping itself together

My motherboard is placed horizontally so there is no weight issues for me.

Bro why are you letting your gpu get so hot ? This is a 1200 dollar graphics card. I think your being a bit blind to the situation. The card is getting to hot you are losing all the boost clock. Leaving the side panel off will help because clearly air flow is a problem. The other guy said repaste which imo is a good idea just to make sure nothing changed. I really dont care if you burn you card out or not. im just telling you what i know to be true. Heat kills cards. you need to get you head out of the idea that everything should be perfect

I agree. I would get worried even if it reaches only 75°, let alone 80 or more.

Repaste is not an option until someone from Asus confirms it can be done without voiding the warranty since there is a sticker on one of the screws preventing opening the card.

As you said it is a 1200 dollar gpu, so I won't risk losing my warranty trying to fix it in case they've used crappy thermal paste. The fact that we can't do simple maintenance like replacing thermal paste without risking RMA rejection it's ridicolous. Also having to replace thermal paste after way less than a year (in my case 8 months) it's shameful.

Sydneyblue
Level 7
Bro why are you letting your gpu get so hot ? This is a 1200 dollar graphics card. I think your being a bit blind to the situation. The card is getting to hot you are losing all the boost clock. Leaving the side panel off will help because clearly air flow is a problem. The other guy said repaste which imo is a good idea just to make sure nothing changed. I really dont care if you burn you card out or not. im just telling you what i know to be true. Heat kills cards. you need to get you head out of the idea that everything should be perfect