cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fan control with mobo

peter_tron
Level 7
hey!

got a hero maximus VIII mobo in a NZXT H440 case.

the case came with 3x120mm fans in the front and 1x140mm in the back.

here goes:

how do i turn off the case fans?

in the mobo bios, qfan control says 'fan off' in the options for the three front fans but it is greyed out?

i want to have TWO options, if possible.

one profile for browsing and watching videos, so i don't really need four case fans on the go, as even they intrude on videos playing quitely at night.

a second profile with all the four fans on for gaming!

how do i go about this?

i'll probably need to give morte information, so please feel free to ask me more questions 😉
6 REPLIES 6

peter_tron
Level 7
can anyone give me some advice please, i'm not sure what to do?

please, can someone please help?

Hello Peter,

You can use AI suite III from Asus. It allows you to control all your fans.
You can find it on the support page of the crosshair hero VIII

thank you for responding,

i'll check that out 🙂

i tried it, but there didn't seem to be any mention of the three front fans when i performed a fan test?

someone said they are probably built into the case, so i need CAM (NZXT software).

i tried THAT, STILL no mention of any extra cooling devices, apart from the cpu fan!

feels like e bloody x-file, how're they going round on their own?

Yep! Fan hub controller on computer case (BIOS only sees one fan), where the left white connector is plugged into controls all the fans.

Therefore, remove the connector to the fan hub white connector and disconnect 12-volt Molex power connector from your FAN hub circuit board, because you do not need it (Save in case you want to sell Computer Case later).

Follow the wires from your fans!

Plug the rear fan header into CHA_FAN1 on your motherboard.
Plug the front top fan header into CHA_FAN2 on your motherboard.
Plug the front middle fan header into CHA_FAN3 on your motherboard.
Plug the front bottom fan header into CHA_ FAN4 on your motherboard.

You can use any order you want just remember where you plugged the fan header positions into.

Now you should be able to control all fans (Manual, DC Mode; User Manual page 3-38 to part of 3-41).

Good reading:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/whats-the-difference-between-3-pin-fans-and-4-pin-pwm-fans.3...

I could be wrong. Let us know how it works out.