cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570-E Gaming and dual monitor problems

gabriel21st
Level 7
I recently did a fresh build with an AMD processor after being team Intel forever. For the most part, everything works great. One problem I started having was a blue screen during the Windows 10 bootup process with the error VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL. It turns out the Windows "fast startup" option was causing this problem. After disabling, I no longer had blue screens during boot.

However, another problem remained. Every time I boot, my second monitor is not detected by Windows for about 5 minutes. After that time the primary monitor goes dark and Windows makes the notification sound of a device being disconnected. Then either one of two things happen next: the second monitor is finally detected, or it fails to detect and I have to reboot for it to work.

I messed around with various boot options in the BIOS and eventually, as a last resort, disabled fast boot. This actually solved the problem.

This is all happening on a fresh install of Windows and clean-installed NVIDIA drivers (DDU used). Latest BIOS version as well (1407 as of writing).

Anyone have similar experiences? Recommendations to address the issue? Or am I just unlucky?

• Ryzen 7 3800X (stock)
  • ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
  • Team Force 2x8GB DDR4-3200 (XMP/OC not enabled yet)
  • GIGABYTE GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce
  • Boot drive is Samsung 850 Pro
15 REPLIES 15

RedSector73
Level 12
Could you get hwinfo and post the system summary screen. https://www.hwinfo.com/

Also can you confirm your ram is in positions 2 & 4 from the CPU.

gabriel21st
Level 7
Here you go:

Regarding the RAM placement... I actually have it in positions 1 and 3 from CPU (slots labeled DIMM_B1/DIMM_A1). This is because the system failed to POST with the RAM in the recommended DIMM_B2/DIMM_A2 slots. Coincidentally, my last board was an ASUS Z170-PRO with the exact same POST problem..

gabriel21st wrote:
Regarding the RAM placement... I actually have it in positions 1 and 3 from CPU (slots labeled DIMM_B1/DIMM_A1). This is because the system failed to POST with the RAM in the recommended DIMM_B2/DIMM_A2 slots. Coincidentally, my last board was an ASUS Z170-PRO with the exact same POST problem..

The problem with ram not posting on asus z170-pro does not have common causality perhaps you could explain the relationship to me.
If you can't run 2&4, your never be able to run XMP speed and could well be the source of the issues.

Can you post with single stick in 4 and/or 2 and then maybe, try both once single posts. Ideally you should be able to run XMP 3200 speed.

gabriel21st
Level 7
Funny enough, I decided to throw both sticks back in slots 2/4 and it actually POSTs. Turned on fast boot, and tried a cold boot. It POSTs successfully and the second monitor is detected as usual.

When I first had the problem I made sure the RAM was properly seated already.. I suppose it's feeling fine now.

The problem with ram not posting on asus z170-pro does not have common causality perhaps you could explain the relationship to me.

The relationship I had in mind was they are both ASUS boards, and I can only remember having this issue with ASUS boards.

Thanks for the help with troubleshooting. I'll continue to monitor 🙂

More than likely an earlier bios didn't like your ram or otherwise gave you grief. Once you feel you got all fixed with default speeds.
Make me happy as well, turn on DOCP / XMP try running 3200 profile, as well and enjoy your new system.

gabriel21st
Level 7
Unfortunately, the problem came back today. Second monitor wasn't detected until I rebooted. Turned off fast boot again..

gabriel21st wrote:
Unfortunately, the problem came back today. Second monitor wasn't detected until I rebooted. Turned off fast boot again..

Try another hdmi cable for the monitor. This issue is not related ~imo.

When you used DDU on the drivers, make sure you used SAFE mode in windows or else does not clear everything.

gabriel21st
Level 7
It has to be something related to fast boot, otherwise disabling fast boot wouldn't help. It's not the cable, because I've tried disconnecting my primary monitor before booting and it works fine. But I would try it again if I had another long cable. DDU is of course always run from safe mode.

I have never seen fastboot cause that type of issue before (always first time i guess).

Could you try this little program and see if any drivers are recommended or updated
https://sdi-tool.org/download/

Also could you (this is aimed at fixing any corruptions in windows OS), run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannnow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again.

Hope you find this of help.