cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GU502GV - Fan issues

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
Hi folks.

yet another post regarding my recently purchased GU502GV...

Two days ago, one of the fans started to sound "weird" (hard to describe) - as if something would obstruct the fan-blades from spinning.
As soon as the fan ramps-up to higher speeds, the scratching-sound goes away but would return as soon as the fan slows down / returns to "idle"-mode.

The Notebook has never been moved / transported, always been sitting on my desk - quite unsettling first impressions so far TBH (especially regarding the rather high retail-price).
Just wondering if someone else has had similar experiences with this particular model?

I've contacted the re-seller & they're willing to exchange the Notebook so here's hoping the new GU502GV won't break down after 7 days of use as well...

Best regards
9 REPLIES 9

redrooster808
Level 7
Did you have better luck with the exchange?

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Here is what I would do: Get a paper clip and unbend it. Then place it in the vent to prevent the fan from spinning. Then get a leaf blower and blow inside to get all dust and anything else out. If you don't have a leaf blower (which is the best to use here), then use a vacuum cleaner, but preferably one with a good, strong motor--and vacuum it out as best you can. Then check and see if you get the sound. If you still get the sound then I'd google the model number for videos that show you how to open your gizmo up. You can usually find ones for changing memory or putting in more ram. Then with it open I'd blow/vacuum it out (with the fans stopped from spinning) and look around for anything loose that might be hitting your fan(s). I'd also check to make sure the fan(s) is/are not somehow loose.

One caveat: I'd be careful though about doing anything that might void your warranty. So before opening it up I'd check the documentation.

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
@super Gnome
Thanks for the input / tips! Received an exchange-device but had to send this one back as well (thermal-issues / GPU-"safe-mode-throttling" after one week of use...)

@redrooster808
Well, the fans did work flawlessly... then the GPU started to act-up ("safe-mode-throttling") after only one week of use.
Sent it in for RMA / repair and sold it right away once it got returned...

I really liked the GL502VMK but the GU502GV was one hell of trouble...

Best regards & thanks again for your messages

Blake1
Level 10
Hello ATLANTICA_NFS,
I'm really sorry about this.
If you still have the record of the SN for both devices,
please kindly provide them through PM.
Thank you so much.

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
Hi Blake@ASUS,
thanks for your post - no worries, these things can happen. I guess I had some bad luck with the "in-stock"-batch.
I'll check whether I can recover both serial-numbers.

Best regards

Same thing here. Proud owner of a Zephyrus M up until about a month and a half ago, when the charger went. Sent it in under warranty (cost me $60 in postage, grr) and got it back 3 weeks later with a new charger. 4 days later, the left-side fan started to rattle. The computer is now out of warranty, so I'm probably facing a hefty BestBuy repair bill to fix that fan, since Asus don't sell replacement parts. I did actually take it apart and clean it out, and I was able to confirm that it's the actual fan rattling and not just a buildup of dust. I guess a bearing broke or something. As much as I love this computer, I am going to sell it as soon as I get this fan repaired, because 2 major reliability issues in my 6 months of ownership is not a good omen.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello novecho_delta,
May I have a record of the sound?
Thank you so much.

Hi Blake@ROG,

I'm so sorry I left you hanging for 14 months. I don't know why this would still be useful, but I can provide a recording if you would like - let me know.

I had the left side fan replaced at BestBuy last summer, only to have THE SAME issue happen with THE SAME FAN. In addition, I'm on my third charger, and it's on it's way out - failing in the same way as the last two I bought. I also woke up two days ago to my computer's trackpad no longer working. If anyone plans on buying this computer second hand or anything, DON'T. This is ridiculous, especially given that my computer isn't even 2 years old.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello novecho_delta,
May I have a record of the sound?
Thank you so much.

Hello Blake@ROG, I am having the same issue with my GU502LW - anything you can do?