cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair hero VI won't POST

Protip
Level 7
So I bought 2 x 8gb crucial ballitix 3600mhz ram to upgrade my computer from some similar micron ballistix sport 2400mhz. After installing the new ram I was able to boot into the bios and attempt to set the DOCP settings from the ram, it tried to post with these settings but was unable to and booted with 2666 jdec timings, I tried a few more times with different speeds then gave up and booted it at 2666. After using windows for about an hour I wrote down some timings and settings I wanted to try and shut down . Then I powered her up again so I could try some new settings in the bios, wouldn't even POST. Got stuck on post code b0 and wouldn't go past it.

I tried the safe boot button which reboots with last known safe settings but wouldn't post again, I also saw a few other post codes whilst trying to restart it including 15, 05 and d0. I tried putting in the old ram again but still I got similar post codes to last time, usually changing upon restarting it . I then tried various combinations of ram in all the different ram slots but nothing would post.

Also tried the clear CMOS button on the back with the power on and also with the power off and cable unplugged. The only thing I thought I hadn't tried was a bios flashback, so I downloaded the latest bios from the asus web page and put it on the 3 usb drives I had (after renaming with the utility). I then tried each usb in the flashback slot and held the button in for several seconds but it would only turn on hard blue, with an almost pulsing effect when pressed in for a few seconds, but nothing close to the activity I was expecting which would be the button flash on and off blue untill the flashback was completed
After this it would only show Q-Code 0D.
I decided to order more ram as a replacement for the new ram incase it was faulty and also some usb 2 drives to see if that would help with the flashback.
Que a few days a later the new ram arrives, I try that, unfortunately I get the same 0d Q-Code. Then I try loaded some bios's onto the usb drives, the most recent one, the previous one, and one from a year ago. The bios Flashback seems to be working now with these usb drives and completes to the point of flashing off completely. Unfortuantely when I boot after flashing a new bios I get a new assortment of Q-Codes, it flashes through RAM>CPU>VGA then gets stuck on VGA and flashes indefintely through a bunch of codes. After restarting after this assortment of Q-codes I then end up with the computer booting back into 0D untill I reflash another bios.

Here is a link to me videoing it cycling through post codes after booting from a new bios
https://youtu.be/C2N0sq2MZI4

Asus crosshair Vi hero motherboard

Custom loop so both GPU and CPU are on blocks

Fury R9 AMD GPU

1600x AMD CPU

Corsair 850w PSU
6 REPLIES 6

bluestang
Level 7
Try and set BOOT DRAM Voltage to the DOCP/XMP setting as well.

Use the 7704 BIOS https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Do a BIOS flashback, as covered in these videos

Also watch this one
https://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/

0d is an initialization error, listed as 'Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes'. Typically this error is between infinity fabric of the CPU syncing with your memory. Hitting reset after the error displays for 30 seconds or so, may cause it to find correct settings and be able to enter bios on reboot (max of about three times).

Try one stick of ram in (from the cpu) slot 4 or even try slot 2 is another way to get initial boot, then close down and add the other stick back in.

RedSector73 wrote:
Use the 7704 BIOS https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Do a BIOS flashback, as covered in these videos

Also watch this one
https://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/

0d is an initialization error, listed as 'Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes'. Typically this error is between infinity fabric of the CPU syncing with your memory. Hitting reset after the error displays for 30 seconds or so, may cause it to find correct settings and be able to enter bios on reboot (max of about three times).

Try one stick of ram in (from the cpu) slot 4 or even try slot 2 is another way to get initial boot, then close down and add the other stick back in.

I've tried bios flashback multiple times now with varying successes. For ages I could not even get the bios flashback to start, when I pressed the button it just stayed lit from the start, it never flashed off once, even with no USB inserted . Then eventually I managed to get the flashback feature to work once on a reboot, thats how I ended up in the state I linked in the youtube video in my post (the cycling through Q-codes). I tried flashing several different bios's old and new but none of them seemed to work. At the moment Im back to being unable to bios flashback for whatever reason I dont know, the light just stays solid blue the entire time I press it. it wont even initiate the bios flashback.

I also tried the ram in just slot 2 or 4 but it didn't seem to make a diference.

Protip wrote:
I've tried bios flashback multiple times now with varying successes. For ages I could not even get the bios flashback to start, when I pressed the button it just stayed lit from the start, it never flashed off once, even with no USB inserted . Then eventually I managed to get the flashback feature to work once on a reboot, thats how I ended up in the state I linked in the youtube video in my post (the cycling through Q-codes). I tried flashing several different bios's old and new but none of them seemed to work. At the moment Im back to being unable to bios flashback for whatever reason I dont know, the light just stays solid blue the entire time I press it. it wont even initiate the bios flashback.

I also tried the ram in just slot 2 or 4 but it didn't seem to make a diference.

So I managed to get the latest bios (7704) flashed onto it using the USB bios flashback function, unfortunately this doesn't seem to fix my issue, upon powering up after flashing the new bios the motherboard still cycles through the Q-codes endlessly like in the youtube video I linked in my first post

FredSAS
Level 7
HI Protip,

Just today I got my 3800X (upgrading from an 1800X) with nothing else changed.
I had the same 0D issue for about 30mins with the system freezing at the boot logo screen with press F2 or Del. This happened regardless of resetting the CMOS using the BIOS button on the back plate.

My solution was to remove both my ram sticks, then try each one at a time in Slot DIMM A2. Each time I powered off with the hardware PSU switch, then drained the power out of the system by trying to front power button till the lights went out. Then checked.
The second time (second ram stick), the system booted up properly, after that I went into the BIOS and reset all security boot keys (clear and reinstall) and the AMD Security Firmware (I had mine set to software). From that point the system has booted perfectly. After saving, I shut down again, installed the remaining RAM stick into DIMM B2 and went on into Windows from there. Never seen that error since.

Take your time to drain all power from the system restarting. This board seem to be really finicky about that and well as spamming delete key.

Hope this helps.
Fernando.

FredSAS wrote:
HI Protip,

Just today I got my 3800X (upgrading from an 1800X) with nothing else changed.
I had the same 0D issue for about 30mins with the system freezing at the boot logo screen with press F2 or Del. This happened regardless of resetting the CMOS using the BIOS button on the back plate.

My solution was to remove both my ram sticks, then try each one at a time in Slot DIMM A2. Each time I powered off with the hardware PSU switch, then drained the power out of the system by trying to front power button till the lights went out. Then checked.
The second time (second ram stick), the system booted up properly, after that I went into the BIOS and reset all security boot keys (clear and reinstall) and the AMD Security Firmware (I had mine set to software). From that point the system has booted perfectly. After saving, I shut down again, installed the remaining RAM stick into DIMM B2 and went on into Windows from there. Never seen that error since.

Take your time to drain all power from the system restarting. This board seem to be really finicky about that and well as spamming delete key.

Hope this helps.
Fernando.

Hey thanks for the detailed reply, your situation sounds somewhat similar to mine but Im starting to get a consistant behaviour from it.

Basically, once I start getting the error 0d, nothing will shift the computer from that error, not even removing all the power or the ram. Luckily enough I can flash a new bios using bios flashback consistantly now. So after getting error 0d, I need to remove all power, then flash bios 7704. After flashing this bios I usually get two goes before I'm back to the dreaded 0d error.
So after flashing bios 7704, I normally try one ram stick in the correct slot, power on, it cycles through some Q codes like in the videos I posted earlier then gets stuck on code 61. If I hit retry on the motherboard I get another restart then clycling through Q codes, this time the light stops at VGA and then stops at Q code b6, then after sitting there for a while it starts cycling through various other q codes with the same vga light lit up but never ever boots. I've tried this process multiple times with no success.

There has been one positive note though, two days ago whilst trying methods similar to the above, after leaving it for a few days unpowered and with a fresh bios flashes, it randomly booted after powering on. the Q codes cycled through to the point the bios started then the lights on the GPU lit up and I was in bios. I managed to even plug in a second dram module, and even take both modules out and install the new ones (still at stock 2400mhz speed). I moved the computer back to its place and used it for an hour. After coming back from work I powered it on and it just started stalling on the Q codes like above then back to 0d error and nothing happening. I'm now back to flashing a new bios every second restart to even get an attempt at POSTing.

This is frustrating me to hell being stuck in a lockdown with no computer and still having to go to work during the night. If anyone has any crazy ideas that might work I would very much appreciate them. I'm at my wits end here. Why does this motherboard have to give me so much issues @.@